PDA

View Full Version : Optimate or other battery conditioner?

MrsC_772
20-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Apologies if this question has been answered umpteen times already.

When the weather turns cold and wet and horrible, I expect my shiny new 696 may remain in the garage unridden for a few weeks at a time.

If I left my old 400 Bandit for a few weeks between rides, I'd charge up the battery the night before I planned to next ride it, to ensure my bike would start. Removing the battery to plug it into the charger was a simple job (remove seat, remove 4 screws, lift out).

Reading the Monster manual, it appears you have to take half the bike apart to get to the battery (remove tank covers, fuel tank etc) so my old technique won't be practical.

I'm therefore thinking it would be wise to get an Optimate or similar, so that I could leave the bike plugged in to keep the battery topped up over winter.

Is there a particular battery conditioner that is recommended for the 696? How complicated is it to connect to the battery whatever wiring is needed to plug in to an Optimate or similar? Is it something I could do, or should I ask Snells to rig up whatever is needed when it goes in for its 600 mile initial service.

uksurfer
20-09-2009, 08:06 PM
if the 696 is like the rest of the range, buy an optimate/conditioner, you get a 'fly lead' to connect to your battery, bolts on to the terminals, at the other end is a socket, hide this somewhere near the engine, then when you park it up, just plug the other end in to it to the wall socket, you can also get a solar power one if you've got no electric?
Once the leads installed, it takes 5 seconds to plug in and out
HTH :)

maybe get snells to fix it in when you have ur service? doubt they'd charge you for doing it

Yorkie
20-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Optimate, one of the best bits of kit to keep your Duc starting!!!

Yorkie.

kneedown
20-09-2009, 08:23 PM
i leave mine plugged in all the time 'think they turn off when charged enought

Nickj
20-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Optimate, one of the best bits of kit to keep your Duc starting!!!

Constant use, let the bike do the work ;)

CK & AK
21-09-2009, 06:50 AM
When you take your bike back to get the oil weep fixed, get them to fit an optimate lead whilst its there.

Mind you, last winter when I put my back out & was unable to ride for about 9 weeks, my 696 fired up 1st time I asked her & she isnt on an optimate :)

CK