PDA

View Full Version : Finally Prison for Death Driver but what a Joke yet again?

STIVH
16-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Finally someone gets a prison sentence for wiping out a motorcyclist but when you read the facts it makes you so pissed off with our courts they just don't seem to get it - what world do these arshole judges live in?

clicky:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8259142.stm

NewMon
16-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Did I miss something in the report? It seems reasonable that the new law allows someone who willingly broke the law and then caused a death to be jailed. I can see that it may be difficult to jail anyone who causes a fatal accident where the emphasis is on 'accident'. However, this woman should not have even been driving in the first place. Hopefully it will discourage others who haven't even bothered to learn to drive.

STIVH
16-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Did I miss something in the report

Well as 6 months jail equates to about 8 weeks in the present system and if you get caught speeding at 120mph plus on a bike you can reckon on getting anything upto 18 months plus and at least a year plus ban - God forbid you do it in North Wales though?

I know speed is not the issue but as this case proves it also isn't the only killer.

Personally I think she got off well light with the sentence - and I can see no deterent visible, especially as she has already shown 2 years ealier that she didn't give a toss what the courts thought.

Liz
16-09-2009, 08:35 PM
"Sheriff Convery also disqualified Kenny from holding or obtaining a driving licence for two years"

And, this means what? Because it stops no-one getting back into a car - no licence, no insurance, no tax etc etc! A lot of the time it's the 'innocent' people who get targeted because, when we get 'camered'/stopped etc it's because we have all of the above and therefore can be traced easily. Personally, I still think that everyone should be made to ride a bike before they are allowed to drive a car - a big 'ask', but could save a lot of lives.

BluprintZ
16-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Personally, I still think that everyone should be made to ride a bike before they are allowed to drive a car - a big 'ask', but could save a lot of lives.

I been saying that for years, although as you say Liz, it's highly unlikely that will ever happen.
By next April, i'll have had a bike licence for 40 years exactly.
In all that time, i've had several accidents, as you would possibly expect, although i would say that 90% were down to either cars/lorries/buses/horses, plus the odd pedestrian i've mowed down.
In other words, those accidents were instigated by a third party but in the main, it was situations involving cars.
Seven of those accidents involved the driver being totaly illegal to drive, one was a 15 year old girl, with three of her mates in her parents Volvo estate, who flattened my 1100 Yam but that's a long story.
Twelve months at least on a bike would probably help make some people more aware, before moving up to a car, although there are some right Jessies out there who cause accidents but are oblivious to the carnage they leave behind, i know, i've had a couple of hit`n runs as well!

G : )

Liz
16-09-2009, 09:24 PM
As STIVH said, "speed is not the issue". I went over the bonnet of a car which pulled out of a parking space, I was only doing 30, (the driver had just come out of the pub!) in front of me - bike went into the side of the car, I went over the bars onto the bonnet and into the road - he drove off, (years before the Monster though!) Fortunately, some witnesses so eventually got an insurance payout. Not too many 'offs' as am a real 'wimp' nowadays, but of course, have committed myself to a track day :eek:

kneedown
16-09-2009, 09:31 PM
goodwood is at chichester well near by

Arbeia
16-09-2009, 11:08 PM
True story! Girl in her 20`s driving car rams bloke on bike from behind and kills him. The cops learn she was txting on her phone at time of impact. so she gets a £260 fine and banned for 2 years. Wheres the justice?!

He11cat
17-09-2009, 12:01 AM
is no justice... and £260 .. is that all that persons lifes worth.....
Id take em to the bloody morgue.. and make them face the family... see exactly the chaos they leave behind.....mind you if they have no respect for the law they have not much respect for anything...they just think they are above it all and im alright jack...

Bigxr
17-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Totally agree. In any other walk of life if your neglegence caused loss of life you'd be on the sh**ty end of a very ugly stick.
Because its on the road its always been treated so lightly its sickening.
Think of that poor guys family, where can they turn for justice?
The law's an ass.

uksurfer
17-09-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/4460992.A413_crash_driver_arrested_on_suspicion_of _causing_death_by_dangerous_driving/

the girl who was in the car, is the daughter of a guy i've known through work for many years,
the chap driving the car - no licence(on a ban),no insurance , and it was his brothers car that he'd borrowed for the night, Laura had just returned from college and was soon to be celebrating her 21st, lets hope the driver gets life, not 18 months.