PDA

View Full Version : Problems Problems Problems

pegboy
14-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Why is it that you can go for a year with no problems and look after your bike service it early full service every time and then wam bam you get snacked with all the problems at once. After the track day back in September the rear brakes were spongy, and the pads were low, changed the pads cannot bleed up since so no rear brake for 5 weeks, then the last few weeks it had been playing up, starting wise, the battery would die very quickly if it did not start straight away. Once started the charge was good, so came to the conclusion that the battery was faulty, changed that problem solved, then it starts to run really poor, when riding at low speed say 30mph it would cough and splutter, 60/70mph no problems just low speeds and would not idle always stalling, pull out the plugs, which I changed three days prior and they were black, I thought that’s strange the old ones were normal greyish colour. Started the think tank, running rich, after looking around a bit the choke was stuck on, very stiff to operate and sticking, (still to do). So I thought I would be ok from now on all things happens in threes no not me, a fourth came along, running on one cylinder, after about an hour checking everything from HT leads to plug end, swapping igniters and coils finally found a faulty coil. That is now replaced and out for a blast tonight and it felt great once again, although the back brake is still not great and need to look at the choke. Away on a boys weekend so that will not be done this week.

big pete
15-10-2009, 06:48 AM
PB , when you bleed your back brake make sure the rear caliper pistons are fully home before you start. Lever them right home with a piece of wood or summit soft! Its a good starting point as way less air to displace. Work your way along the line , pumping up pressure at the pedal and while keeping pressure on the pedal slacken your joints working towards the rear till you finish at the caliper bleed nipple. If this fails, back feed using a syringe from the caliper bleed nipple , dont be to greedy when applying pressure ,it has to find its way through some very small ports. If all this fails you may be in line for a seal kit or at worst a new rear master cylinder, also check the piston is definately moving in the rear master cylinder they can and do stick up at the highest point especially if you have adjusted your pedal push rod. Sorry if any off this is a bit like teaching yer granny to suck eggs. good luck mate, Peter

pike
15-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Had similar problems on a couple of occasions bleeding my rear brake.

if your rear brake is underslung then you need to temporarily mount it in an upright position. I don't know why, guessing it's something to do with gravity?

I put a thin screwdiver through the caliper and one of the holes in the disc and find that will hold it whilst you bleed. Just be gentle with the hose and dont strain it.

My master cylinder did fail a couple of years ago and i couldn't get any pressure and it just wouldn't bleed. it was seeping very, very slightly from the plunger. Hard to see until removed from bike! A new master cylinder was only about £35 and you have to buy complete as the internal guts cant be bought separately.
Good luck