PDA

View Full Version : New boy!

Killy
28-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Hi All,

I've recently purchased a 1994 M600, 15 years after hanging up the boots & helmet.
The bike was advertised on biketrader phone the guy up - agreed the price, waited for the the misses to go out with the kids (who knew nothing about me buying a bike!) and off I set to sunny Gloucs from Maidstone by train. What a great feeling it is to be back on the open road with a wonderful bike!

Anyway, i'm thinking of doing a restoration job on this old girl over the winter - full strip down - powder coating everywhere, etc, etc. Any tips and advice would be welcome.

P.S. trip to Belgium looks great - I'll have to book a place for next year - you did say the was beer there didnt you?

Cheers Paul
:chuckle:

Yorkie
28-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Well done! How did the wife take it???

Yorkie.

Killy
28-09-2009, 07:42 PM
OK - she phoned me whilst i was on the train - she thought i was joking, then the penny dropped and i could hear the tone of her voice change!

Anyway at least i'm not buying a newer car now - so i've saved us some money.

Albie
28-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi and welcome Paul. Fairly local to you and another monster is in maidstone. You must come up to our monthly meet second sunday of month and meet the rest of kent section.

Hope you enjoy your your bike:biggrin:

Killy
28-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Cheers Albie - will do

BluprintZ
28-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Hello Paul, welcome to da club.

G : )

LouSCannon
28-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Hahah you still hidden it from the missus?!

Welcome!

steeevvvooo
28-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Welcome mate! I was in Maidstone yesterday, at the Hein Gericke. Very helpful bunch in there by the way!

Enjoy the bike!:thumbsup:

Killy
28-09-2009, 08:55 PM
we've made up and shes accepted the monster as part of the family along with the Guinea Pig!

Killy
28-09-2009, 08:57 PM
I agreee - i was in there last week to buy a pair of gloves - very helpful guy - seemed to know what he was talking about.

He11cat
28-09-2009, 09:09 PM
best of luck!!... most of us females are fairly forgiving....well .. lol...

the only time id go ape at a man about a bike is if he came home on a. a Hardley davidson or B. a Goldwing .... I would not be happy... or forgiving... and pot noodle for tea for at least 5 years.

good choice !! enjoy!

kneedown
28-09-2009, 09:09 PM
hi and welcome 'not to far from you

tomscotland
28-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Brilliant story - well done ! Hope you have a great time with it ! Keep us up to date with everything you do to it.

Shandy
28-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the club.........:cool:

Anyway, i'm thinking of doing a restoration job on this old girl over the winter - full strip down - powder coating everywhere, etc, etc. Any tips and advice would be welcome.

Just a small summary of the things i discovered when doing mine a couple of years back,

1. Take more than three photo's of important stuff when taking it to bits.
2. Parts with oil on can stain the living room carpet.
3. The bath is a great place for washing large parts and also for finding punctures as i recently discovered, just make sure its before the missus has a bath as that will clean the scum out you leave behind
4. Blag discount from a dealer for parts by mentioning the club, motorapido have been good with this for me
5. Petrol really can be flamable in the hands of an idiot
6. If you live on the first floor its probably not the best place to pre-assemble big things as stairs are awkward
7. Its cold in the garage over winter
8. Money spent on the heads, lapped valves, re-shimed etc is the best moeny you could spend (got a grown up mechanic to do mine)
9. Allways have plenty of beer to calm down when things don't go well (refer to point 1.)
10. If you cover the carpet in the lounge with stuff it saves hoovering for months!

Good luck and have fun with it...............

Shandy

chris yeatman
28-09-2009, 09:43 PM
hello mate and welcome.

He11cat
28-09-2009, 09:51 PM
@ Shandy lol... hmm... been round here have you??

@Killy be really nice to wife!! lol..... (I was mighty impressed by the gift of a Peanut chunky kitkat from the garage)..

Killy
29-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Hi - do you go to the Kent monthly meet?

Killy
29-09-2009, 07:35 PM
will do - i'll post some pics once i get started.

Albie
29-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi - do you go to the Kent monthly meet?

Killy the monthly meet is at the Oakdene Cafe nr Wrotham Hill. Do you know it. We meet from 10am ish and its second sunday so that 11th October. I may be out for a ride this saturday if anyone wants to meet up after dinner probs or Sunday.
Also I can advise you on taking bike apart anytime.I did mine and helped Scrapps. Didnt turn out bad

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=25917

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1MsZbXi-8

Killy
29-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Albie,

Yes i know the cafe well. I could be up for a ride this weekend, as you can imagine i'm still a kid with a new toy at the moment! I would also like to hear your advice re taking the bike apart. send me a PM to discuss.

Cheers