PDA

View Full Version : Headlight woes and solutions !!!!!!!

jerry
25-09-2009, 04:17 PM
My damn headlight is useless...no pwer or penetration I examined it today, dismantled the glass lens it is clean and shiney I have 12.8 v feed and the bulb is an Osram Xenon/superwhite but It is crap.I really have to do something about it ,

I have done some work on the internetty and looking at BOSCH data lists it seems that DUCATI cheapskates have used a car type lens on the Monster instead of the correct motorcycle one with no centre back reflector...YES its true ..monsters are fitted with a non Motorcycle specific headlamp which is known to have issues with its pattern...how the hell did Ducati get away with that !!!! must have been a cheap lot.

The solution may be to fit a CIBIE reflector ...yes i know HID is a possible solution but thge crap reflector will still be on the bike and its that which is probably losing 50% of the available light so fitting better bulbs or HID with all the attendant extra cost and wiring may be a waste of time.

I am looking into buying a VALEO/CIBIE 7'' H4 with sidelight reflector lens as used on race cars /bikes such as the older MINI which has a much superior reflector pattern to the archaic Bosch design on the Monster.This with a an Osram extreme Xenon bulb should do the trick at a cost of about £30 for the lens .

More as soon as i can get the CIBIE lens unit.

Jerry the Monsterman

Nickj
25-09-2009, 08:14 PM
A Cibie Z-beam is the biz, stick in a HID and you almost need a telescope to see the end of it :eek:

jerry
25-09-2009, 08:48 PM
A Cibie Z-beam is the biz, stick in a HID and you almost need a telescope to see the end of it :eek:
yeah Z beam thats the one ..
which HID kit did u use? where did u put the ballast?

Nickj
25-09-2009, 11:05 PM
The Z's are great, I had a CB500/4 once that you used to really struggle to see much by, out a Z on it and it was actually usable. Nice pattern dip and real reach on the main.
A while back I used a car one, a dual beam one with just one loom on a pegaso. The wiring was long enough that you could put it just about anywhere. It went inside the huge nose fiaring.
A smaller bike control box would be better size wise on a Monnie, though I've still got a car one kicking with a long loom so I'm thinking anywhere from near the lights to on the front top edge of the airbox.
Not had the time to do much with the current IE but lights are on the agenda soon as I get a spare weekend and a decent light unit.