PDA

View Full Version : Hot Running and Blue ish Smoke

adam15
11-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Hello all,

well it was a nice ride to the Ace's but got caught up in London and the bike did not like it, it got very hot and i had to stop a couple of times to let it cool down. It was giving off a blue ish colour exhaust smoke which as i understand is from oil being burned by the engine.

As I have not had much time to check this out since getting home last night and going to work today, would anyone be able to give be some help or maybe reasurance that this is normal when it gets really hot or whether there is another problem that needs to be addressed.
The bike has never got this hot or been ridden in as much traffic for quite a while (before the rebuild).

Thanks in advance for any help

slob
11-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Definitely not normal

Half Pint
11-09-2009, 10:31 AM
could it be the oil getting too hot and going down the valve guides or getting in around the rings???

Albie
11-09-2009, 11:18 AM
You need to get yourself an oil cooler. That will help for sure.

adam15
11-09-2009, 11:47 AM
You need to get yourself an oil cooler. That will help for sure.

one step ahead of you there Albie, I fitted one when i rebuilt it :mand:

Albie
11-09-2009, 01:33 PM
one step ahead of you there Albie, I fitted one when i rebuilt it :mand:

Well you may have problems then. I hope its just hot running then. I take it you used good oil.

taffyracer
11-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Sorry for the hijack......I rode 100miles or so the other day on the Mway, 70mph and temp gauge was on full, the bike made lots of noise but just didn't rev or go any higher, lots of metallic pinking sounds as well, got me very worried and it was as if it had a blockage or something......did a trackday yesterday at Donington and it was fine....very strange.....bike has recent termi installatoion and would be interested to hear if these bikes generally run hot

Albie
11-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Hijack again Ryan's 696 had a similar sensation on sudden no power and getting hot. Ok afetr 5 mins and motorway ride after.

adam15
12-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I ran it this morning and seems ok now its not HOT HOT, but will be popping out later for a long run to see if its ok. Not too sure if the oil cooler is working properly though will check it when its hot, if not is it possible to get it flushed through?

Albie
15-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Anyone know if its easy to clear through a oilcooler if blocked. What would you use. Not mine obviously