PDA

View Full Version : Buell is no more!

giler
15-10-2009, 01:43 PM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2009/October/oct1509-Buell-is-no-more/

paynep
15-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Bugga, I was thinking of buying Firebolt for hooning to work and back as I can't find a cheap M1000!

jimbo696
15-10-2009, 01:48 PM
No great loss IMO...I have never seen a Buell i liked...

big pete
15-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Bit of a shame that, always had a notion for one.......Till I tried it , Jeez theyre small. Goes one of two ways now , collectable or consumable . the choice is yours.

Stafford
15-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Seems a bit harsh of HD, by all accounts a great bike to ride.
I suppose they want all the market and not have it diluted by a similar (engine not looks) product. Which makes me wonder if that was true would they have issues with an HD dealer selling Ducati's? Just a thought and probably not.

Paivi
15-10-2009, 01:52 PM
They're also getting rid of MV Agusta.

keef
15-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Oh Bugger, Just had a buyer for mine but not had any money yet, maybe he will drift off now. :banghead:

big pete
15-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Which makes me wonder if that was true would they have issues with an HD dealer selling Ducati's? Just a thought and probably not.

Orange county choppers!!!:rolleyes:

Paivi
15-10-2009, 02:39 PM
Oh Bugger, Just had a buyer for mine but not had any money yet, maybe he will drift off now. :banghead:
If he has any sense, he will, as the dealers are dropping thousands off the list prices.

Scott1
15-10-2009, 02:41 PM
A real shame, they offered individuality and were the only thing I'd real want if I wasn't a Monster man. One goes past my flat most mornings and it looks and sounds fantastic. Maybe somebody could buy the production line?

blueguzzi
15-10-2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2009/October/oct1509-Buell-is-no-more/

Possibly a reason is that HD are losing money , so radical rethink of company strategy ?:(

Harley Davidson’s earnings just came in and third-quarter net income dropped 84%.

The company plans to discontinue its Buell product line and sell its MV Agusta unit, essentially exiting the sport bike market.

“The fact is we must focus both our effort and our investment on the Harley-Davidson brand, as we believe this provides an optimal path to sustained, meaningful long-term growth,” CEO Keith Wandell said in the release.

Buell motorcycles will be discontinued, resulting in the loss of 180 jobs over time and MV Agusta will be sold. The troubles are substantial and the work necessary to rebuild is enormous.

Sad days indeed:thumbsdown:

Gilps
15-10-2009, 02:55 PM
That's a real shame. I'm not surprised as they must sell so few. If you ever get a chance to ride one then give it a go. They have to be the bike that most brings out the hooligan in you. The handling and braking is something else. It's the gearbox that I had the trouble getting used to.
Wonder what Benson thinks.

Nonnie
15-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Wonder what Benson thinks.

I'll bet she's thinking "How can I buy the company" because that would be fun.

Sell those pointless houses Rachel and buy Buell! Go on, you know it makes sense.

paynep
15-10-2009, 03:23 PM

Which one were you selling? I hear they're going cheap now :devil:

keef
15-10-2009, 03:24 PM
RIP
:hissy:

Diego
15-10-2009, 03:28 PM
shame!!! tried a XB12Ss the other day and it was a hoot. so light! excellent for commuting.

Paranoid Dave
15-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Nooooo, that really is sad. Both for Buell and MV, wonder who'll take MV?

slob
15-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Someone will pick them both up eventually I imagine.

jerry
15-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Its HD that are on the way out .. demographics will do them in as the age profile of average HD rider is 55+ they need an entry level affordable bike and better quality .

I saw a guy on a Ducati 998 with his mate on a MV 750 F4 at Newlands corner today both blokes were 77 years old ...he he !!

littlejimmy12
15-10-2009, 05:52 PM
jeez thats a shock, my first 'real' bike was a Buell XB9 city cross, it was nuts to ride, the front would lift when I took off and I'd do an endo every time I stopped at lights.....Shame I like the Buells individuality but I think they sould have stopped and focussed on the lightning and he firebolt, the Ulysis is plain ugly and the attempt at sportsbike was a big mistake as its just not there market.

benson
15-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Noooooo! Benson is mucho saddo - and there i was after the 1125 CR!!! That could of course mean a bargain! What a damn shame - I do so hope someone buys the production line - if only.....

I will always really love my little city x - I was hankering after a newer one or maybe the CR (I know - I need an eye test obviously but it's quirky - which is why I love them full stop) and the ride like well - they are supreme machines on the road...

Can we have a whip round???

Nickj
15-10-2009, 09:29 PM
“The fact is we must focus both our effort and our investment on the Harley-Davidson brand, as we believe this provides an optimal path to sustained, meaningful long-term growth,” CEO Keith Wandell said in the release.

The growth will be making bigger and lardier monstrosities I take it

A shame but possibly the writing was appearing on the wall with the rotax motors

gary tompkins
15-10-2009, 09:40 PM
That's very sad news & possibly another victim of the gobal recession

Erik Buell looked close to tears in that video

:(

animaluk
15-10-2009, 10:20 PM
sad days Well done erik for really having a go at making somthing diffrent hope someone picks up buell they are a hoot to ride

and i too thought he looked sad in the video

gremlin
15-10-2009, 10:44 PM
yes, very sad.
not only for the employees and the name, but also for all of the companies worldwide that do their bit.
we got aproached by rotax earlier in the year to develop and manufacture a race generator for the xb12 as they were setting up a race series. we made & sold them 1, they were so impressed, they ordered another 10 and the chief at rotax asked if it was ok to give our number to Erik who wants to sell them as part of his factory race kit. Erik who ? was my reply (as we had no idea this chap was head of r&d at rotax ) why Erik Buell was his responce.
yeh yeh what ever..........

2 hours later Eriks 2nd in command phoned and placed an order for 100 units.

what is suprising, is that we are just a 2 man band making bikes go faster in a small village outside norwich. one of which, takes bits home that he has produced on the cnc, and anodises them on his dining room table :chuckle: and Mr Buell wants to sell them as race kit... so if i am doing this bit, just imagine how many other people around the world that are going to loose out on their little bit of income:rolleyes:
its just as well we've been draggin my heels and not started on his order.

Mr G

He11cat
16-10-2009, 02:07 PM
I actually don't mind look of the Buell
Lightening a nice looking bike... and the polished Buell seat units make nice backends for streetfighters!

I think someone may step in on the Buells... or in time they will be back much like a lot of the other bike brands that have made a comeback...

Its sad when things like this happen... as for MV ...ohhhhh ...:( :( :(

Close call Mr G!!!

keef
21-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Well my buyer still wants my Buell :thumbsup: so it's off to it's new home on Saturday and I am picking up an S4R on the same day :banana: just have to hope the weekends weather is kind to me :)

Duke Konan
21-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I test rode a Buell a couple of months ago and I have to admit I had the time of my life! After the first few minutes of getting used to the bike I was chucking it in and out of London traffic and would seriously rate it at par or even over the monnie as a commuter bike (blasphemy I know!!). Short wheel base makes for killer handling in traffic and I’ve heard it has lower servicing costs than the monster (which is something I think about at least once a week while riding to or from work).

I’m hope someone else picks up the production line. While I wouldn’t swap my monster for it I would definitely consider it as a replacement commuter bike and keep the monnie for weekends. Or I could get an 848 for weekends and use the monnie as my commuter…hmmm…decisions decisions.

stevie babe
24-10-2009, 07:12 PM
That is a great shame owned a buell xb9sx great bike. Sad day