PDA

View Full Version : Hey all!

Gunshow
28-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi All!

Just thought i'd stop by and say hi, I used to be a member on here years ago (when it very first started), but then I sold my beautiful bikes to buy a stunning 1963 AC Cobra, subsequently got bored of that and the HUGE running costs and have come back into the fold.

I currently own a year 2000 750 Ducati Monster Dark (black frame, black wheels), and in the past have had a 600 Dark, 750 streetfighter (sssooooo many mods and some of you may remember it from previous ride-outs, chrome tank with metal flake panel, stubby cans, polishes everything, tail chop, billet aluminium everything etc etc).

Now the winter is here the mods will begin on my new project, tail chop will be the first order of the day, swiftly followed by the wheels for polishing and painting, then off with the tank for a re-spray whilst I get stuck into the engine and other things that will cost me far too much money! :)

Anyway, no doubt I will speak to you all at some point begging to borrow a tool or for some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Z.

giler
28-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Welcome back - WOW AC Cobra, my all time favourite set of wheels.
Was it the 427?

Gunshow
28-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Hi Giler, yeah it was the 427, blue with white stripes, side exit exhausts, all the usual mods, I have a few pics somewhere, give me a min and i'll post them up if I can dig them out.

Gunshow
28-09-2009, 04:07 PM
This is the only one I can find on my work laptop.

giler
28-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Fantastic, so muscular and timeless.

Gunshow
28-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah, it was spectacular, but it was a total money pit, ive never, ever known running costs like it, everytime I took it out something went wrong, it became a running joke with my other half.

As beautiful as it is, unless you have enough cash to have £50k sat in a car that you never drive and can just look at parked up in the garage, (which I dont), then it just doesnt make sense.

I will say that I spent hours just looking at it, polishing it and starting it to hear the engine burble. It was however always marred by the fact that I was always spending money on it. Then my head kicked into gear and I decided I wanted something more usable so bought a 750 dark and a 3 year old 911 convertible, both of which make me smile loads, and both of which cost a lot less to run.

Its odd, you spend your life dreaming about having that one thing that means so much to you and think will rock your world when you finally get it, and so many times it leads to disappointment and dismay. By the time it was taken off to be auctioned I could'nt wait to see the back of it. Yet I've had a load of Ducati's, including a very temperamental 916 sps , and they never, ever fail to make me smile and my goosebumps rise on the back of my neck. Maybe i've been lucky with my bikes? Either way give me a duke anyday!

BluprintZ
28-09-2009, 05:43 PM
....Its odd, you spend your life dreaming about having that one thing that means so much to you and think will rock your world when you finally get it, and so many times it leads to disappointment and dismay.

I know what you mean mate, i bought a Pontiac Firebird in the 80's, i always wanted one as a kid.
I used to watch the petrol gauge go down on my way to work, it wasn't what you would call economical really!
When i had to replace the front brake pads...£25 each wheel set..!!
Those days, that was a lot of dosh for a set of pads, so i did a part-ex for a `76 Mk3 Cortina 200E, that was a bit better on juice but i did miss the Pontiac.
They say you should never meet your heroes....!

G : ) :thumbsup: