PDA

View Full Version : Small Decision Big Consequence

ducmon83
09-11-2009, 12:50 PM
well on the 8th Oct i was on my usual commute to work when a van pulled out in front me from the right. i was in 'normal lane' so moved to bus lane to avoid it. he then decided he wanted to take junction now on my immediate left. no indication and def no mirror check, i saw the front of the van moving towards me, so picked my escape route and started breaking. unfortunately i could only scrub a little speed before losing the front on raised cobbled junction. myself and bike then pinged off those steel/concrete posts they put on junctions to protect pedestrians and kill off bikers. result = broken right tib and fib and left arm. 12 day stay in St Thomas and 5 operations to date.

i've obviously had some time to consider things, and what annoys me the most is that although he was to blame (witnesses & police confirmed) i know i could have avoided it. at some point i decided to pass him in bus lane rather then breaking and staying behind him. that decision has cost me dear. Physically i will heal, and financially i will be re-reimbursed (personal injury claim pending) but, I've lost so much more than that. Having recently asked my girlfriend to marry me, i could not put her or my mother through that kind of grief again. as a result I've promised not to ride the bike on the road again. Not a small thing as I'm sure you lot will appreciate. i love riding. and will miss it dearly. i have decided to keep the bike and re-build as trackday bike. The UKMOC day at Cadwell park was awesome and i'll settle for that a few times a year.

on the plus side I'm getting married and couldn't be happier about that!

so its goodbye for now, but not for long...

Space Cadet
09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
So sorry to hear of your accident. And congrats on getting married. My wife hates me going out on my bike and has made me promise to sell it when/if we have kids (planed for 2 years time) so I know that if I ever have an accident in the meantime I will sell it just out of ‘respect’ for her.

I think you are making the right decision, best of luck for the future!!

desmo
09-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Sorry to hear that you have hurt yourself, take a little more time to think about not riding anymore though, wait till you are fully healed before you make your mind up.
You may have a different perspective on it in 4 months time.
All the best, whatever you decide

Phil.

J.P
09-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Jeez, I'm really sorry to hear that. I really, really hope you'll get better soon and Desmo's correct, don't rush to make decisions, same with Wedding's, took me twice to get that one right.
And I'm glad you're still thinking of using it as a track bike, I'll keep you posted on any dates for next year.
Get well soon. :)

scrapps
09-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Ouch sorry to hear about your off.
As others have said take your time to recover and see how you go.

Get well soon and congrats on the wedding.

PDL
09-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Sorry to hear it mate.

I am married and have a 15 month old and another due in March. I have been riding 22 years but my riding has now changed, I no longer go daft and have recently taken the Bike Safe with a view of taking the IAM. For me going daft is now for the track only and I live very near Oulton.

By the sounds of it you were unlucky but as you said it is the small decisions that have the biggest impact.

kneedown
09-11-2009, 02:50 PM
sorry to hear about your off but as others have said i think you need to give it time 'i had a bad one few years ago hit a car with me doing about 40[sorry mate never saw you ] i now do not go as mad but would not want to have to stop going out for a run with the lads

LouSCannon
09-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Really sorry to hear that Dean, but good to know you are at least ok. Did wonder why I hadn't seen you post recentley!

It's a story I've heard more then once, and at the end of the day if you're not comfortable riding on the roads then, for now at least, you're making the right choice.

Hope to see you at some more track days next year anyway, and best wishes for the wedding!

Albie
09-11-2009, 03:44 PM
After my off I knew I had too ride again. It like yours was an incident that I may have been able to avoid, had I not thanked someone fo letting me in. That was my error and unlike yours it was really my fault through bad observation and too much going on at a notorious accident blackspot. I do not blame you for letting go of bike as you must feel that they cannot feel comfortable with your safety. We are all at risk whether riding walking or driving but you are in London City so thats double risk. Were you commuting and if so can you not just ride for pleasure occasionly.
Whatever you do I hope you have a good life when you marry and have kids . Good luck to you both.:D:D

Diego
09-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry to hear that you have hurt yourself, take a little more time to think about not riding anymore though, wait till you are fully healed before you make your mind up.
You may have a different perspective on it in 4 months time.
All the best, whatever you decide

Phil.

Totally agree on the above. Give it some time as the crash is still so fresh in your mind. Each accident is a lesson learned and experience does help to keep safe in the London commuter madness.

I nearly crashed into a girl this morning at the city end of London bridge as she crossed between cars without looking. After three offs in London I finally applied both brakes rather then just panic and squeeze the front. Bloody scary though!!! She was just one millimeter away when I came to a complete stop. Saved by hydraulic brakes. Yeah baby!!!

Very sorry to hear about your off though m8. Wish you a speedy recovery. Where abouts in London did it happen?

p.s. Congrats on the wedding!!!

MrsJel
09-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I hope you recover quickly and congrats on the wedding news

As for your decision not to ride, its a natural reaction

I'm off work at the moment (prob about 8 weeks) with a broken radius - only had one op and its only one limb so not as bad as your incident. I know i could have avoided it too. but i will go back to what i was doing at the time - hill walking.

sorry to make light, but hope all goes well

uksurfer
09-11-2009, 05:35 PM
sorry to hear of your accident, hopefully you'll be mended and up again soon.
I'm sure that when you feel better, you might see riding differently than you do know.
I for one can see where you and others are coming from concerning wife/children.
It does make you ride differently, and i take fewer risks than what i used to, plus, my wife used to love coming out pillion on the bike, but has never been near it since the littlun was born.
Good luck in your future together :spin:

LVC
09-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Naf news sir - accident not wedding (congrats on that). I moved country so I could continue to enjoy bikes without risking life and limb everyday on the London commute.

Your reaction is very normal - give yourself time to mend and see how you feel.

He11cat
10-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Congrats..
Think and talk it over.. not a light decision.
I had an off and was told by then partner that it was no more bikes for me...biggest mistake ever ..

We split after 13 years and I got another bike ..One huge reason we split was the fact I lost my bike and a huge part of my life and persona!
It bubbled away at me for years and I really resented him!
My friend said you can get hit by a bus walking across the road! so true!

I am doing IAM course just to be safer i hope

Just never say never.. its because they love you.. but with everything in life there comes a risk and we can't wrap everything we love in cotton wool..
But hey congrats and good luck!

ducmon83
10-11-2009, 09:14 AM
thanks for all the messages. its a big help to know there's lots of like minded people out there who have gone through similar stuff.

As for the pain, its not too bad, got some excellent pain killers which remind me of being back at Uni!

Don't worry, i'm not saying i won't ride again. i will, and it will def be on a duc! its just i've had to make a compromise for the soon to be wifey... first of many i'm sure!!

StuartJames
10-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Congratulations on getting married and sorry to hear about the off. It happens to the best,

I agree with some of the comments above about waiting a little while before you decide to not ride your bike on the roads anymore.

Doing it for your wife is fine, but you have to remember that she met and fell in love with you when you rode your bike. If you suddenly change (this and that) once your married, are you still going to be that same person?

You'll be back to normal again in no time at all, and the best thing to do is to get back on it. Live life and live long.

craigie
10-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't want to sound like a doom monger but I knew someone who was into scooters and bikes as he grew up, rode all the time, got married and had a kid. Admittedly he sold his bike for financial reasons but was killed a few months later in a car crash, he wasn't driving.
I can understand why you want to reduce the risks but I believe when your time's up it's up and there's not much you can do about it. I was sliding along the road wearing bits of myself and bike away a couple of weeks ago and have a lovely hole in my knee to remind me, I'm lucky as few feet more sliding would have been a very different outcome.

As long as you're happy with the decision that's all that really matters though.