PDA

View Full Version : I've done it now! (696 test ride review)

MrsC_772
05-09-2009, 05:48 PM
My thoughts on the 696 below.

The good points:

* Confidence inspiring handling - I wouldn't go so far as to say I'll start loving downhill left hand hairpins on the Monster, but I felt so much more confident going into bends. Instead of that horrible knot in my stomach on a 90 degree left hander, I found the Bike Grin developing!
* The lovely forgiving engine. My current bike is a 400cc Suzuki Bandit, where I'm constantly going up and down the gearbox, chasing a limited powerband, while the Monster had oodles of grunt, whatever gear I was in (ok, apart from bottom which is lumpy and horrible) with plenty left over. I didn't have that feeling that I was in the wrong gear in lots of bends - the engine makes up for my inadequacies as a rider.
* Torque - I hadn't realised what I was missing until now!
* It's so light! The 400 felt a little top heavy in comparison when I got back on it afterwards.
* Nice light clutch and reasonable gearbox.
* Front brake is usable even at low speed - no fork dive and traffic light wobbliness.
* Character - it isn't one of those bikes that is screaming come on if you think you're hard enough, but it still has presence. The 696 looks are growing on me.
* It's red, Italian, and a Ducati!

Not so good points

* The vibey twin thing took a bit of getting used too (and made me appreciate how smooth the inline 4 engine in my baby Bandit is) but hey.
* Ride is certainly firmer than I'm used to (the flip side of the sharper steering I guess - stiffer suspension).
* I can see why the blokes might look to change the seat, as you're pressed right up against the tank.
* The back brake is as useless as an appendix.
* I can see why magazine journalists don't rate it as a motorway bike. I'm used to the naked bike windblast, but combined with the vibeytwin thing it would be quite tiring for long distances.
* The sound on starting it up was, dare I say it, a little agricultural. (No doubt this will be met with advice to buy Termis ...)
* It will make me a lazier rider, rather than necessarily a technically better one, but it will make me a much more confident and happier one.

After a certain amount of consideration (only one cup of tea's worth), I gave Snells in Alton a deposit, and all being well, should have the new toy next weekend or the weekend after.

DavidEJM
05-09-2009, 06:10 PM
well done and congrats on the new purchase

Paivi
05-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah, baby! Well done, Eleanor! How funny, Andy was supposed to be getting a Monster after passing his test (how's he doing?) and you end up buying one!

If you get the bike by next Saturday, come and join us at Box Hill from about 10.30 to noon-ish to show it off. There's a Ducatisti monthly meet at Box Hill every second Sunday of a month, so you may catch it perfectly.

Albie
05-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Oh well done you. Those positives were correct and those negatives will change Im pretty sure.

MrsC_772
05-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Andy points out that nobody has said he can't buy a Monster too! (He did admit that they had more character than all the Japanese 4s he has been looking at). Module 1 passed, with Module 2 on Thursday so keeping fingers crossed.

If we do make it to Box Hill next Sunday, Andy asks if he could have a sit on your 695 (just to get a feel for how the ergonomics differ from the 696).

CK & AK
05-09-2009, 08:12 PM
The 696 shouldnt make you a lazier rider MrsC_772.
Its light & nimble - and you can really make it work hard for you if you wish to. The larger monsters 'can' make you lazy - but only if you let them & dont give them their head on occasions.

Well done on the purchase, just get the rear suspension adjusted for you when you pick it up as they do come out of the box on a hard setting. To soften it off makes a lot of difference. (AK has done several now & all have remarked how much better the bike is)
See you out and about soon then :D

CK

Paivi
05-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Andy points out that nobody has said he can't buy a Monster too! (He did admit that they had more character than all the Japanese 4s he has been looking at). Module 1 passed, with Module 2 on Thursday so keeping fingers crossed.

If we do make it to Box Hill next Sunday, Andy asks if he could have a sit on your 695 (just to get a feel for how the ergonomics differ from the 696).
Sure he can. You can't though, as you'd start having second thoughts and would want to cancel your order! :chuckle:

Nickj
05-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Not so good points?? Naww still positives :banana:
The vibey twin thing took a bit of getting used too (and made me appreciate how smooth the inline 4 engine in my baby Bandit is) but hey
LOL That's one of the smoother engines too, its actually really handy as you always know what it's doing
The back brake is as useless as an appendix. They all are useless good job too!!, if they do work they'll have you off on your ass first time you need to stop quickly... from a medical perspective a back brake would make a really bad appendix :scratch:
I can see why magazine journalists don't rate it as a motorway bike. I'm used to the naked bike windblast, but combined with the vibeytwin thing it would be quite tiring for long distances. Hehehehe some people pay good money for a vibro massager, and hey you get one for free ;) It's more the firm seat that send your bum into oblivion
It will make me a lazier rider, rather than necessarily a technically better one, but it will make me a much more confident and happier one.
Ohhh no not lazier, its a much more immersive experience.

You'll love it, best bikes ever :D

Liz
06-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Congratulations on your purchase! I sat on Sweetpea's 696 yesterday at Pembrey - quite different to my M600. It looked 'taller' but wasn't, the tank seemed longer which seemed to make you sit back rather than more 'upright' as on my bike and it definately felt lighter. Daren't have a test ride on one - couldn't afford to buy it if I liked it!

kneedown
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
well done that is one of the bikes i would have liked to get

Liz
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
well done that is one of the bikes i would have liked to get

Isn't that a 'downsize' from an S4R though?

Albie
07-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I downsized from s4/916 to m1100 which is slower and down 6hp but wouldn't go down to a 696.

CK & AK
07-09-2009, 06:57 AM
I 'downsized' from the M1000sie (ridden hard for 4.5yrs) to the 696 to much derision from sportsbike mates - and also on forums from those who dont know me or who have ridden with me.
I have as much fun on this bike as the other on all our local roads & beyond, tho dont go on the straightline dual carriageways if there is a better twisty route.
It happily keeps along with 'big bikes' and some of the time outhandles & will go past on bends too - it all depends on whom you are riding with......

The only thing I miss is the engine braking of the DS engine - but in comparison, the turning in is so much more nimble. Who can honestly say that they use the whole rev range in each gear on the road? :)

Horses for courses tho.

CK :)

Albie
07-09-2009, 07:06 AM
No disrespect meant but its too small for me as in stature. And your right I wont ever use the power of 1100 and never used the more power of s4. My only 2 reasons for choice were 2 up riding and liked it because it was taller.

Liz
07-09-2009, 08:47 PM
No disrespect meant but its too small for me as in stature. And your right I wont ever use the power of 1100 and never used the more power of s4. My only 2 reasons for choice were 2 up riding and liked it because it was taller.

Too small? Why do you want a 'tall' bike? Met a guy on Sat at Pembrey (not a Ducati rider) who said to me that his son wanted to get an M600 - 'that's a girly bike' he said! Well, the red mist came down - yes, it sort of is, but isn't! I personally love my little Monster but it is a great little bike - if you're a bloke, get a Monster Dark, maybe that wouldn't make you feel so 'girly'?!!!

BluprintZ
07-09-2009, 08:56 PM
When i first thought about getting a Monster, i felt that the 600 would be plenty big enough, i was also quite taken with the 600 Fazer, so i had set the cc limit at that.
My mate who used to race and has a 750 Supersport, thought that seeing as i had owned quite a few big Jap bikes in the 80's, thought that i would soon outgrow the 600.
I took his advice and bought the 900, so although i've never ridden a 600 Monnie, i see them more as an introduction to the Monster range, then maybe move up to a larger one when needed?
Certainly never seen the 600 as a "girlie" bike, more like a starter for newbies to the scene.

G : )

Albie
07-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Long legs Liz and Carolines pretty much pillion all the time. Shes not heavy but 2 up bikes do compress a lot and dont handle unless good suspension. I also want power to be similar to what I gave up.
696 is a brilliant bike but it never done it for me in the looks department.I dont like the twin sided swingarm and wanted single sided again Unless you know what I gave up for it you would see why. I wasnt downsizing for less power just a touring twin aircooled and new.

Liz
07-09-2009, 09:58 PM
When i first thought about getting a Monster, i felt that the 600 would be plenty big enough, i was also quite taken with the 600 Fazer, so i had set the cc limit at that.
My mate who used to race and has a 750 Supersport, thought that seeing as i had owned quite a few big Jap bikes in the 80's, thought that i would soon outgrow the 600.
I took his advice and bought the 900, so although i've never ridden a 600 Monnie, i see them more as an introduction to the Monster range, then maybe move up to a larger one when needed?
Certainly never seen the 600 as a "girlie" bike, more like a starter for newbies to the scene.

G : )

Always fancied a Fazer or a Bandit - rode the Monster rode the block - 'smitten'. Absolutely loved it and still do!

Long legs Liz and Carolines pretty much pillion all the time. Shes not heavy but 2 up bikes do compress a lot and dont handle unless good suspension. I also want power to be similar to what I gave up.
696 is a brilliant bike but it never done it for me in the looks department.I dont like the twin sided swingarm and wanted single sided again Unless you know what I gave up for it you would see why. I wasnt downsizing for less power just a touring twin aircooled and new.

Ok Albie, now you've lost me with the 'technical' talk! To me, it either looks good or it doesn't!

Albie
08-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Liz. I had a fantastic bike before. I made it into something very special with a single side swingarm and to sell it I had to have a bike that was a comfy and as capable 2 up.
How it looked originally and 2 up. Feet are firmly planted on floor.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Albies%20Monster%20pics/AndyCaroline.jpg

Old bike which I rebuilt as you can see it looks small on me too.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/UKMOCWeekender2009_0117_edited-1-1.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/UKMOCWeekender2009_0125_edited-1.jpg

New bike which is tall and singlesided and great suspension for 2 up riding

Notice how high the rear end is. I find getting leg over challenging

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Tailchop005.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Tailchop009.jpg

CK & AK
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Liz - Albie is a daddy-long-legs of riders!
He's just got immensely long (skinny) legs! :D Hence why he dwarfs most of the rest of the Monsters :)

C, waiting for Albie to slam her head in the door :D

Albie
08-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Liz - Albie is a daddy-long-legs of riders!
He's just got immensely long (skinny) legs! :D Hence why he dwarfs most of the rest of the Monsters :)

C, waiting for Albie to slam her head in the door :D

I wouldn't do that C. Im a gentle tall skinny legged geek. Funny my old dad wouldn't let me buy an RD250F as it was too big when I was 17. Had to make do with a Gt200X5.

You see my point though dont you. :mand::mand:

Liz
11-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I think we seem to have strayed from the original thread about the Ducati 696 but, my friend's boyfriend had an RD250 and let me have a go on it - I thought he was going to have a heart attack when I said let me have a go on it - bloody quick bike!! And no, I didn't bin it!