PDA

View Full Version : Electrics faulty

tomscotland
11-10-2009, 06:28 PM
My bike won't start and I know it's to do with my electrics. I had it out for a run today and it started to lose power. I turned off the headlights and it picked up and ran smoothly again. The after another few minutes I'd to switch off the sidelights as well and come home with no lights at all, even using the indicators looked as if it would stall the bike. I got home OK but after switching it off I tried to start it again and nothing ! Not a sound. The dash lights come on but nothing from the starter. Is it the CDI unit whatever that is ? Any ideas ? If it is the CDI unit how much is it, can I get one anywhere other than Ducati and is it easy to fit ?
( Getting kinda pissed with it just now really )
Any ideas on this anybody ??

Stafford
11-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Check the battery and the charging circuit I'd guess for starters, or not in your case.

Nickj
11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
With it fading away like that the symptom is the battery going flat.
The CDI will be fine it sounds like the regulators gone.
Before anything else track the wiring up from the motor that goes to the regulator, make sure the connectors are all clean and shiney.
If you've got a volt meter, one of the cheapie £6 cheap LCD displays ones are great for general testing, setting TPS and genaral fault finding.
Check the battery and it wil probably come up with 12 and teeny bit of volts. Give it a good charge and it will be about 12.8ish.
If you start the motor now and then watch the volts as you turn the lights on the volts will drop and won't change as you rev the motor.
Get a new regulator.

If you don't have voltmeter then charge the battery for a few hours. Now the motor starts, shut down switch off and come back in about three hours. If the motor starts up then the battery is most likely OK. Now turn on the lights and if they start bright then start getting dim after a few minutes then the battery is discharging, no charging means regulator is probably dead.
Worst case would be the alternator is sick but thats really unlikely.

tomscotland
11-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Cheers guys. Any idea on price for a regulator then Nick ?That's some cool pic on your display by the way Stafford ( I'm not feeling just as pissed anymore ? or am I lol )

Nickj
11-10-2009, 08:13 PM
These guys ( electrexworld (http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/rr51-regulator-rectifier-regulator-rectifier-ducati-cagiva-laverda-350ss-400ss-600ss-750ss-900ss-500-pantah-600-750-900-monster-748-750f1-737-0.html) ) have been recommended before here.

WEMOTO (http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Ducati/M600_Monster/97/picture/Regulator_Rectifier/) do the same kind of thing same price, I think they're the same units and the same spec.

All the same check with Ducati for a price as you can never tell, some stuff is extortinate others are no brainer steals.

Nickj
11-10-2009, 08:19 PM
That's some cool pic on your display by the way Stafford

I think it's heavily photoshopped Tom, Stafford didn't look like that last time I saw him LOL

tomscotland
12-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks Nick. I charged the battery late last night. It started first kick this morning and I'll try it again tonight with the lights as you suggest. It does look like a charging problem and hopefully it's just a wire rather than a new regulator unit. Cheers again !

Nickj
12-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Best check the wiring from the alternator up. The connectors handle a fair bit of power and if the connectors are dodgy they can get very hot. After that there's an eath from the regulator, make sure it's good.

tomscotland
29-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Well I had a broken wire on one of the spades in a junction box leading to the Regulator and that's sorted now and shows charging on my voltmeter that I bought for £6. Thanks for your suggestions guys.