PDA

View Full Version : Fitted New Battery & It All Went Wrong

chris r
25-10-2009, 02:43 PM
The battery on my M620 went flat as it had sat idle for a while, so I bought a new one & fitted today.

Now, it's all gone a bit wrong. Once the battery was fitted the clocks lit up & the r/h side indicators started to flash........and I hadn't even turned the key to switch the ignition on. And even when I do turn the key, the bike won't kick over & start up.

Any idea what the problem could be? I've checked all the fuses I can find & they seem ok, so thats the end of my electrical knowledge.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Bigxr
25-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Hi Chris,
I think You need to reset the key code. If you havent got a manual I can email you an E-copy of the relevant pages in my S2R manual, I think the reset procedure should be the same.
PM me and I'll do the do.

Trent
25-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I think You need to reset the key code

You can only program new keys, clocks, ECU to the existing code - or you can disarm the immobiliser with the Key Card - You can't "reset the key code."

It doesn't sound like an immobiliser problem - if there's a problem with the immobiliser, everything works normally but the orange immobiliser light on the dash stays on and the bike won't start.

What process did you use to setup the new battery? - you should add the acid, then slowly charge it for 12 hours or so before fitting it.

Was the bike in a garage / in a shed / under cover while it wasn't being used? Maybe the clocks are full of water if it's been sitting outside or if you ride in the rain a lot.

It's possible you may also have a bad earth - check the earth wire is clean and tight on both the battery end and where it bolts to the engine.

Bigxr
25-10-2009, 07:40 PM
You can only program new keys, clocks, ECU to the existing code - or you can disarm the immobiliser with the Key Card - You can't "reset the key code."

Thats what I meant, :o thought maybe repeated dischargs may have screwed something up and needed reboot.

chris r
26-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Ok, I did the immobiliser thing with the flashing light/throttle combo & I swapped keys & it seems to have sorted itself out!! :) I'll go out a bit later to double check that everything is as it should be, but all good so far.

Thanks for your help.

Bigxr
26-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Glad to have helped, I work with computerised stuff, and a switch on/off is a stock fix. usually known as a "japanese reset" or POR (power off reset) ;-)