PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wheel Aliment Marks on Swing Arm (How accurate?)

mintyhit
07-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Morning Everyone

I decided to tighten my chain myself for the first time at the weekend as it was a bit on the saggy side. Unfortunately I messed up my markings on the bolts (I was very hung-over, please forgive me) so I decided to tighten using the alignment markings on the swing-arm instead to insure both sides are equal.

So I set the tightness of the chain and then using callipers I measured as accurately as I possibly could the exact point within the markings and set both sides accordingly. Does this make sense?

The bike feels ok (no wobbles or judders) however I now get a funny whine\whistle whenever I get at about 60 – 70mph… the whine quickly disappears when I go above 70.

I am only assume this is an alignment problem, does this mean that it is impossible to set it with these markings along or am I doing something wrong? How do they check the alignment in a workshop, laser?

Also I don’t currently own a bike stand to I had to do the adjustments with the bike on the side-stand if this makes a difference.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
James

BluprintZ
07-09-2009, 09:27 AM
A paddock stand would make it much easier and at around £35, it's well worth considering, makes life a lot easier for quite a few jobs.
As for lining up the rear wheel/chain, i don't bother with the guides (this is where the p/stand helps).
I make sure that once i have the desired tension on the chain, i then check that the chain is running central to the teeth on the rear sprocket, another check on the tension, tighten everything, then a quick spray with lube and the jobs done.
Do make allowances for when it's off the stand and you are sat on the bike, the chain WILL tighten slightly, so i allow a bit more sag when adjusting the chain initially.

G : )

slob
07-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I have a laser alignment tool, we can check the marks on your swingarm when you come round to collect the teatray

BluprintZ
07-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I have a laser alignment tool...

That is cheating Rob, technology is all well`n good but ya can't beat the good`ole Heath Robinson ways, innit?
(you look very well turned out in the cake wedding pics by the way, well done).

G : ) :mand:

mintyhit
07-09-2009, 11:19 AM
You rock!!!

Thanks man.

I have a laser alignment tool, we can check the marks on your swingarm when you come round to collect the teatray