PDA

View Full Version : Nurburgring

Bigxr
27-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi,
I'm considering a visit to "the ring" next year, does anyone have any stories/advice/videos/photos from there? I'm not planning going before june/july, Its a long way off I know, and lots will undoubtedly happen betwixt cup and lip, but I'd be wondering if anyone would like to come along? :flag:
Cheers.

LouSCannon
27-10-2009, 07:21 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=34901&highlight=green+hell

Bigxr
27-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Ah yes! seen that thread, awesome video at the top. The rider is obviously a ring veteran, nearly 300km/h!!!

He11cat
27-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I have some advise ...... Don't go on the MZ lol :)

NattyBoy
27-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Always been on my 'list' but I've heard too many horror stories of tuned up porsche going pop and dumping oil everywhere ! I'm going in spring but it will be in the alpina.

Pedro
27-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm going in spring but it will be in the alpina.

Yeah, perish the thought you might actually ride one of your bikes.....

:chuckle::chuckle:

Bigxr
27-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I have some advise ...... Don't go on the MZ lol :)

lol! Not far from its birthplace tho!!

Just as an aside, if you think MZ's are quirky, I had a ride on a Leccy MX bike tonite, Evo1made by Quantya. Amazing, light as a feather (well, an 85kg feather!) silent and powerful enough to flip if your not careful. Check out http://www.quantya.co.uk
Sign of things to come? - Someone also lapped the IOM on a leccy bike at nearly 80 (which would give a sub-10 minute nurburgring lap).
Whos laughing at Sinclair now then eh? eh?
And NO I didnt have one!
:o

J.P
28-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I did the Ring back in September along with LousCannon, Slob and Logyk.

First thing to be very aware of, IS THAT YOU WILL GET CUT UP BY A CAR. Fact.
But if you know that, you're half prepared.

Secondly, try to find a Tuesday to Thursday where you can go, either for the day, or like us the evening. The evening session we did was open for 90 minutes but that's plenty of time. Wait for 30 minutes so that most of the cars & bikes that turn up have gone. Remember, 30 minutes or so, could be about three laps if you're fast and three laps is 40 miles of hard riding & concentration. After that the number of people using the track thins out and still gives you plenty of time to be on track.
Even a hour with a slow 13 minute lap gives you 4 laps of fun. Plus 4 laps is 75 Euro's, so that's plenty of time, money, wear & tear and risk for one evening....

Bigxr
28-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks JP top advice indeed.
I think its easy to get carried away by some of the videos on the web, which are taken from the cockpit of some outstanding riders/drivers who really know their way around. What's much more useful is the words of wisdom from those like you who have visited for the first time.
Thanks.
(one of the sports bike riders from the club is already talking about sub 9 minute laps -idiot!)

LouSCannon
28-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Go at your own pace and remember it's a road, not a track day, good luck!

kneedown
28-10-2009, 11:01 AM
it is one of the best known race tracks in the world 'what do you mean its a road ???????
i've never heard brands talked about like the A1

LouSCannon
28-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Because it is, it is NOT a race track.

It is classed as a German de-restricted one way carriage way. All vehicles must be road worthy, licensed and taxed.

Overtaking is only allowed on the left... this is exactly why there are so many accidents, due to un-informed tourists thinking it's a free for all.

Full information can be found: http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/2009/Nordschleife/GeneralTerms%2BConditionsNS2009.pdf

The internet is a wonderful source of information.

kneedown
28-10-2009, 12:27 PM
it's funny reading your link i see the word track at least 15 times and racing track
so i would guess they think it is a track

Bigxr
28-10-2009, 12:35 PM
But ZE shermans af Rules unt zey VILL be obeyed!

LouSCannon
28-10-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm sorry Kneedown, seeing as you took my post literally I took yours literally also. If nothing else I'm happy to have helped towards your education of the ring at least. :)

But ZE shermans af Rules unt zey VILL be obeyed!

Heheh that link is on two big boards there but I think the rules are quite lax. We had all of our documents but didn't need to present them when buying tickets.

I do have a feeling the rules would be used in an accident however.

I think the harshest was the 95Db noise limit, but we didn't see that being enforced either, there were a few cars that were past that (As well as Rob's bike hehe). Again, probably best to be safe just in case. I'm told the main noise sensors are just before the first bridge.

Can't speak for the other guys but on my laps most stick to the driving on the right, the one or two times I overtook someone they indicated and took the right line, and likewise I started to do the same when I spotted someone coming up behind me.

Bigxr
28-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks Lou, also good advice.
All the videos I have seen so far (ze taking of vich iss against ze rules!) have confirmed that overtaking is done on the left and seems to be well observed.
I'm looking forward to it now.

LouSCannon
28-10-2009, 02:01 PM
If in doubt do what I did about three years ago, and many others still do, and just rent a Porsche or SLK from Europcar for a day or two and thrash it round before giving it back :)

kneedown
28-10-2009, 02:38 PM
i do not really think you helped my education at all 'you have been to the ring so i would think new it was a race track .

LouSCannon
28-10-2009, 02:52 PM
*sighs* Kneedown, please, just read, originally I said track DAY. You will also note I explained the main reason behind stating that was it is treated not as a track day or a track but as a public road.

You really are hard work... besides isn't this where you say "why do I bother" and go off to sulk? For this thread's sake if you feel you need to make a further point or want to continue to be irksome just message me.

chris yeatman
28-10-2009, 08:44 PM
i think the only way to be is go round at ur own pace, and be safe

kneedown
28-10-2009, 09:03 PM
*sighs* Kneedown, please, just read, originally I said track DAY. You will also note I explained the main reason behind stating that was it is treated not as a track day or a track but as a public road.

You really are hard work... besides isn't this where you say "why do I bother" and go off to sulk? For this thread's sake if you feel you need to make a further point or want to continue to be irksome just message me.

i'am hard work don'treply to my thread then that would bemuch better

Bigxr
28-10-2009, 09:27 PM
i think the only way to be is go round at ur own pace, and be safe

I agree, and its what I intend - at least as long as I can keep the red mist at bay!! :mand:

How much of a problem is faster stuff coming up behind you? My mirrors give me a nice surprise and a different view every time I look into them - especially at speed. (Something I may well have to sort out with some better mirrors before next year).

Fastfasulli
28-10-2009, 09:32 PM
The ring is awesome, everybody should go there at some point in their life.

Might be an idea to go with an established tour company who do a guided ride down there and then guide you round the ring itself. The company I went with were brilliant but after many years doing the ring and many other euro track days hung up their leathers for the quiet life. There are probably others companies that do it nowadays though.

One fact I remember from the times I went is that if you damage the armco by crashing into it they send you a bill for the repair...:shocked:

kneedown
28-10-2009, 09:38 PM
i've been to the tt 15 times 'it was good few years ago out of town fast as you like .not the same now
is the ring better ????????

CK & AK
29-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Contact this fella: http://www.nurburgring.co.uk/links.html

Mav (aka Keith) is a blinding fella - also owns a Ducati too. He's done ring trips many times & knows all the good roads locally too, many recco him. He also does trips into europe - and is doing a fully backed trip to WDW too, thus letting folk have their luggage carried so they can enjoy riding their bikes there in freedom.

Keith often takes people to the ring 1st thing in the morning - either for a full day - or to do a lap & then go on a rideout before heading back for a 2nd spin later in the day. He does the trips to suit you usually over 2/3/4+ days

Say CK said to contact :)