PDA

View Full Version : petrol tank leak

Calvin Morris
21-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I had some great help with my last post (thanks again), so here is my next problem. I have a very small leak in the petrol tank, I'm pretty sure it's around where the hinge joins the tank at the bottom.

I know of various things that can be added to a clean tank to seal from the inside, but here in lies the problem. I live on the 3rd floor in a flat with no real space to work on a bike and I'm about as mechanical as a very unmechanical person!

I've phoned a few garages, but although they knew of the technique they weren't prepared to do the job for me. Does anyone out there know of a garage in London (preferably West) that would do this sealing job and of course not be too expensive? It's a tall order I know, but now that my carb freezing problem seems to be fixed (touch wood), I have great faith in the forum.

Thanks.

Kato
21-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Basically you have four options:

1: get another tank
2: use POUR15 to seal the tank from the inside, limited success with this bloody messy, some say its very good while others are not so keen
3: silver solder around the hinge plate, works very well but can be a bit tricky
4: this is the option I always use, take the tank to someone like MHP, and ask Mark to TIG weld around the hinge, this is by far the strongest and best way IMHO to sort this out

Calvin Morris
21-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the advise, I'm not sure who or what MHP are?

dunlop0_1
21-10-2009, 04:48 PM
4: this is the option I always use, take the tank to someone like MHP, and ask Mark to TIG weld around the hinge, this is by far the strongest and best way IMHO to sort this out

I agree this is the best option if the rest of the tank is in good condition.
I had it done nearly 3 years ago to Louise's M750 and never had a problem since.

CK & AK
21-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the advise, I'm not sure who or what MHP are?

MHP - here: http://200mhp.co.uk/contactus.aspx

Recommended highly by us - especially if you use him in the 'off season' when racing is quiet!

chris yeatman
21-10-2009, 07:08 PM
tank sealer called flowliner is good

www.flowliner.co.uk