PDA

View Full Version : Another Dead M600 - help please

gwyndaff
05-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Please Help
Put simply, my M600 (98 model) won't come to life.
I turn the ignition key and the instrument lights dont come on. (they come on once in a while - like 1 in a 100 trys - then the bike will start and run fine)
If I put it in "park" the side light comes on as normal

The yellow relay (under the seat - called the General Relay in Haynes book) clicks as expected.

Can this Relay be faulty even if it clicks?
Is there an easy way to test? Haynes explains but I was looking for a dummy's guide

Any help would be greatfully appriciated
Ta Gwynd.

gwyndaff
05-09-2009, 07:34 PM
oh - Ive tapped the relay with the handle of a screwdriver to pretend I know what I'm doing. (doesnt help)

CK & AK
05-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Could be the relay as they do suffer.
Also, look at the block connector where the ignition switch goes into the loom (white block connector) they are known for corroding badly. To do this you need to lift the tank, then trace the wire from the igniton switch (where the key goes in) to a block connector.
Take apart & clean contacts.
Good luck (and where have you been for so long you mad welsh fella - its been years!)

CK :)

Nickj
05-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Usually the relay just stops it starting, but everything else should work.
Given the tell tale lights not coming on consistently then it sounds like it might be a bit more basic. The ignition switch might be duff or have some muck in it so it's not switching the power on.
It might be worth getting some contact cleaner into it like disk brake cleaner then some light lube.

Course I might be totally wrong :D

gwyndaff
05-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi CK - Thanks for the help, I'll check in the morning. I've had the tank up today (only looking, no pulling apart as yet).
I know I've been quiet for a while (shame on me) - I do pop in from time to time to see how everyone is doing.
Take it easy. Gwyndaff

gwyndaff
05-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi Nick, I'm shotgunning everything at the moment so I'll give the ignition barrel a shot as well
Cheers Butt
Gwynd

NattyBoy
06-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Hope you get sorted Gwundaff...good to hear from you mate - let us know if you want to come out to play with the swindon monster massive ! !

He11cat
06-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Hei!
ok mine turned out to be a wiring fault which shorted the relay .. and yes my lights did come on a few times but eventually just died...

where my alarm had been removed it was a bit bodged..on the wires..
was a quick fix ..and I really must buy a spare relay..

mine just went click click click..and bike was kaput!!!

gwyndaff
06-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Natt,
Yeah good to hear from you and some old faces (not that i'm saying your old anyone)
I need to get the bike running and take it down to Rich at Louigi for the big service (gulp)

Hope to get to a rideout before the weather gets too bad. I know its long overdue. Good Job not everyone is like me or this would by the cruppest club in the world.

TAke it easy
Gwynd

gwyndaff
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi He11,

I hope its not a wiring problem.
I'll pop in to Pegasus next week to pick up a spare relay just to try before I start tracing thru the wires.

I'm going to spend an hour this afternoon with some contact cleaner, just squirting it in the general direction of the bike.
Gwyndaff

gwyndaff
08-09-2009, 07:53 PM
bike still dead.

I'll have to wait till the end of the week for a new relay as they're not in stock in Reading. (although I've got a nagging feeling that its not the fault)

I've checked everything thats been mentioned so far with no success.

Just one thing mind: I removed the "General Relay" and powered it up on the bench using a 12V power supply, Measuring the resistance between Pin30 and Pin87 with 12V connected across Pin86 -ve and Pin 85 +ve, I was seeing about 8ohms (I was expecting less than 0.5ohms as a guess).
So the Relay is energising and throwing the contacts, but the resistance is a bit high.
Has anyone else measured this?

I suppose I'll just have to wait till Friday to see if a new Relay does the trick- (typical when there's sunshine about)

Ah well - The joys of Italian Electrics

Gwynd

CK & AK
08-09-2009, 09:13 PM
does sound like the contacts have burnt & now causing high resistance.
Hope the relay turns up in time for you to check for the weekend.
AK

gwyndaff
09-09-2009, 08:34 PM
yeah, it would be great if the sun is out and the bike fixed.

It was perfect this evening.. Just the long way home from work would have done for me today - I've got withdrawal symptoms