PDA

View Full Version : luggage

MrsC_772
27-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Aching shoulders from a rucksack led me to bite the bullet and try and make a tourer out of my Monster.

Thumbs up for the Kriega US-20 tailpack as practical luggage for the 696.

I was amazed how much stuff I could cram into it, and for longer trips, you can buy the smaller "US-10" packs to clip on to it to increase capacity.

Fitting wasn't very obvious (attaching a US-10 to a Monster could be a drunken game/challenge at a UKMOC meet), but once I'd worked it out, it seemed pretty secure. I put an Oxford rubber mesh non-slip blanket on top of the seat cowl and wrapped round all the plastic to protect it from where the straps were attached.

Although I was even pushed against the tank more than usual, my rucksack (now almost empty, given the purchase of the tailpack) actually sat on top of the tailpack taking any remaining strain off my shoulders.

Not tested the waterproofing yet as I was lucky with the weather today.

He11cat
27-10-2009, 08:19 PM
I have trouble with the height of things on the back when I swing my leg over...end up hopping between the stuff on the back and the tank then can't get off!... I can't bare tank bags.. and I tend to use a rucksack but I do that everyday for work now and its killing my neck and shoulders...

Trying to get off the bike with stuff on the back is nigh on impossible for me..I actually had to go back and get other bike which made me upset... but I need to carry tent and bag as well.... racks look so naff...

But will invest in a tailpack I think as long as not too high or to hard to put on being a simpleton and all that. My back is getting worse each year and I am finding carrying stuff like rucksacks on it is causing me a lot of pain.

the mesh blankets anti slip are worth their weight in gold for stuff..

kneedown
27-10-2009, 08:28 PM
whats the tatoo of

He11cat
27-10-2009, 08:33 PM
"..Bill the Butcher" gangs of New York.
It was done by the chap who did a black and grey portrait on me a few weeks ago..
I thought it was a great bit of work...

kneedown
27-10-2009, 08:52 PM
looks cool i would like another but do know what to have

chris yeatman
27-10-2009, 09:09 PM
went over to france this year with just a ducati tank bag

MrsC_772
28-10-2009, 08:43 PM
You wouldn't be able to bring back much wine in just a Ducati tank bag!

I'm congenitally incapable of travelling light - I like to be prepared (and not wear the same pair of socks for a week!)

uksurfer
28-10-2009, 08:46 PM
i think that travelling light is a 'man' thing, when me and the better half go away, she always fills the bag almost to the top and leaves a tiny space for my stuff,
socks are two day items cus there reversible!

He11cat
29-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Men can travel light .. Women .. hm I am getting better!!!... its a huge learning curve for me!
I am not turning socks and pants inside out for two days use.. yuk!!... hmm you can get throw away paper pants !! lol... nice!

My rucksac is usually full of stuff and just incase stuff...on my Yam there is nowhere to bungee a thing!
Male friend .. went to a bike rally.. I said where's your bag?? ... oh.. Ive got a pair of pants and a pair of socks in my jacket and my toothbrush and phone... ??????? err!! well I guess he doesn't need to shave much as fair.. but ohhh I was rather envious.

I wish I could do that!! id have spare jeans incase I got wet .. jumper.. thermals .. was horrified when I pulled out my Straighteners!! and was doing my hair in a field! lol
I said I was trying to not look like worzel Gummage .. hmmph!

MrsC_772
29-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Hellcat, I'm with you on being prepared for everything (change of clothes, suncream, fleecy hat, waterproofs etc, especially when camping). I've always been the same. When I have left something at home, I've generally regretted it (e.g. insect bite cream when I went on holiday in July, and every mosquito in Italy made a beeline for my shoulders).

I'm not a girly girl though, and definitely don't do hair straighteners. (In a temp job earlier this year, I was the only woman in the office without very high heels and/or long painted fingernails, preferring Doc Martens and commuting on my old Bandit). Life's too short to fight my hair's Worzel Gummidge tendencies, especially going anywhere on a bike.

He11cat
30-10-2009, 12:56 AM
I am no girly girl doc martins,,,,in various colours,,,old leather jacket purple camos,draggin jeans ,,,, 23 tattoos. I don't do cloths shopping coffee mornings or girls stuff!!!! I commute on a rat 125 and have 3 bigger bikes ,,,, none I prefer company of men,,,,, as they say what they mean mostly even if harsh,,,,, I have bad humour,,,,, but the only thing I do take care of apart from bikes is my hair,,,, its pink black and white at the mo,,,always had mad punky hair ,,,,the one thing u leave out is the thing you need