PDA

View Full Version : Kent events 2010

Albie
15-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I thought I would start a thread listing some ideas we may have for next year. I felt this year was a bit light at times due to some weather issues again but we did do a fair bit. Alas I missed out on 8 weeks of stuff due to my own stupidity but am encouraged to do more next year.

The obvious ones like
Arrow Mill weekend May
MOB in September
BBQ again in July.
A chance to do WDW in June.
I want to go to Bologna again to factory visit.
I thinking of going to La Touquet for a day or weekend as I missed out last time.
I think I will go to Sammy Millers this year too
A trip up to Essex coast too.

Please post any ideas you wish to do.

alan c
15-11-2009, 02:06 PM
They all sound great Albie, i think if we worry about the weather to much we will never get out and about.
i also feel if people have a free day/weekend and want to do something they should post up and then if others are free and looking to get out then things will come together, even if its only a run to cafe for breakie or to a bike dealer ?

just a thought ? keep them coming !

uksurfer
15-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Maybe a Hants/Kent meet? :scratch:

Albie
15-11-2009, 02:29 PM
For sure thats a good idea. At that diner place.

kneedown
15-11-2009, 02:42 PM
prob not many in surrey

Albie
15-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Maybe you should start some ideas then or if no-one wants to be surrey rep ask to take over and bring some interest to area. You have to start with an interest to go and meet and enjoy your region/county.:ukm::tgoe::tgoe:

Gadget
15-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Maybe another bowling night.

uksurfer
15-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Not wishing to hijack, but i think that some of the reps have moved on to other bikes or are in hibernation, might be worth getting pedro to update the reps/regions for next year?

Albie
15-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Not wishing to hijack, but i think that some of the reps have moved on to other bikes or are in hibernation, might be worth getting pedro to update the reps/regions for next year?
You need to send him a pm. We are going to have a change in January probably as GT will stand down. And no not me.

Albie
15-11-2009, 02:58 PM
prob not many in surrey

You need to PM Didge who is your regional rep who lives in Smallfield. I popped in to see him last week so he and Jan are still alive and well. Made me sit on the floor though as no sofas :grump::grump::biggrin::biggrin:

Albie
15-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe another bowling night.

We can leave that to Scrapps to do. Good idea though.

More speedway nites in the summer though so we can ride in dry.

And a Thorpe Park day out for adults only.

Rematch Paintballing

uksurfer
15-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Sammy millars i think was done by one of the other clubs, hope they'll do it again next year, i was between bikes for that one! the diner sounds good nice food for a meet up in the summer and maybe the run from Box Hill to goodwood again for some 'inter-county' meets?

Albie
15-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I went there on my first ever UKMOC meet over 5 years ago. It was around May and wet and I think it was Italian bike day

gary tompkins
15-11-2009, 04:16 PM
The inter-county meets are a good idea, and would help boost interest in areas that need a lift. If we did a couple of these a year I would be up for it. Obvious jaunts for Kent include London, Sussex, Surrey, Essex and maybe Hampshire.

I'll look into group booking paintball for 2010, but it's difficult to schedule event's like this as UKMOC has such a full calender these days.

Grumpy
15-11-2009, 07:37 PM
A trip up to Essex coast too.''

I live in north essex, so if you would like a tour of some interesting roads, i'd be more than willing to act as a guide.:yoparty:

Shuffy
17-11-2009, 06:15 PM
They all sound great Albie, i think if we worry about the weather to much we will never get out and about.
i also feel if people have a free day/weekend and want to do something they should post up and then if others are free and looking to get out then things will come together, even if its only a run to cafe for breakie or to a bike dealer ?

just a thought ? keep them coming !

I think it's great that people just post an idea up before a weekend and anyone that's about can just tag along. The ad hoc nature of it means there's always something happening and people don't have to commit too far in advance. I agree with Alan that sometimes we can all be put off by the prospect of bad weather, but sometimes you can end up having a great day despite the rain (JP's day trip to Le Touquet and the rained off grass track resulting in a very pleasant afternoon in a pub). It doesn't need to be anything fancy, Alan's afterwork evening jaunts ending up at the Pied Bull in Farningham and Albie's trips to the coast were all great in the Summer, it's what biking's all about really.

I think all the suggestions made are great and I'd like to add a few more to the pot:

1. Grasstrack (again!) - Surely we must get a day when it doesn't rain??

2. Speedway - Airhorns and clipboards essential, maybe a curry afterwards next time?

3. A trials meeting - There are lots in Kent and Sussex and I know Alan's son rides regularly

4. Beach racing - Mostly a winter event http://www.xtreme-action-images.com/sandrace/dates.html

5. Short Track - Like racing used to be... http://www.shorttrackuk.com/ Check out the indoor event on 27 December in Essex

6. The Isle of Wight - I love foreign travel, can we do that in a day? Hampshire types, is that do'able?

7. The mysterious county of Essex! - I keep meaning to 'cross the water' and explore and Grumpy's offer is an excellent one. I also have an interest in military history, so how about a tour round some of the old WWII airbases in Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk or a trip to Duxford maybe (not everyones bag I know)

8. And on the same theme, a weekend battlefield tour in Northern France. This guy http://www.martinpegler.com/ does accompanied tours on a bike and he can taylor it to any personal searches etc

9. And how about some non-riding events? Maybe a boat tour out to the seaforts on the Kent coast, clay pigeon shooting or maybe just a good old curry (or Italian!) one evening.

10. And finally the Pied Bull, Farningham on Boxing Day. If you've never been, basically the whole village gets taken over by bikes, nothing's really organised, but there's hot refreshments and it's a great way of escaping the usual Christmas excess.

We're really lucky that we have a lot of very active and enthusiastic people in and around the Kent area and long may it all continue. So if you've got an idea, just do it! Roll on 2010!

Albie
17-11-2009, 06:26 PM
We can borrow Scrapps dads boat and visit the forts maybe. Take some rods out too.

Shuffy
17-11-2009, 06:31 PM
We can borrow Scrapps dads boat and visit the forts maybe. Take some rods out too.

Do you know many people called Rod? :D

uksurfer
17-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Isle of Wights a goer, sure we can meet up and all go over, takes about 2 and a bit hours from albies house to my house if i remember, the ferrys about 30 minutes from mine, boats about 40 minutes so it should be ok! (dont forget ur passports):look:

Albie
17-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Well we will go straight to is it Southsea or Portsmouth. I used to race offshore speedboats at Southsea but was classed as the Portsmouth race.
Can we do this when nice and warm months not like the old days in late september. Leave this with you then Martin and can you check out times of ferries roughly and prices for bikes next year.

Albie
17-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Do you know many people called Rod? :D

Stewart.Lever.Hull.Emilys Driver.Rod(ney)

uksurfer
17-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Well we will go straight to is it Southsea or Portsmouth. I used to race offshore speedboats at Southsea but was classed as the Portsmouth race.
Can we do this when nice and warm months not like the old days in late september. Leave this with you then Martin and can you check out times of ferries roughly and prices for bikes next year.

can't do power boat racing its too costly these days...:running:
we can sort ferries and times and stuff from this end no problem, we can go from Southampton,or Lymington, but i guess pompei's nearer to you guys!

Shuffy
17-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Stewart.Lever.Hull.Emilys Driver.Rod(ney)

That's a boat full then!!

Shuffy
17-11-2009, 06:48 PM
can't do power boat racing its too costly these days...:running:
we can sort ferries and times and stuff from this end no problem, we can go from Southampton,or Lymington, but i guess pompei's nearer to you guys!

Well that sounds like an event then! Hurrah, well done chaps!

J.P
17-11-2009, 06:53 PM
I'll be looking at short trips across the Channel again for a bit of garlic flair.
How about Motorcycle beach racing in Le Touquet on Feb 6th or 7th ?
Massive event every year where they build a whole sand dune course on the beachfront.

Albie
17-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I'll be looking at short trips across the Channel again for a bit of garlic flair.
Massive event every year where they build a whole sand dune course on the beachfront.

Good possibility J.P

uksurfer
17-11-2009, 07:08 PM
http://www.sammymiller.co.uk/newsandevents.asp

Looks like Sammy Millars could be june 6th, last year it was Italian theme, not sure whether it would be the same again?
Theres a short write up of last years event in the to follow 'link'

Albie
17-11-2009, 07:10 PM
http://www.sammymiller.co.uk/newsandevents.asp

Looks like Sammy Millars could be june 6th, last year it was Italian theme, not sure whether it would be the same again?
Theres a short write up of last years event in the to follow 'link'

I can do as not going to WDW now.

alan c
17-11-2009, 07:15 PM
All great ideas, looking forward to next year already :yoparty:

Albie, pity about WDW :(

Rodney you plonker !

uksurfer
17-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Albies going to be busy getting all these T-shirts printed :mand:

Albie
17-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Albies going to be busy getting all these T-shirts printed :mand:

No scrapps is the tee shirt man. We already have touring shirts from 2008 trip

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/UKMOC%20to%20MOB%20Belgium%202008/BelgiumTourGuinnessRecordAttempt-102.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/UKMOC%20to%20MOB%20Belgium%202008/BelgiumTourGuinnessRecordAttempt-62.jpg

chris yeatman
17-11-2009, 07:43 PM
may be we could get some arrow mill, and belgium shirts for 2010?

Albie
17-11-2009, 08:19 PM
may be we could get some arrow mill, and belgium shirts for 2010?

Just see Scrapps for them 1 offs or 100's

Grumpy
17-11-2009, 08:23 PM
7. The mysterious county of Essex! - I keep meaning to 'cross the water' and explore and Grumpy's offer is an excellent one. I also have an interest in military history, so how about a tour round some of the old WWII airbases in Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk or a trip to Duxford maybe (not everyones bag I know)

9. And how about some non-riding events? Maybe a boat tour out to the seaforts on the Kent coast, clay pigeon shooting or maybe just a good old curry (or Italian!) one evening.

A tour of the WWII airbases in Essex, Suffolk & norfolk would take more than a day, there's dozen's of them!Although the roads around many of them are fun.
Duxford is about 30mins from where I live and if aircraft is your 'thing' it's fantastic.
I would suggest that if anyone is interested in going to Duxford, the yearly Flying Legends is the show to see, lots of WWII aircraft. Last time I went ( about 6 yrs ago) there was atleast 10 spitfires in the air at the sametime, the noise was incredible.

As for the suggested boat trip, any room for an essex boy?:spin:

gary tompkins
17-11-2009, 09:09 PM
A tour of the WWII airbases in Essex, Suffolk & norfolk would take more than a day, there's dozen's of them!Although the roads around many of them are fun.
Duxford is about 30mins from where I live and if aircraft is your 'thing' it's fantastic.
I would suggest that if anyone is interested in going to Duxford, the yearly Flying Legends is the show to see, lots of WWII aircraft. Last time I went ( about 6 yrs ago) there was atleast 10 spitfires in the air at the sametime, the noise was incredible.

Yes please - any idea of dates?

Grumpy
17-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Yes please - any idea of dates?

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/conEvent.3151

See attached link, it's a great day out. Big boys toys !

Unit 18
18-11-2009, 01:21 PM
9. And how about some non-riding events? Maybe a boat tour out to the seaforts on the Kent coast,

I'm more than happy to take people for a free trip out there, probably be better in spring though. :spin:

The boat.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/Laguna1972/Planing005.jpg

Albie
18-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Excellant and what a nice boat.Have you any rods :running::running::woot: eh AlanC

alan c
18-11-2009, 05:15 PM
PLONKER :woot: Nice boat, need the Miami vice theme tune !

Humbucker
19-11-2009, 02:38 PM

That i like the sound of

jimbo696
19-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Great idea... wanted to do that last year but weather was atrocious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.P
19-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Not sure it gets busy enough......

http://www.enduropaledutouquet.fr/www/en/home_page/media/enduropale_2009.aspx

Shuffy
23-11-2009, 06:07 PM

As for the suggested boat trip, any room for an essex boy?:spin:

That's a great suggestion, definitely one for the diary. Are there a few old airbases that we could string together to make a decent ride on another day Grumpy, maybe an ice cream or two as well?

Unit 18's offer of a boat trip sounds rather good, is the Crocket & Tubbs linen suit compulsory or will a large lifejacket and flare gun suffice? I think the summer would be great, when it's warm, dry and calm!

JP's Le Touquet beach race idea is a great idea, it's an easy ride (we did it earlier this year), although I may have to pass on that one due to imminent arrival of small person number one at the end of January.

So all in all, loads of ideas for next year, horrah!!

Grumpy
23-11-2009, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=Shuffy;330717]That's a great suggestion, definitely one for the diary. Are there a few old airbases that we could string together to make a decent ride on another day Grumpy, maybe an ice cream or two as well?

No problem stringing togeather some of the old bases and to end up somewhere with an ice cream.
I'm also willing, if you guys are interested, to meet you near the Dartford Crossing and guide you xcountry to Duxford for the Flying Legends air day.There are so fun roads from south essex up to Duxford.

Shuffy
24-11-2009, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=Shuffy;330717]That's a great suggestion, definitely one for the diary. Are there a few old airbases that we could string together to make a decent ride on another day Grumpy, maybe an ice cream or two as well?

No problem stringing togeather some of the old bases and to end up somewhere with an ice cream.
I'm also willing, if you guys are interested, to meet you near the Dartford Crossing and guide you xcountry to Duxford for the Flying Legends air day.There are so fun roads from south essex up to Duxford.

Brilliant!! You're on!! I don't even need to get the Tw*tNav out, thanks Grumpy.

Albie
24-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Count me in.

Dare I say on here a trip to Bologna via aeroplane of course.

gary tompkins
24-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Count me in.

Dare I say on here a trip to Bologna via aeroplane of course.

It's on my "places of interest" SatNav list for June 2010 ;)