PDA

View Full Version : anyone having to change address

snakey
22-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Has anyone had to change address recently, and been worried about losing their entitlement to ride a bike , as has happened in a few reported cases, including a police bike cop, who had to re-take his test. I have found that you can do it online at Apply online to change the address on your driving licence : Directgov - Motoring however there is a worrying statement halfway through :-

Driving before your new licence arrives
--------------------------------------------------------

The law allows you to drive before you receive your driving licence as long as:

* you have held a Great Britain or Northern Ireland licence issued since
1 January 1976
* you are not disqualified from driving (there are different rules for
medium or large vehicles, minibus or bus drivers -the traffic
commissioner for your area will decide whether to grant your
entitlement to drive these vehicles)
* you have not been, and would not be, refused a licence for medical
reasons
* you keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence
* the entitlement on your licence has not expired

Now WTF right has the traffic commisioner for an area got to affect my licence, In effect what they are saying is that, although I have driven 7.5 ton lorries, towed a F1 car round in a trailer and driven mini buses containing children and wheelchair bound adults, and been entitled to do so for over 30 years, at the stroke of some jerk's pen my livelyhood could be taken away, that is the way i earn a crust at the moment and have done so on and off over that period, the catagories are on my licence and they should stay there, and just perhaps that is how the A catagory has been dissapearing from some bikers licences recently. I have taken precautions of photo copying both parts of the licence, and my digital tacho card - just in case, but the one thing about doing it online is that they will send out your new licence in 10 working days, and you are supposed to cut your old photo card and paper section up and return it to DVLA, It would seem extremely wise not to do so untill you have checked ALL the details on the new one.

Pete.

gremlin
22-09-2009, 09:47 PM
There was a distinct lack of common sense in the case of the traffic cop poor sod. I photocopied mine before I sent it away for my bike to be put on it just in case it came back with bike only or something daft. I wonder if you can sue for loss of earnings if they do stuff up. Mind you having proof of stuff doesn't always work, there was a case up here of someone being stopped for no insurance, they produced the docs at the side of the road but still got a £200 on the spot fine and the car impounded because it wasn't on the database, makes you wonder what you have to do these days for proof.

snakey
22-09-2009, 11:07 PM
there was a case up here of someone being stopped for no insurance, they produced the docs at the side of the road but still got a £200 on the spot fine and the car impounded because it wasn't on the database, makes you wonder what you have to do these days for proof.

A real case of ' computer says no ' Sad and dangerous times.

Pete.

ladybird
23-09-2009, 08:26 AM
I did the online thing and forgot to send back my paper licence until the new one arrived and I had checked it.