PDA

View Full Version : Bollox... I came off the bike :(

yantheman
01-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Ah well, **** happens I guess :( Doing 25 on the bus lane (the bus lane covered with leaves) with a long queue of traffic to my right along Seven Sisters Road, 4-5 cars ahead a car indicating to turn left, I eased off the throttle and touch the front brake... the front went and the next second I was on the bus lane looking at some cars rear wheel :Furious:

Anyway damages are minimal (if that can be called that) bent handle bar, right foot peg grind off about 5 mm and deformed, R&G Aero bungs took the impact and grind off about 10mm and also bend, rear brake lever also bend, dented tank and front fairing scratched on the right hand side (don't even know how that happened)

Thanks for the Focus driver helped me and picked up the bike as I was a bit confused and disorientated...

So I need to get a 02-03 620ie stock handle bar... can anyone help?

Yan

Headhunter
01-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Hey Yan,

Sorry to hear about the fall. Most important thing is you're okay, fella.

I've got one back in the UK - will ask the olds to look for it and will let you know.

Hope you get everything else sorted.

p.s. sorry for not replying to your PM yet. Has been manic of late.

yantheman
01-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah Thanks Jon, I heard of your good news as well :)

Will PM you. :D congratulations

Albie
01-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Yan you have my sympathys mate. Im glad its not too bad other than the tank dent. Thats the worst one. Glad your not broken and bike fixed relatively easy.

Take care mate.

StuartJames
01-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Good to hear you're OK Yan.
And thanks for the warning about those slippy leaves.

Robot
01-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear about the off.
Those low speed stumbles are really annoying.
Did something similar in June and was surprised how much damage you can do at that speed.
As long as you're OK tho'.
Regards Rob.

Diego
01-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Glad to hear your ok Yan. You can count on my sympathies too.

Hope the tank is not too bad!

yantheman
01-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone... the leaves are lethal! I wasn't even squeeezing the front brake... I touched the lever and off I went (I guess I wasn't totally upright at the time)... need to email R&G and to buy a replacement bung from them... without it the result would have been much worse... the brake lever was scratched as well but I am not too bother about that.

The bike rides a bit weird as well, I will have a good look tomorrow to see if anything else is damaged...

Ride safe, stay clear of the leaves or use your rear brake! :D

Diego
01-11-2009, 03:52 PM
glad the bungs worked for you.

BluprintZ
01-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Bad news Yan, glad you are relatively un-injured mate.
I'll bet it was a mixture of Leaves and Diesel, i nearly copped it a few months back when i pulled into a bus-stop lay-by, fortunately i didn't touch the front brake but the back-end was flapping a bit, loads of diesel from the buses all over the place.

G ; )

yantheman
01-11-2009, 05:52 PM
glad the bungs worked for you.

Thanks for the bungs Diego, that was money well spent, and it was a bargain to begin with!

Bad news Yan, glad you are relatively un-injured mate.
I'll bet it was a mixture of Leaves and Diesel, i nearly copped it a few months back when i pulled into a bus-stop lay-by, fortunately i didn't touch the front brake but the back-end was flapping a bit, loads of diesel from the buses all over the place.

G ; )

Could very well have been diesel and leaves. I went back to the spot and I saw the marks on the road, both the foot peg right handle bar end and the crash bung dragged on the road for good 5 - 6 metres before my bike came to a stop and the point where it all initially started was very slippery even when I walk on there... would be extra careful in bus lane with leaves for sure! :fou:

bex
01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Thats horrible Yan, sorry to hear to came off, but glad you aren't hurt.

Which bit of Seven Sisters was it? I'm on that road daily....

yantheman
01-11-2009, 06:39 PM
yeah not great but I am grateful that I am not hurt (a bit... now my right hand is a bit bruised)...

I was on my way home and heading towards Tottenham. It was after Manor House tube... the bit of Seven Sisters Road between Amhurst Park and Saint Anns Road...

Thats horrible Yan, sorry to hear to came off, but glad you aren't hurt.

Which bit of Seven Sisters was it? I'm on that road daily....

pegboy
01-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Yan that's horrible news mate, glad your ok that's the main thing and the bike can be repaired.

Let me know if i can help at all i'm only around the corner.

ladybird
01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Hope you are and the bike are less damaged than you think.
I have various bits of monster about, some of them may fit better than those leathers :)

yantheman
01-11-2009, 07:55 PM
:D hope so Ladybird

Zimbo
01-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Bad luck Yan, those R&G bungs are so worth having though! Hope you don't hurt in the morning.

Liz
01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
My stupid 'off' was because there was a detour off the main road due to an accident - unfamiliar road, crap lights, camber too far to the left...................fell off and had to flag the next car driver to help me pick up the bike! Broken gear lever and had to get recovery!

Trouble is, I think it's probably more likely that you'll have an 'accident' in slow traffic than fast!

kneedown
01-11-2009, 08:24 PM
well that could be true i hit a car i was doing about 35/38 he was just pulling out if it had been a lot faster would prob not be here

Liz
01-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I went over the bonnet of a car which pulled out in front of me - yep, it was only on my
FS1E but, it was at 30mph and it still hurt! Yan, hope you get better soon!

If anyone does it again, I'll ..............................

Funkatronic
01-11-2009, 10:02 PM
mate so sorry to hear glad yr ok though,
your right the leaves are a major pain, was cycling along the canal tow path near mine yesterday and nearly ended up in the drink due to wet leaves

also just got back from New York where i managed to bin my mates scooter due to 1" coating of black sand all over the road on a major corner so my sympathies doubly so mate :on:

J.P
02-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Damn, sorry to hear about your unplanned dismount.
Hope you're all on the mend soon.

jimbo696
02-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Sorry to hear that chaps... Hope you and bikes are on the mend soon...

Salutary lesson... roads are bloody greasy at this time of year...:(

bex
02-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Bloody irritating little things which make people come off half the time; I dropped mine in a car park as I was reversing out of a space and my foot slipped on a patch of gravel and I lost it.

There was no one there though so I had to pick it up myself almost a full tank of fuel too, bet that looked funny; still not sure how on earth I managed it.

Hope you get the repairs done without too much trouble Yan. Is the tank dent bad? Btw when you ready for the cans?

Scott1
02-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Yan, sorry to hear about your off and hope your bike gets sorted out quickly. I'm also on the Seven Sisters Rd quite a bit, its a dodgy road without the leaves.

mintyhit
02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
That's a total ****ter Yan but I am glad you are ok mate!

I am sure the excellent boys and girls here will have your bike all fixed up in no time.

yantheman
02-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi Bex, now I looked and the right exhaust was also scratched as well.. lol another excuse to get some high level so I won't scratch them when I come off next time :D I should have the money next week if it is still ok with you.

Bloody irritating little things which make people come off half the time; I dropped mine in a car park as I was reversing out of a space and my foot slipped on a patch of gravel and I lost it.

There was no one there though so I had to pick it up myself almost a full tank of fuel too, bet that looked funny; still not sure how on earth I managed it.

Hope you get the repairs done without too much trouble Yan. Is the tank dent bad? Btw when you ready for the cans?

Will post some pictures up to show the extend of the damage...

my right hand and shoulder are hurting now :eyepopping:

bex
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Eek, hope no other aches and pains appear!

I'm out of the country 7th-14th so I guess I'll see you after that if its ok.

BluprintZ
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
well that could be true i hit a car i was doing about 35/38 he was just pulling out if it had been a lot faster would prob not be here

Hmm, but if you had been going a lot faster Chris, you would have gone past the junction before he got to it although i agree, had you hit him at speed it would have been much worse, so it's all relative i suppose.

G ; )

yantheman
02-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks for everybody's kind words...

Here are some photos of the aftermath, I am glad the damages are minimal... still a bummer! My tank!!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2673/4067789631_1e41dea7c9_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2764/4067804047_c25c31eda1_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2666/4067790017_400ea83d08_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2711/4067789271_965db90918_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2686/4067788977_a8f746e99a_o.jpg

pegboy
02-11-2009, 03:20 PM
did you not have you tank cover on?

yantheman
02-11-2009, 04:17 PM
did you not have you tank cover on?

I have the cover on the tank all the time. I took it off to take the photo... the handle bar was bent by the impact when the bike landed on the tarmac and then the start button housing dented the tank :banghead:

I wonder if some paintless dent removal repair would work here?

gremlin
03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
I had a ding in the tank just like that one from just dropping it , couldn't get it out by suction so filled it, there was an even bigger one which had been previously filled by last owner. It's a pity there isn't a way of getting handle bars to fold up on impact so it doesn't happen.

TMS
03-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi Yan,

Did something similar the weekend before last on my 02 620ie.

Dave Robinson @ ducatibikes.co.uk had a set of stock bars in the shop, they came to about £60.

I managed to get all the other bits from Metropolis, at only mildly painfull prices.

Good Luck

loz
03-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Hey Yan, really sorry to hear about that! Although I'm glad you are fine and, from the pictures you posted, the bike doesn't look too bad either.

StuartJames
07-11-2009, 09:09 AM
How's the bike going Yan, managed to get all the parts for it? :pd:

yantheman
07-11-2009, 09:46 AM
A bit busy lately and still need to source all the parts for the bike. Will get handle bars from Ladybird... the rest will try to sort them out in the next few days. :D

Yan

benson
07-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Yan - so sorry to hear about your off - hope that you aren't too sore and that the bits and pieces are relatively easy and cheap to source...

just back from Hong Kong - saw a Paul Smart rep in silver and an 1100s - very nice and very nice to chat with their owners who were both near Pok Fu Lam - I ought to have had a UKMOC card with me!

Take it easy and see you soon,

Benson