PDA

View Full Version : Oil Window.

mikeeb
15-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Hi just wanting a bit of advice. I know this might sound like a stupid question but can someone tell me about the second oil window on the left side of the engine on my S4.
In the past one the bike had been turned over a while the window would fill and stay filled for a period after the bike had been turned off. Recently however it has only partially filled.
My oil level on the actual window Right hand side is fine.
Sorry if this is a silly question but i am just starting to ride my bike more regularly and learn about maintenence and engines.

Trent
15-10-2009, 06:34 AM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=34336

Nickj
15-10-2009, 04:53 PM
It's partly functional, partly aesthetics.
Design wise you need the two to see the oil and the timing marks.
Funtionality wise having one each side balances the motor physically
Aesthetically just having on on one side would just be wrong!

jerry
15-10-2009, 06:28 PM
left hand side is timing marks ....oil splashes up sometimes but dont worry about it.

LVC
15-10-2009, 06:44 PM
In the past one the bike had been turned over a while the window would fill and stay filled for a period after the bike had been turned off. Recently however it has only partially filled.

"Fill and stay filled" - I hope not :on: if so that's a helluva lot of oil in your engine as this window (as the chaps say) is for the timing marks not oil level - also if it was oil level how come the other window on the RHS only gets half full despite being about 10cm lower down the engine :confused: :spin:

Although if you're getting your left knee down and the bike cranked right over then I guess you could fill the window with oil...now that's impressive checking your oil level whilst knee down on a corner - class :yoparty:

mikeeb
15-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks guys great help as always. As i happened i was knee down while checking that timing window.
I will check again regarding the staying filled bit i am probably wrong.
Thanks anyways.

Nickj
15-10-2009, 10:09 PM
As i happened i was knee down while checking that timing window.

If you blink really fast you could check the timing.. That would be deeply impressive