PDA

View Full Version : Sex Pistols!!!!

big pete
13-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Got bored with the usual programmes and have just found the Pistols live at Brixton Academy in 2007 on Anytime TV, fookin brilliant!!!! takes me back and he can still bang outta tune.
"God save the Queen"":fou:

snakey
13-10-2009, 08:59 PM
would take me back too - I managed to get thrown out of a pistols gig (5 times in one night - my mates thought it hilarious to keep letting me back in the fire escape:chuckle:) in Plymouth right at the begining of it all (bikers & punks did not get on at all in Plymouth) though now when i hear a pistols tune I admit to singing along.

Pete.

gremlin
13-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Pistols were pretty much the only band I didn't see they were the ultimate. We used to have a venue called West Runton pavillion which hosted nearly every band, I think the Pistols played there, UEA barn was the other main venue and now it's UEA students bar. Went everywhere to gigs, Cambridge Corn Exchange, Marquee, Brixton Academy, those were the days, bin liners, safety pins, ripped fishnets and army boots. Punks look quite tame these days!

big pete
14-10-2009, 06:33 AM
bin liners, safety pins, ripped fishnets and army boots. Punks look quite tame these days!

And that was just the boys!!!! , AAAAAH happy days.:eek:

Dave G
14-10-2009, 07:40 AM
Saw them in 1976 when it was still dangerous to go....not from anything that was going on inside the venue either, but from the fred perry wearing casuals who used to congregate outside looking for trouble.

gremlin
14-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Yup, got into a scrap at Cambridge station after The Jams gig, sitting there minding our own business and got grief. The guys I was with formed a guard to protect me which was sweet but a couple got into fisticuffs. Its wierd but in Norwich now we don't seem to get it so much, you see punks with skaters and bikers and EMOs and goths all getting on the only ones who stick their oars in occasionally are the chavs but even some of them hang out with one or other group. It used to be war every time each group met up.

big pete
14-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Happy days indded!Remember a mate going to take up the challenge of a nutcase brandishing a sword at a Tools concert in the Caley hotel in Inverness. Funny enuff his nickname was Echo , as you had to say everything twice after he got hit on the lug in another scrap not of his doing.

jerry
14-10-2009, 05:58 PM
I roadied for them in 1976 it was manic and often dangerous ,soaked in spit and had to hit everyone with a mic stand to keep them off the stage.But I was so high i never came down ..oh and i wasnt a Punk i was a biker.

Grumpy
14-10-2009, 06:35 PM
I was a regular at the Cambridge Corn Exchange in the late 70's/ early 80's!
My mates and I saw so many 'big names', of punk/new wave.....Stranglers, Penatration, 999, The Skids etc. Great times!!
It's probably why my hearing is crap, sticking my head in the bass bins to often! lol.
As for the scraps we got in.........to many to list!!

big pete
14-10-2009, 09:35 PM
I was a regular at the Cambridge Corn Exchange in the late 70's/ early 80's!
My mates and I saw so many 'big names', of punk/new wave.....Stranglers, Penatration, 999, The Skids etc. Great times!!
It's probably why my hearing is crap, sticking my head in the bass bins to often! lol.
As for the scraps we got in.........to many to list!!

Im gettin quite emulsional now!!:hail:

alan c
15-10-2009, 06:09 PM
i watched that and thought it was great, i do regret not seeing the pistols, went to loads of other gigs, was a big fan of the clash and iggy pop, great times :yoparty: went to 100 club, roundhouse, the rainbow etc :woot:

big pete
15-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Clash version of "I fought the law", now theres a classic with "London calling". Was at santa pod many moons ago when IFTL came on in a big marquee 15 mins later it was on the deck.
Do you know what too , Im 48 and still!!! at dances and weddings if any of my time music comes on, Im the first idiot up pogoing around kidding on Im slam dancing , makes me really popular with the wife.
(usually sponsored by Magners)

Grumpy
15-10-2009, 07:57 PM
There's nothing like a magners to loosen the inabishions!!
So the question is ....are we stuck in a time warp, musically speaking, or have followed the way music moves on !!!:dizzy:

big pete
15-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Green day , Monday night SECC Glasgow , I cannot wait. Apart from that AC/DC and Mettallica , Gods of rock!

Liz
15-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Green day , Monday night SECC Glasgow , I cannot wait. Apart from that AC/DC and Mettallica , Gods of rock!

Am liking Green Day (even though introduced through 18-year old son!). AC/DC, would love to see. Also, Saxon, Bon Jovi, Tygers of Pan Tang etc, etc! Bloody hell I'm getting old!! ;) Did see Ozzy in concert and have Bob Geldof's signature!

He11cat
16-10-2009, 10:48 PM
well I love The Damned , Motorhead Sisters of Mercy , but then I like Finnish bands like The 69 eyes who are worth a look.

another very obscure band I like if you like different are Apocalyptica they again are Finns but 4 cello's and a drummer ... headbanging with cellos has to be seen!!

they have worked with Cory from Slipknot , and many other bands.. very famed for their covers of Metallica .. if you like them , listen to Apocalyptica they have such a mixed bag of stuff..

Youtube them... one of their best performances is Griegs "In the Hall of the mountain King".which shows them playing and is wow... I love seeing them live as it just pounds straight through your chest ... amazing sound..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znhSLyuQt6w is prob my fav mainstream song .. but I love their straight cello work.... they are really nice chaps as well so humble..
but check them out on Youtube.... varied stuff but talented guys..

He11cat
16-10-2009, 11:13 PM
The 69 eyes I spose rock/ goth ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5rh969E9oA

Jyrki69 is prob one of the most stunning men I have ever seen... and a scientist in his own right..super clever man... again very humble..

All the old punk stuff I like.. and metal, goth and the other day I had a bit of Roxy Music on..lol well The stranglers , Blondie and Roxy Music was what I grew up on ..
ACDC is my staple diet!!... fav has to be Thunderstruck!! followed by Back in Black.

BluprintZ
16-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Oh dear, i may be the odd one out here...and i do mean odd!!
My early years were spent listening to stuff by the Chambers Brothers, White Noise and Roxy Music.
I did eventually get into the usual biker bands like Sabbath, Purple and Zep, although in the meantime i was secretly buying every Genesis album i could.
For some reason, i by-passed punk, didn't really get it...must have been the copious amounts of mucus about at that time!
Didn't really get much out of the "Poodle Rock" years either, although Joe Satriani was exceptionally good.
For me, the big one came in the mid`90's with music by Faithless, Orbital and Underworld, eventually finding a strong leaning towards ambient Drum`n Bass, Bukem, Big Bud, etc.
And that is pretty much the music i still get off on.

G ; ) :biggrin:

www.myspace.com/bluprintzaudio

big pete
17-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Nowt wrong with a bit of Roxy music mate, ferry is a very talented man with a brill voice just atad glitzy in the early 70's for me . Cant say there wasnt a lot of mainstream punk (contrdaction there!) i didnt like , just seemed really new and exciting compared to disco to a 16/17 year old nut case who was away from home at tech college for a year. Led on to more discerning tastes in music and now I find I can listen to most tyes with the exception of house ,garage etc. I leave that to my young fella and his giant speakers. Finn rock is the buisness and always put on a good show , music of the moment is Rammstein watched them on MTV same night as the pistols. Lets not forget rockers favourites Dr feelgood as well, fantastic.

Grumpy
18-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Lately i've been listening to Black Stone Cherry.
I lean to wards Rage, Queen of the Stone Age, Metallica, just picked up Kings of Leons last disc.....love big bass and heavy guitar rhythm!