PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

NJslederon
14-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey all,

I'm new to the site, just wanted to pop in and say hello. I'm an American working on the continent, and I'm looking to buy my first Ducati. The 620 is in my sights, but I'm holding out for the right price/right bike combo. Know anybody? :mand:

Evan

P.S. - How hard/involved is it to swap the headlight to continental spec?

J.P
14-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the club.
Is there a Swiss Monster Owners Club ?
at least you're not far from some fantastic routes from there.

NJslederon
14-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the club.
Is there a Swiss Monster Owners Club ?
at least you're not far from some fantastic routes from there.

Thanks for the warm welcome, J.P. It's great to be here.
There's a Swiss Ducati club, but frankly I don't speak German and apparently the Geneva chapter is just getting on its feet. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute - they are everywhere here!
There are some great routes, but there are also some great radar traps that make for great surprises when great fines come in the mail the next week.

Stafford
14-10-2009, 03:16 PM
There's a chap on Ducatisti who imported an ST4S Northworthy, it is quite an involved procedure and he would probably recommend getting a Swiss bike. That aside some modern bikes now have what seems to be a dual use headlight and can be used here or on the continent. Apart from that welcome to the forum but stay away from the Monster thread it's all bollocks.

kneedown
14-10-2009, 03:47 PM
:mand::mand::mand::mand:well a lot off people have written on there so perhaps others can make there mind up

granite785
14-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the club, this place is a fountain of knowledge. Everyone is so welcoming too.

Snips
14-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Welcome.

I looked at bringing my 620 from California, back to the UK.

It all seemed too expensive and complicated, so you're probably better off getting one locally.

View European countries like US states, broadly similar, but have their own pecularities with regards to vehicle rules and regulations.

yellowfever
14-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Hi. Headlight swap is very easy. I have UK bike but work during week in Belgium so had my bike on continent at various times during summer. with a bit of patience i managed to pick up a continental spec monster headlight on german ebay for about £60 and swap it for the UK one whenever I take my bike abroad. simply undo two allen bolts either side (whilst holding onto headlight!) and unclip the power lead from the weatherproof plug, plug in continental headlight lead and bolt light in place. getting headlight dip angle right means a tape measure, suitable wall and bit of chalk plus someone to hold bike upright and level. Or you can do what I do and guess which is maybe a bit anti-social if you end up overdoing it and blinding car drivers you follow, but at least they see you and are keen to let you overtake.... swapping just then lens is I think a bit of a pain as fixed to chrome surround with complicated looking sprung metal bits all round.... For the price difference buying a second hand headlight is probably the best option if you have patience to wait to pick one up cheap (think they are around £150 new...).

Pomp1
14-10-2009, 10:06 PM
hi and welcome! I think you'll be better off looking to get a euro specs bike in France or Germany to be honest, and both they're just over the border from you! Got some fond memories of the Lac Leman from when I worked there!

JMo
14-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Following on from what Yellowfever suggested, you can buy a replacement lens for the Monster that is the same as a BMW (R80 I believe) much cheaper than from Ducati... I imagine it's not going to be difficult to get a Euro beam-pattern one of those!

Oh, and welcome, of course!

J x

NJslederon
15-10-2009, 07:50 AM
There's a chap on Ducatisti who imported an ST4S Northworthy, it is quite an involved procedure and he would probably recommend getting a Swiss bike. That aside some modern bikes now have what seems to be a dual use headlight and can be used here or on the continent. Apart from that welcome to the forum but stay away from the Monster thread it's all bollocks.

Haha thanks for the heads-up. I know all about the procedure, and yes, it's involved but for me it's worth it!

Yellowfever - Many thanks for the headlight swap info, that's everything I needed to know.

Snips - I imagine it'd be much more difficult to import a bike from the states than from the UK to the EU... you're a brave guy for that.

And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome... I'm glad to be part of the team.

StuartJames
15-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Welcome to the club!
Was down your way a couple of months ago, you're going to have fun on your bike in the Spring!

NJslederon
15-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the club!
Was down your way a couple of months ago, you're going to have fun on your bike in the Spring!

Haha thanks, I'll have to buy one first!