PDA

View Full Version : I'm doing the Essex Bikesafe on Sunday

J.P
15-10-2009, 08:43 AM
After being pulled over by the police and given a cup of tea and a bacon roll a couple of months back, I booked up an Essex Bikesafe day, which is coming round this Sunday 18th October.

Kicking off from just outside of Chelmsford after a bit of classroom work in the morning it's gonna be nearly the whole day finishing at 4.30 pm.
Long sessions on the road with lots of stops, ala the IAM and other expert tuition I've had before, but without the fear of getting pulled by the police.

Should be good fun and a nice way to top up my skills knowledge to keep me sharp...:biggrin:

jimbo696
15-10-2009, 08:46 AM
I'll be interested to hear what you think. I have been planning to do one in Kent...

LouSCannon
15-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I really enjoyed the Essex Bike safe, good group, normally one instructor with two attendees.

Spent most of the day on the road. If they throw in lunch down in Burnham don't have the pie. It's great pie, but a big heavy meal!

I'm on the waiting list for the Bike Safe in Cheshire, think I've missed the last one this year though :(

J.P
15-10-2009, 08:56 AM
All very good from what I've heard. £50 well spent when you get a lunch thrown in too.

I'll be taking the Triumph Sprint though because a full day on the Duke will be a bit tyring, especially as it's an hour each way for me to/from the starting point.

Stafford
15-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Just go with an open mind and think if you pick up one golden nugget of information that saves your life it's worth it. They're free in Wiltshire.

J.P
15-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Oh, it'll be a breeze for me Staff. Done enough after test training to sink a ship.

Stafford
15-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Pride comes before a fall :look:

PDL
15-10-2009, 10:39 AM
Just done the Cheshire Bikesafe course and it was very good. Firstly it helps as a check and balance that I am doing some things right, I also picked up some good tips especially around group riding.

alan c
15-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I did a Kent Bikesafe, enjoyed the day and picked up some good tips even after years of riding. i was one on one with very experianced copper, found it a bit strange every time i looked in mirror having a police bike behind.
we went in the outside lane of the M20 and i was following him, a BMW raced up behind me a flashed his lights, i pulled into middle lane and gave the bm a shock when he went to do the same to the police bike in front, made me chuckle.

Have a good Day jp.

J.P
15-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Will do thanks

bex
15-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I did it with the North London cops about a month ago and really enjoyed it. Urban and country observed ride outs and some great feedback, and a great lunch at the Ace Cafe, £30 all in. Have fun.

It had to be done........!!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/rjbecs/bexbikesafecopy.jpg

Black Bob
15-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I did South London / Kent last month... 30 quid including lunch at Frankie & Benny's... was a good day once you get used to the stress of having a jam sandwich bike on your chuff.

The nice policeman said I was brilliant, obviously. :D

Now I have trouble getting my helmet on......

J.P
19-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Well, completed the Essex Bikesafe course yesterday to freshen up my skills.
Its been over a year since passing my I.A.M so well worth the £50 for the day. It was 1 degree when we arrived in Boreham, just north of Chelmsford. Bloody freezing.

If you don't know already the day starts out with about 1- 1 1/2 hours in the classroom to cover the basics and then you are allocated an observer for the day who critique's your rides. One observer to two students. There were about 20 students on the day.

My friend and I lucked out with our instructor being a police instructor, a private trainer and a RoSPA examiner. He's a civillian now after 35 years in the force. His instruction and commentary was top notch.
Morning ride was to remind me what I'd forgotten and to smooth out any wrinkles. I'm pretty good anyway having covered a lot of the stuff before, but being reminded is always worth it.

Lunch was taken in Burnham-on-Crouch, fantastic lunch in fact, and the sun was shining. Off for a good number of miles for the afternoon putting into action all the comments and really nailing it by the afteroon. Keeping your head up, looking for dangers, keeping it smooth. Covered about 80 miles on the day.

Best comment I got by the end of the day was that I'm at a RoSPA, high-Silver standard, with Gold (faultless), being just a couple of lession's away. Sticking to the speed limits was rubbish though.
My friend got the award for being the most improved rider in one day our instructor had come across in 5 years of Bikesafe courses. He was grinning from ear to ear.

So a great day all in all, though very cold for most of it. well worth the money and I think I'll keep an eye out for more next year in Essex, or Kent which is nearer to me.
Who's with me !! ? ??

steeevvvooo
19-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Glad you enjoyed it! I’m keen to do one. Might try to sneak one in this year, but could be keen for one next year as well!

He11cat
19-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I may do Suffolk one if I ever pass my IAM .. lol..
Good to hear its worth it..

jimbo696
19-10-2009, 04:12 PM
JP,
Defo want to do one in Kent hopefully..