PDA

View Full Version : Ducati S4R tank filler cap

redrobbo
29-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I have a corroded and manky silver ring round the outside of my filler cap which spoils the look of the tank.
Is it just a question of undoing the circle of allan screws and removing or is there more to it than that, I want to remove it to respray it and refit?
I'm sure somebody's had one apart?
Any help please?

Albie
29-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Yes you can remove. Mine was scabby . Remove the cap with bolts. Inside their are I think 6 or 8 very tiny grubscrew around the inside edge. They are I think m3 grubscrews and they may be tight. Do make sure you bung the filler opening to stop things falling in and crap. Mask it off preferred. The grubscrews are an allen key fit of either 1.5mm or 1.0mm. Make sure its a good fit or they will round of as they are made of cheese at the head end. When you get all out it will pull up and a rubber seal will come too. Disconnect hoses and label where they go. Then clean or polish or paint. or even anodise

Capo
30-09-2009, 07:08 PM
It wont anodise, its a casting and will turn a awful shade of gray, don't ask me how I know. It is painted with epoxy, use a stripper to remove it.

I painted it gold.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm143/Tarugo996/Bikes/P1000821.jpg

redrobbo
01-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for your advice,I'll give it a spin at the weekend.

redrobbo
01-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I like the gold paint it looks great, food for thought?.....
Do you need a special etch primer undercoat to make the paint stick?