PDA

View Full Version : OK Who Stole Summer?

gremlin
03-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Who's whipped it, for days it's been lovely and sunny and warm, ok the garden was getting parched but my bees were happily buzzing around along with butterflies and it was all hunky dory, get up this morning and it's a howling gale, freezing cold and sideways rain:scratch: My lights are flashing like a ruddy disco, all the cats are in under my feet and my poor little chicks which hatched way too late are shivering. I got oil on tuesday and it's so tempting to light the Rayburn cos it's so cold but I think I'll put the woodburner in instead so the oil lasts till after Christmas! Clive's turning into a proper biker and taken Fuzzy to work again instead of the nice warm dry Landy, muppet!:fou:

Dave G
03-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Pfff!
Its been like that for months up here.

LouSCannon
03-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Likewise it's been simply awful weather here for weeks now. Might get the odd nice morning to lure you out only to have it tip down hours later.

Not happy.

Albie
03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Same down here in the south east Sarah. Blowing a gale and put me off my cycle ride to see mum. Drove instead. At least dont have to water plants last 2 days as chucked it down. know what you mean about heating. Extra layer on instead.

Better be better in 2 weeks time or will be right fed up.

gremlin
03-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I've left my plants to get a bit singed so they're probably quite relieved. It's just how it's gone from warm and dry to winter without any in between bit that bugs me. It's sort of bikini to thermals in 24 hours. You'll probably feel the cold in your shoulder Albie it always seems to go for breaks or damage. I hate winter I just ache from head to foot.

Paivi
03-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Sorry, it was me. In early July, I bought a parasol for my south-facing balcony, and it's been raining ever since. Honestly, I haven't even had a chance to open the bloody thing yet!

Albie
03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Sorry, it was me. In early July, I bought a parasol for my south-facing balcony, and it's been raining ever since. Honestly, I haven't even had a chance to open the bloody thing yet!

Oh great thanks for that. At least you owned up. Heyyyy everybody it was Paivi :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Paivi
03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I'll see if my jinxing abilities work for snow, too. I'll be putting a snowboard on my balcony over the winter...

With hindsight, maybe I should have put a water butt there to collect the summer rain. Probably would have stayed dry.

NewMon
03-09-2009, 11:19 AM
It's been fine all summer here. If it did rain, it soon dried up. Any wind has been generally warm. Everything has been growing well. I've done about 3K miles 'for fun' this year. Only downer is that the bike has started leaking oil from the rear cylinder again - last did it about 7K miles ago.

Scootaboy
03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
likewise its been fine down here for the most part, yes you get the odd bad day and yes it hasn't been sunny all the time...but even though I commute for around 90 minutes every day I've been caught in rain I think 2 or 3 times since may, so maybe just lucky :)

J.P
03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
It could be worst. It could have been like the summer of 2007..... :(

scrapps
03-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Nobody stole the summer this is a british summer !

Yorkie
03-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Its still warmer than im used to in Yorkshire! Cold!!!! You dont know what cold is!!!! No need for heating jumpers and duvets will do! (Only when the ice forms on the insides of the windows!!!!)

Yorkie

Albie
03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I hate central heating. Only had that luxury for the last 4 years. My mother never had it on hardly and my old terrace had a gas fire but it was never that cold.

Its nice and sunny now here, Haven't got a helmet until saturday so cant ride.

Paivi
03-09-2009, 01:35 PM
You dont know what cold is!!!!
Allow me to laugh. We invented cold. :D

gremlin
03-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Has warmed up a bit but it's still blowing a hooley, just been up to the workshop and had a ride in the sidecar:woot::woot:. Only up to the end of the industrial estate, I felt like Boudicea in her chariot, wind blowing through my hair I can see why Clives hooked, although we were going really slowly because of potholes and gravel.
I don't mind proper cold if wrapped up nice and snug, it's just that damp in your bones type cold that makes everything ache. We didn't have central heating when I was a kid and ice used to form on the inside of the windows but I seemed to cope with it then, must be getting old and thin skinned and I've done so much damage one way or another and it just makes everything sieze up. Now it's nice warm fire in the lounge, woodburner in the dining room and Rayburn in the kitchen when it's proper cold. Tonight it'll just be the woodburner I think, then at least the house will still be warm in the morning.

scrapps
03-09-2009, 02:02 PM
What your putting heating on Gremlin ! its not that cold yet just get a jumper out the draw ? my heating will not be on for weeks or months yet...(cos i am tight and don't want to pay fuel bills)
or cuddle up to your fella for some warmth.:idea:

gremlin
03-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I've got jumper on! His nibs won't be home till silly o'clock no doubt, it was 4.30am the night before last so I'll only have a cat to cuddle. I'm really struggling to keep warm, I was in jumpers when it was warm weather, think I need to get my thermostat checked out it's really not working! At least the woodburner is free to run, my neighbour give me wood bless him. At this rate I'll be breaking out the honeymoon knitted Swaledale wool jumper in the not too distant future. That's really thick and warm.

uksurfer
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
must admit, i had a coat on for the first time this morning, half five, pitch black, blowing a hoolie, lovely :thumbsdown:

Albie
03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
must admit, i had a coat on for the first time this morning, half five, pitch black, blowing a hoolie, lovely :thumbsdown:

Ya southern softie :gay::gay::D:D :running::running:

Yorkie
03-09-2009, 05:16 PM
We invented cold.

You may have! However we perfected it!

Yorkie.

Paivi
03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
You may have! However we perfected it!
So, what do you call cold? Mine starts at around -30C; anything warmer than that is just a bit nippy. +10C is practically tropical, and +25C is unbearably hot.

uksurfer
03-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Ya southern softie :gay::gay::D:D :running::running:

i guess its always warmer in the smoke, all those buses and cars racing round with there exhausts, i guess the smog keeps the warmth in :chuckle:

gremlin
03-09-2009, 06:09 PM
There's not a lot between Norfolk and the Arctic, it sticks out and gets all the cold wind. I'm a wimp and I admit it, I just really feel the cold, I'm ok if I can wear thermals etc but at this time of year it does seem a bit extreme! You do notice the difference in temperature going from the city to the sticks, there's usually a three or four degree drop sometimes more. My car has an outside temperature thingy so you can see the change as you get further out.

Yorkie
03-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Mine starts at around -30C

Happily that is about as cold as i have ever been (weather not me)! But i can go from that to +45C in a few months! Dont you just hate travel!

Yorkie.

He11cat
03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I have experienced the cold of Yorkshire...lol.... in many ways....

cold , no summer...go to Finland!
But I love the cold of Finland!!.....the air is so good!!
I keep threatening to sit in Helsinki airport with free to good home on me....
The cold is a nice cold.. and sauna ! hmmmmm bliss!!.. sauna and vodka!..and hours insulting each other... take me back to Finland!! ...sigh..

gremlin
03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
It's a different sort of cold, Arctic cold is dry the cold round here is damp and horrible. Well the woodburner's in, himself came home early for a change so it's dinner, nice hot bath and and I'll be all toasty.

chris yeatman
03-09-2009, 07:04 PM

i was still asleep then :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

He11cat
03-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Artic cold is very dry...... but I like it...lol...its lovely!! I can breathe so well in it....

here the damp just soaks into your bones...and its yuk

East Anglia is cold and damp... and no snow which I get techie about..

Last time we had a good fall here I skipped down the middle of the road in my Pj,s whooping for joy as I wanted to put my footprints in it!!.. it was lovely..and got caught but I don't care.....

Paivi
03-09-2009, 08:02 PM
You from Finland, He11cat? Or otherwise a lover of the arctic climate?

Nickj
03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
So, what do you call cold? Mine starts at around -30C; anything warmer than that is just a bit nippy. +10C is practically tropical, and +25C is unbearably hot.

I'm happy riding down to about -15C gets a bit too much after that, LOL I remember looking over salt marsh edges and a tidal channel I was mildly suprised to see lots of ice.

It was good enough today to shift a ton or so of concrete blocks (by hand) 150 9" blocks, 200 bricks .. I'll shift the sand and ballast tomorrow, then dig out about 3 cubic metres of soil. A little bit of fine rain would go down nicely.

Now when I was a boy summers were long and warm, and winter saw those pretty fern patterns on the insides of the windows

He11cat
03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Lover of the climate....the people and the beer and vodka!!!!...and long drinks
and token Finn at heart... I can do the insults and the sauna!! ...
I get off the plane and its like ... good to be back... and like kind of home.. Il gulp down the Artic air!!

Im getting restless lol... and know that it will be so stunning in the next few weeks with the birch leaves and evergreens in contrast... sigh... the snap in the air will be coming... and the berries ready.
so I feel sad.. although you have to be careful with hunters soon.. specially as I look like a Elk..

East Anglia.. :( .... hmmmmmmph.... pah!

LVC
03-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Stuff cold - I moved to France to avoid most of the worst :mand:

Nice and sunny again today - we hit 38 degrees the other week (reminded me of my time in Saudi) :fiery:

He11cat
03-09-2009, 08:36 PM
im an ice maiden.... laying on the beach yawn... hot .... grrrr...

catching snow flakes on your tongue ..and crisp ice blue skies.... thats me..

I also hate our grey damp winter and spring time.... damp and wet..

warm weather is nice.. but hot no... and I am so pale skinned I blister in the sun!!

I will try and enjoy the last days of summer.. thats ok... but always run into the snow with a huge grin

gremlin
03-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm a hot weather person, I was the only one who could stand doing the sand benches at work. They were 20' long 4' wide and four inches deep with sand. The glasshouses were shut down so the vents wouldn't open and the sand had to be dug out and barrowed out and fresh put in, it was like working in a sauna and I was as happy as anything in it. Everyone else melted and I didn't even glow and it was in the 80s at least with the sun beating down, bliss!

gary tompkins
03-09-2009, 11:17 PM
Summer in Iceland was nice

10 days of Clean air, never ending sunsets, waterfalls, lakes full of icebergs and puffins :cool:

I like good weather but can't handle really hot spells in UK

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2674/3885009149_3ce1f5b817.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2426/3885825030_94234f695c.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3531/3885009315_e5a8ee73a8.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2658/3885805332_3f6a23c5ce.jpg

He11cat
03-09-2009, 11:48 PM
stunning....

one place I have always wanted to visit... have not been to Norway yet either...

Humidity is what floors me... dry heat not as bad... dry sauna heat yumyum!!.. blissful .. specially after cold bike ride .. sauna puts the heat right into your poor damp bones...and I will lay in a sauna for ages basking..

but UK humid heat... terrible... and damp winters / spring... ouch and owwww.. not good.
years of riding a bike rain or snow fecked my knees up and I have trouble first thing moving about sometimes..

LouSCannon
04-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Another vote for Iceland here... loved it to bits, almost never came home...

Whale steak mmmmmm

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2625/76/73/681216614/n681216614_2176738_1575277.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2625/76/73/681216614/n681216614_2176707_3915433.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2625/76/73/681216614/n681216614_2176734_2306136.jpg

Grumpy
04-09-2009, 09:59 PM
I've been walking around in teeshirt and shorts for the last 5 months, and find the windy wet weather rather invigorating(although I walk around in a teeshirt all year round!!:mand:)
Came home from work on tuesday to find the missus rapped in a blanket, with the cental heating on complaining of the cold!!:chuckle:

He11cat
04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
lol thats me..... artic air t shirt ..

East Anglia ... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!......

I sleep with a heat pad cranked up .. 2 duvets and a fluffy blanket....lol.... i look like ET in his blanket!!!

Oh and on the bike stripy pink passion killer long johns!! ...i hope I don't ever need an ambulance..
ohhh the shame.... still beats the white ones with an arse flap does'nt it lol!! (i most certainly did have a pair back in the day)... with baggy button fly..... Also had army surplus ones!!
I also got caught running across a rally campsite in pink tiger striped PJ's.... trying not to get seen...
I got cold....

cheeky gits said we took no notice as thought it was your normal get up!!!... close but no cigar..