PDA

View Full Version : S2R Warm enough for welly???

Bigxr
14-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I use my S2R for a short commute to work, 7 miles or so My bike doesn't go off the "LO" temp reading until i'm nearly at my destination.
There's about 3 miles of dual carriageway about half way with some nice open roundabouts, does it do any harm to succum to temptation and give it some welly before the temp reading goes over the "LO"?? should I cover the cooler with gaffer tape? Anyone ever had probs with caning a cool engine?

Yorkie
14-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Take a longer route to work!!!! Problem solved!

Yorkie

Nickj
14-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Sometimes on sub-zero days my IE hardly got over low on the oil temp.
I always figured that the oil was runny enouh to lube the moving bits OK so didn't sweat it. As long as the heads and barrels are warm enough to expand up to a operating size it ought to be fine.
Give it a bit longer before you start to warm up more and then as Yorkie advises find a better route in. I'd hate to just do 7 odd miles, sometimes I divert a little and make it a tank full in and out (that'll be about 130 miles) :biggrin:

steeevvvooo
15-09-2009, 07:45 AM
I try to keep the revs low until the temp rises above 50. No science or mechanical knowledge behind it though! :dunce:

Usually takes about 2 miles for me so not too bad. As suggested, give it a few minutes at standstill which should get you warmed up a bit before you set off :cool:

rac3r
15-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm in a similar situation to you and I've posted this on a few forums. Here's the latest:

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/ducati-chat/37832-short-journeys.html

Hope it helps, the only difference is that my bike is air cooled (not sure if that makes any difference) :running:

uksurfer
15-09-2009, 05:27 PM
a minute or two idle on the drive whilst i put my helmet and gloves on, then ride it up the road - thats my warm up, take it steady for the rest of the journey! :)

Bigxr
18-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm in a similar situation to you and I've posted this on a few forums. Here's the latest:

http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/ducati-chat/37832-short-journeys.html

Hope it helps, the only difference is that my bike is air cooled (not sure if that makes any difference) :running:

Thanks for that folks, makes me more at ease with the Duke for work now. (still use the MZ when it rains tho!!:spin:

Bigxr
19-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Jus redressed the balance. 200 mile thrape around my favorite mid wales roads. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.
Responsive, gutsy, corners like a playstation - some sports bikes were shown how to go round bends too!! (they had me on a dual c'way, but so what!) First full blood ride on the Monsterand its evrything i expected and more!
Need to get some metal edges for my boots tho, cos mine are nearly worn out now!
Gonna give it a good polish and put it to bed, nice day tomorrow....