PDA

View Full Version : Grass track racing - plus fireworks!

Shuffy
22-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Continuing the Kent Section's odyssey around alternative bike sport, anyone fancy a spot of grass track racing on 1 November?

http://www.fdmcc.co.uk/

For those not familiar with grass track, it's like speedway.... but on grass! And as an extra bonus, there's fireworks!!!

So any takers?

Albie
22-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Continuing the Kent Section's odyssey around alternative bike sport, anyone fancy a spot of grass track racing on 1 November?

http://www.fdmcc.co.uk/

For those not familiar with grass track, it's like speedway.... but on grass! And as an extra bonus, there's fireworks!!!

So any takers?

And mud spatterings.

Shuffy
Albie and Caroline
Scrapps
GT
AlanC
Fatbloke

gary tompkins
22-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Will the fireworks be as impressive as the ones at Lakeside?

Am I allowed to bring an air horn and a tartan car blanket?

If so count me in :)

fatbloke
23-09-2009, 07:57 AM
I love grasstrack i'll be there.

scrapps
23-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Yep sounds like a giggle put my name down. Now where did I put my flask and my wellies

alan c
23-09-2009, 05:04 PM
up for that, well done Chris :thumbsup:

Shuffy
23-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Brilliant! Looks like we got ourselves a convoy!! I'll check with the club to see if there's any hard standing for the bikes and if the meeting still runs if it rains, after all we don't want a repeat of three lap spectacular at Arena Essex. So airhorns and wellies at the ready....

gary tompkins
23-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Any idea how much it costs - couldn't see that on flyer?

Shuffy
23-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Gary I don't know but I'll drop the club an email and find out

Gadget
24-09-2009, 06:03 AM
I might be up for a quiet night out.
Bikes and fireworks should be a hoot.

gary tompkins
24-09-2009, 05:11 PM
I love grasstrack i'll be there.

Will you bring the turbo nutter multistrimmer? :on:

Shuffy
04-10-2009, 10:16 PM
I've had an email back from the organising club which kind of answers most questions (see below). The only slight snag might be parking the bikes in the field, fine if it's dry not so good if it's wet. Might be an idea to take a stand puck/lump of wood/crushed can etc with you if you're riding down.

Hi Chris

Thanks for your enquiry.

The meeting is held on a large field so there is no hard standing ,but cars and campers etc do park on the field as well as the competitors.

The start time is expected to be practice at 10.00am -11.00am with a no later than 12.30pm race time. There will be about 36 races including finals.

The 1000cc left-hand sidecars will be racing for the British Championships ,there will be a bonfire and professional firework display after the presentation.

There will be camping prior on the Saturday which is free with access to toilets and running water.

Admission is expected to be £12.00 adults Under 16’s FREE ,Concessions £8.00.

Keep an eye on the website as this will be updated as new information is received. If it should be cancelled due to adverse weather then this will normally be on the Thursday prior to the meeting.

For any further information please do get in touch.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Kind regards

Sandy (Secretary)

(Frittenden & District MCC Ltd)

gary tompkins
04-10-2009, 11:03 PM
I haven't got a side stand ;)

gary tompkins
19-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Just checking that everyone's still on for this :look:

Any more takers?

Albie
19-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Me.Shall I get teeshirts done. Kent does fireworks/grasstrack 09 :running::running::running:

scrapps
20-10-2009, 11:35 AM
yep i am still up for it..... plastic stand thingy ready in my jacket pocket (not room in bag with the wellies and air horn and flask):yoparty:
ooo who is bringing the sparklers ?

Albie
20-10-2009, 04:43 PM
yep i am still up for it..... plastic stand thingy ready in my jacket pocket (not room in bag with the wellies and air horn and flask):yoparty:
ooo who is bringing the sparklers ?

Oh go on then I will bring some.:thumbsup:

alan c
20-10-2009, 07:09 PM
still up for this, may take car if crap weather ?

Albie
25-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Im taking the car now as tbh will enjoy it more as if weather turns an it will be cold on way home if not wet and dark. Was thinking shall we take some BBQ trays for a cook up or just buy some. Taking flasks with some hot drinks but it will run out and will buy after.

Space available in my car if needed

alan c
25-10-2009, 04:21 PM
i will be taking car as well, not sure how much room yet but will let you know.

BBQ trays sounds good Albie, Sausage rolls and soup sounds good :D

Dont forget Air horns, silly hats etc etc.

ryanhorton1973
25-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Will try to make this but it depends on whether I have to travel away with work (Japan!)
If I don't go over there I will try to make it to Frittenden.:biggrin:

gary tompkins
30-10-2009, 08:50 PM
still up for this, may take car if crap weather ?

Forecast is a bit crap so it looks like 4 wheels is way to go

Met office
Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:
Heavy rain and strong to gale force winds spreading across all areas Sunday, followed by brighter, cooler conditions with sunny or clear intervals, blustery showers or longer periods of rain.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_weather.html

Albie
31-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Rain going by midday as we get there and then windy possibly. Its definately car for us and be able to stay dry. Cancelled the bbq and bits but bringing some cakey bits and carolines got the sparklers. A few beers and cider and a bottle of wine and rolls also coming. Dont forget the chairs possibly.

Anyone wants to pay for calender whilst there cheque or cash ok.

alan c
31-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Hi Albie, will bring cheque book with me.

i have a camping stove so could make tea and hot soup etc.

will sort out with Dartford boys so can car share ?

Albie
31-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi Albie, will bring cheque book with me.

i have a camping stove so could make tea and hot soup etc.

will sort out with Dartford boys so can car share ?

I have just made some PUMPKIN soup and its lovely. I shall bring it to reheat then. Got loads of tea and coffee too. Pretty much sorted. Everyone ok for a lift then that would be riding.

alan c
31-10-2009, 07:00 PM
That sounds good Albie.

Who else is coming ?????:scratch:

gary tompkins
31-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm still going Alan - will ring you tonight

I'll also give Shuffy a call as I haven't heard from him in a while

Shuffy
31-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Sorry for the late reply, but up to ears in decorating. Yeah I'd love to go tomorrow, am I right in thinking you're driving Alan? If you are can I cadge a lift? What time were you thinking of going?

alan c
31-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Will pick Gary up then you (shuffy) starts at 12,30 so how about 11o/c ?

Shuffy
31-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Sounds great Alan, many thanks!! Tried to call your mobile but got a strange man instead (add your own caption to finish....)

gary tompkins
31-10-2009, 10:40 PM
11-o-clock is fine with me too

Nice one Alan :thumbsup:

Shuffy
01-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone, as the weather here is less than perfect what does everyone want to do about going to the grasstrack? We're not certain they'll run the meeting in this weather and there's no contact number on the website to check. Does anyone live near Frittenden (or thereabouts) that can give us a more accurate weather report? It's a reasonable way to go to have to come straight back again and bear in mind it's just a field, ie nowhere to stand out of the rain (I'm really seeling this!). So what's the concensus?

alan c
01-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Lets just go and take a chance (nothing else planned today ?) at least we can try Albie,s pumpkin soup :booze:

gary tompkins
01-11-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm more in favour of cancelling at the moment, as it's sheeting down with rain here and blowing a gale. According to Metcheck it won't dry up until mid afternoon, and even if grasstrack does go ahead won't be much fun to stand around in. Even a golfing umbrella wouldn't be much protection from wind in a field - on the plus side it does mention a beer tent ;)

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=TN17%202ED

I've just rung club secretary on the landline number in the contacts page, but it just went to a answer phone and provided no mobile contact.

Albie
01-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Fantastic day tbh. Very wet and the kent contigency turned out to try and enjoy the weather. Well we did and made a bad day good. MMMM nice pub grub and very good humoured company. Got pumpkin soup for tea now.

Thanks guys

gary tompkins
01-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Grass track + fireworks meeting has been re-scheduled for 2 weeks time

We did find a nice pub though :mand:

Shuffy
01-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Best grass track racing I've seen in years and all from the comfort of a pub bar. Who knows, we might even see some bikes next time.

Anyway, great to see everybody and thanks again to Alan for the lift in his comfy, warm, dry car.

And if anyone wants some pumpkin soup, I think Albie has a couple of gallons going spare.

alan c
01-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks for a good day, shame about weather but good pub food and banter :D
Just had hot dogs for tea !!!

Lets hope for better weather in two weeks time.

Shuffy hurry up with the calender and get the painting finished :D

see you next sunday for Breakie.

Albie
01-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Bemused why you didnt follow me home. You decided to go go the long way through the town then !!!!.

2 weeks time seems like a good plan

scrapps
02-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Oooops i did not remember it was on. sounds good for two weeks time. please send me a text or give me a call to remind me as my computer is knackered at home so did not read the post.:dizzy:

J.P
02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Why do you guys keep having fun without me ?

alan c
02-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Sorry JP thought you was on HOILIDAY again :dizzy:

Albie
02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Why do you guys keep having fun without me ?

It was posted a fair few times J.P Blame shuffy as its his baby. Always rains on his parade.

Albie
11-11-2009, 07:06 PM
No there is no grasstrack racing.

Heres the details

Frittenden Season Finale 2009 (Bonfire Burn-up)

Saturday November 14th

Meeting Cancelled

Due to waterlogged field and with more rain iminent on ,Thursday,Friday and all day Saturday we regret that we have no choice but to cancel the meeting.
We would like to thank all and everyone that has tried in vain to make the re-run workable,especially the riders many still willing to make the long journeys to the track,all the track team and background crew ,all the marshals and officials.Totally gutted.
Hope for a better 2010.
Sandy Russell

Anyone wanting a refund please send your entrance ticket to me: Sandy Russell 8 Gwyneth Grove Bexhill on sea East Sussex TN40 2SZ with a SAE or you can keep hold of it and get an entry to any of our meetings next year thankyou.

Provisional Dates for 2010

23rd May 2010 Battle of Britain
4th July 2010 Masters Challenge (QUALIFIER)
5th September 2010 Frittenden Flyer
31st October 2010 Season Finale incorporating bonfire and fireworks

Shuffy
11-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Blame shuffy as its his baby. Always rains on his parade.

Blimey, it certainly does! The Rain God strikes again.