PDA

View Full Version : 14T sprocket on M1100S

Space Cadet
22-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Has anyone done the above yet, am thinking about it but would like to know if anyone else has yet and any Pros/Cons.

I fitted one to my old 620 and was really pleased with the difference.

Arbeia
22-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Do it please!!!!
Pros not as lumpy around town/cons lose a lil top end.

Albie
22-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I dont want to. I did it on s4 and hated it. I hate the revvyness on motorway when I cruise. It was ok dont get me wrong but really not keen myself.

walpole68
23-10-2009, 08:31 AM
im happy with the lower gears,but 6th is a bit tall,bit pointless below 90mph,which none of us ever ride at !so really i have a 5 speed monster.Going down 1 on the front is a cheap way of doing it but makes a lot of difference,im trying either 1 or 2 more on the rear sprocket,which will hopefully lower top gear just a bit,plus i have some other rear wheel bling waiting to be fitted at the same time.Only problem is seems like Ducati may have stopped making the rear sprockets so im looking for other makes.

Stafford
23-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Does either the Renthal or Talon quick change kit fit these models.

walpole68
23-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Does either the Renthal or Talon quick change kit fit these models.

They dont list one,so unless it is the same as another model im not sure,other problem is that i have a DP sprocket carrier to fit so a Renthal one wont work.

Stafford
23-10-2009, 08:59 AM
The Renthal and Talon quick change sprockets have different locating "lugs" for the want of a better descriptive word. Any pics of the DP carrier?

walpole68
23-10-2009, 09:02 AM
http://www.ducati.com/shop/product.jsp?_DARGS=/shop/search/droplets/ddd_boxproduct.jsp.3_A&_DAV=/shop/search/advsearch.jsp&catid=cat1040156&prodid=prod1570114&srch=true

In gold as the wheels will be changing colour.

uksurfer
23-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I dont want to. I did it on s4 and hated it. I hate the revvyness on motorway when I cruise. It was ok dont get me wrong but really not keen myself.

i agree with that, also lose top end on a private road!
I dont do any town riding really either

Thirdway
23-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I really like the high sixth gear. It is a bit of an overdrive, but makes fast motorway sections feel easy and relaxed and it still accelerates even if it's not at warp nine.

walpole68
23-10-2009, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Thirdway;326946]I really like the high sixth gear. It is a bit of an overdrive, but makes fast motorway sections feel easy and relaxed and it still accelerates even if it's not at warp nine.

I do to,its so nearly spot on,thats why not going as drastic as one off the front,im only looking to make about 500rpm difference.

Stafford
23-10-2009, 06:46 PM
In gold as the wheels will be changing colour.

Ah now that is the carrier, what I meant is the quick change sprocket mount that goes behind this. When fitted is means you change the sprocket without removing this part. I've just fitted the Talon fitted one to my S2R complete with the wrong colour gold alloy sprocket.
See here for the Renthal one.
http://www.renthal.com/File/Ducati_carrier.asp

Space Cadet
26-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I ordered one on Thursday hoping for it to have arrived and be able fit it at the weekend, but due to the postal strike it hasn’t arrived yet.

Comments above all noted, I’m sure the bike is geared to do say 150+mph, but trying to hold on at anything more than 110mph (private road of course) is near-on impossible. So reducing the top speed from 150 to 120 is not going to make any difference to me.

I sometimes wish that 2nd was a little lower as 1st is too low and 2nd is a bit too high for me to go around roundabouts smoothly.

At the end of the day it’s a relatively cheap mod and if I don’t like it I can always put the 15T back on.

Should make the acceleration even quicker too!!!

walpole68
26-10-2009, 09:50 AM
I ordered one on Thursday hoping for it to have arrived and be able fit it at the weekend, but due to the postal strike it hasn’t arrived yet.

Comments above all noted, I’m sure the bike is geared to do say 150+mph, but trying to hold on at anything more than 110mph (private road of course) is near-on impossible. So reducing the top speed from 150 to 120 is not going to make any difference to me.

I sometimes wish that 2nd was a little lower as 1st is too low and 2nd is a bit too high for me to go around roundabouts smoothly.

At the end of the day it’s a relatively cheap mod and if I don’t like it I can always put the 15T back on.

Should make the acceleration even quicker too!!!

Please give write up on overall effect once done.Thanks

Albie
26-10-2009, 09:51 AM
I agree. Small price for a reversible modification. Let us know how it feels later on.

Space Cadet
26-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Will do. As mentioned above, it was a great mod to my old 620, wasn’t night or day but just made the bike a bit smoother. So hoping for the same with the 1100S.

I wonder if the bikes are over-geared a bit so as to improve quoted fuel efficiency and emissions etc.

StuartJames
26-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I find the 696 is incredibly easy to ride around town and handles any twists in the b-roads out of town with ease, the torque just pulls you round the corners with confidence. The power is there, you just have to know where to find it.

Having said that, when you want to get away quickly from stand-still, you really have to twist it and give it some revs. Switching to the 14t will make it that little bit more effortless and losing 5mph off the top end means nothing to me as I rarely get there. With speed limits, it doesn't matter how fast you get there, as long as you don't go past them ;) So the extra zip the 14t gives will be well worth it, especially in town :)

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Space Cadet
27-10-2009, 08:57 AM
It arrived yesterday, will hopefully fit it tonight and go for a ride at the weekend. Will revert back with findings following.

Space Cadet
02-11-2009, 05:25 PM
I had the day off today and went out for a long ride having now fitted the 14T front sprocket, well it's not night or day compared to the 15T - much the same as when I did the same to my old 620.

Now the acceleration is hardly lacking on my 1100S anyway so in truth I don't think I could really feel that much of a difference!! And as I have to keep it below 6k for 600 miles as I'm running it in (only another 100 to go!!!) I can't compare what difference it will have made at higher revs.

What I can say though is just how much smoother it's made the bike - again just like it did my 620.

I can only conclude then that Ducati over-gear the Monsters, perhaps to 'help' with quoted MPG etc.

On both bikes it has just made them nicer (for better a word) to ride, if they had come with the 14T as standard I wouldn't have thought they seemed under-geared.

I did 110mph again (on a private road!!!) still in 5th and below 6k revs no problem and as its virtually impossible to hold on at that speed fitting the 14T hasn't effected 'my' top speed one bit.

I would go as far as to say that on both bikes this is the one best mod I have made to each and all for £26 and half an hour's work.

Albie
02-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Much as I had expected. All that matters is your satisfied. I may do the same next year. Glad that its smoother though.