PDA

View Full Version : Foot peg hanger thingy tidy up

rac3r
04-09-2009, 04:30 PM
On my 620 the paint is flaking in few places and i'm sorting it out bit by bit. I'm starting with the foot peg hanger things ( :mand: ) My plan is to strip the paint then polish with autosol but I'm not sure what they are made from therefore I don't know if they'll rust if I just polish them and not paint :confused:

Does anyone know what they are made from?

Albie
04-09-2009, 04:37 PM
They are cast aluminium. You can either polish them but you will either have to laquer them or be forever polishing them or get them powdercoated for around £20 a pair. I had mine done in satin black. Looked great. You can choose a colour and they are shotblasted first. Place in Hackney I used.

http://armourtex.tripod.com/

rac3r
04-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks Albie, I just want to polish it first and see how it comes out and if I don't like it then I have a friend who does car bodywork who will paint them gloss black for me along with some other bits :cool:

Albie
04-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Ok no probs. You wont want to bother with the back as its not smooth like the front. Just polish the front .

rac3r
04-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Is it possible to do without taking them off? I'm not sure how take off the bits near the gear lever and brake pedal thats why

Yorkie
04-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Another vote for powdercoating!

Yorkie.

Albie
04-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Is it possible to do without taking them off? I'm not sure how take off the bits near the gear lever and brake pedal thats why

Not really no.You wont do a proper job and will do your knuckles in probs. Only take 15 mins to remove. If you do it as a winter project if you lay the bike up. If you do take off the leftside holds the side stand on so best you do it on a padock stand

rac3r
04-09-2009, 05:22 PM
:cry: I don't have a paddock stand, never mind thanks anyway :chuckle:

singletrack
04-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Azhar - Andrew took the foot pegs off and replaced them without a paddock stand. It is a fairly easy job.( even one I would try myself!).
Did I give you the Haynes Manual? - that should help.
Just get someone ( younger brother?) to hold the bike upright for a few minutes and you will be ok.
Just be careful when taking out the bolt holding the footpeng AND sidestand in - the bike will try to fall over if you don't hold it. Just put the bolt back in temporarily without the footpeg and it will hold it.

The pegs will look great polished!

Anne x

rac3r
05-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Azhar - Andrew took the foot pegs off and replaced them without a paddock stand. It is a fairly easy job.( even one I would try myself!).
Did I give you the Haynes Manual? - that should help.
Just get someone ( younger brother?) to hold the bike upright for a few minutes and you will be ok.
Just be careful when taking out the bolt holding the footpeng AND sidestand in - the bike will try to fall over if you don't hold it. Just put the bolt back in temporarily without the footpeg and it will hold it.

The pegs will look great polished!

Anne x

Hi Anne, Yep you gave me the manual as well, ok I'll try it that way then it sounds easy enough!

Hopefully it should look good, i'll post up some pictures once I've got round to doing it :woot:

gremlin
07-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Could anodise them, mine were done black and look lovely and don't need polishing or anything else! Just a quick rinse and they're pukka.