PDA

View Full Version : leaking fuel tank

aceg3905
12-10-2009, 07:57 AM
so ive got a leak in my tank pin size just above the hinge weld.....

im not confident repairing it myself, anyone got any contacts in the north west / manchester area who could fix it?

im waiting for duc manchester to open at 10:00 but I dont hold up much hope of thouse guys being able to repair it.

Half Pint
12-10-2009, 08:07 AM
it can be braised or tig welded....

i've had mine done (braised) twice now and fingers crossed that this time it will work. its been fine for the past 3 months

aceg3905
12-10-2009, 08:14 AM
where do i get it braised or tig welded?

thats my problem no idea what to search for online?, when its braised / welded does it effect the paint finish?

to be honest im coming to the end of my love affair with duc's now and want to get it patched so i can sell on.....

Stafford
12-10-2009, 08:17 AM
There is some tank liner stuff you can use. Basically remove tank and fittings, plug fitting holes, clean, swish around and leave to dry.
An offering here A tanks tale (http://www.bikersguidesw.co.uk/petrol_tank_sealing.htm)

Half Pint
12-10-2009, 08:31 AM
i looked into the por 15 treatment and decided that it had very mixed opinions on success although i know a few on the forum have been extremely successful.

mine was done through Pro V Twins who also checked the tank when it was returned to make sure it sealed before giving it back.

the only reason i think mine went again was due to needing to lift with a full tank of fuel to jump start when i was touring.

big pete
12-10-2009, 10:10 AM
You can always buy my old tank off me LOL.lt should be offf some time this week as Im getting a replacement , why?, its got a shallow dent above the ducati lettering on the r/h side(switch gear) ,its red. No leaks. Shout me if your interested.

SCrap that idea , just noticed your bikes black and a 1000, Doh , sorry.

Capo
12-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Warning Ensure that the tank is gas free before applying the welding torch.
Lest you be in for a big surprise.

Stafford
12-10-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd give the tank sealer a go first, better to try and not have to repaint the tank if possible.
Good point made earlier about not lifting the tank if full of fuel as the hinge is known to a bit of a weak point.

chris yeatman
12-10-2009, 06:52 PM
There is some tank liner stuff you can use. Basically remove tank and fittings, plug fitting holes, clean, swish around and leave to dry.
An offering here A tanks tale (http://www.bikersguidesw.co.uk/petrol_tank_sealing.htm)

just gunna say that, i think its called flow line. :scratch:
gunna be using some on my tank cos its leaking on the bottom right of the tank

www.flowliner.co.uk

aceg3905
12-10-2009, 06:55 PM
well found a local radiator repair company that also does tanks, will repair it for me and rinse / empty for £30 not a bad deal IMHO and its going to be ready for collection tomorrow

i mean it though im all outa love for my bike at the moment

Nickj
12-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Best plan Ace, if it's fixed it's fixed