PDA

View Full Version : fitting brake / clutch leaver

aceg3905
14-09-2009, 09:49 AM
well after my recent put down i need to change the brake leaver, decided I may change them at the same time for something like the below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brake-Clutch-lever-Ducati-Monster-900-1000-S2R_W0QQitemZ250494260123QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mot orcycle_Parts?hash=item3a529f139b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

my question is how hard are thease to do? ignore my ignorance but do I need to bleed / repressure the system or is it a simple job?

i ride an 03 monster 1000 s i.e

thanks in advance

LouSCannon
14-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Five minute job.

Undo the nut under the lever, slid out bolt, remove lever, little blob of grease on the contact before sliding in new lever.

Can also use cable ties to reattach, either with the nut for security or without if you drop your bike lots and need to hot swap quickly! :)

aceg3905
14-09-2009, 10:01 AM
that simple, thank you.

an im not going to make a habit of dropping it (i hope) could of kicked myself but im sure weve all been there (please god someone make me feel better)

LouSCannon
14-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Oh god yes, when I first got mine the stand slipped on gravel outside the garage I was storing it and I had to struggle to keep it upright...

Then there was the incident on Fish Hill during the weekender where I was set upon by a beast of a rabbit that caused me to clip a kerb at 5mph and drop mine in a load of grass...

AndyP
14-09-2009, 01:30 PM
When I changed mine I had to swap the clutch lever push rod and trunnion, a bit tricky because the're pinned and glued in place. Try not to wreck the threads because I don't think the're available separately, not from Ducati anyway. Probably need a tap die to clean the threads.
No need to bleed anything but take time to adjust the push rod length, too short and it won't release fully, too long and it might be difficult to bleed in future and/or pump up.
Loctite and a blob of Areldite seals it all up again.
I can't comment on the quality of those levers but for that sort of money you could look at CRGs or Pazzos. I went for CRGs because the blades are available separately.

aceg3905
14-09-2009, 02:12 PM
thanks guys, brake leaver off and awaiting part, changed my mind and went for as close to standard given i may drop again

all in all £33 for a set so not to bad....

thanks again

aceg3905
18-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Okay so on with my problems, ordered a new set and there matt black so I changed the brake leaver no problems.

Now this is where it goes wrong ;), when changing the clutch lever ive come across a problem the actuation pin in the stock lever is in fast, looks like previous owner has already swapped this out once and done a bad job re-installing.

For now the stock lever is on but ive got a mis-match and there is no way im getting the old pin out. any one know where I can purchase a new clutch actuation pin wthout having to purchase a new stock lever assembly.....