PDA

View Full Version : City riding

bex
31-08-2009, 05:31 PM
So I'm fresh off the motorway after spending a fantastic weekend blasting around Welsh roads with no drama (of the bad sort)... and am riding home along the outside of Regents Park (actually less than speed limit since there's ppl walking out all over the show), when some parked moron pulls out of the space and into my path. After the riding I did all weekend I'm pootling through London and nearly get taken out by some idiot who's never heard of blind spot, oh the irony.

I slam on the brakes, have a good wobble and when I've retrieved my dignity give him a good blare of the horn given that he's wound up about 1 metre in front of my wheel. He's proceeds to give me the finger as if its my fault, at which point I obviously show him mine in return - to this he clearly wasn't impressed so decided to slam on his brakes ensuring that I almost go through his back window for a second time in 10 seconds.

Ok accidents happen and people make mistakes and I'll always put my hand up and apologise if I'm in the wrong - why is it some people cant accept they mucked up? And then to try and actually make me crash - I mean stupid or what?! I could actually see him smirking in the mirror.

Dont they say more accidents happen on open roads or something? I'm sick of riding around the city being treated like I'm expendible to car drivers if it means they get where they're going 30 seconds sooner!

What a complete pillock?! :Furious:

And rant over.

Albie
31-08-2009, 05:37 PM
understand your rant but it makes no difference to non bikers. Tw4ts a huge proportion of them. Cup of tea and a good calm down. Then tomorrow you can do the same again

bex
31-08-2009, 05:40 PM
True true! I know this stuff happens all the time, I think it just made me extra angry when he actually did it on purpose!

Oh well, after that and a major gravel skid in Wales which was scary but fun, I think I'm getting used to my monnie handling and coming through with a smile on! :)

Yorkie
31-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Knee out as you go past in heavy traffic and clip the mirror and shoot off into the distance!

Only kidding!!!

Albie is right in a hippy sort of way, chill out and have a brew!

Yorkie.

bex
31-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Ok chilled. Just miffed.

I'm also just sore because I've had enough of people in the city, too much cheek! - went to drive home from work the other day and discovered a load of teenagers sitting on everyones bikes and scooters where I park. On my ride home I then discovered a dent on my previously unmarked tank, now that sucks.

Yorkie
31-08-2009, 06:07 PM
a load of teenagers sitting on everyones bikes and scooters

That would push me over the edge!!

Yorkie.

LouSCannon
31-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Amazing how easily you can catch wing mirrors with an armoured motorbike glove... Sometimes you might not even feel it.

Nickj
31-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Knee out as you go past in heavy traffic and clip the mirror and shoot off into the distance!

Only kidding!!!

A pegaso I has was fitted with ally bark busters, hit a tree and it bounces off hand protectors. That in theory would have worked pretty well with mirrors, not that I'd have had any experience with that kind of thing ^i^ :look: I'm very laid back .... usually

You're on a bike on your own... therefore it's your fault regardless, an individual car always has right of way and precedence unless visibly outnumbered when caution tends to be the better part of valour.

Scootaboy
31-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Accidently smash his mirror while passing in traffic, assuming u can get away easy enough would obviously be wrong.

Nah bollox just do it, he tried to murder you thus anything goes!!!!

chris yeatman
31-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Amazing how easily you can catch wing mirrors with an armoured motorbike glove... Sometimes you might not even feel it.

yeah same as, i think he needs his mirrors broken :thumbsup:

Yorkie
31-08-2009, 08:13 PM
yeah same as, i think he needs his mirrors broken

Obviously doesn't use them anyway!

Yorkie.

Liz
31-08-2009, 08:16 PM
I got caught out (many years ago - like alot!) by someone who pulled straight out of a parking space into my path in Surbiton (only on my TS100 but all the same). I was doing 30, he pulled out after having been in the pub, I went over the handlebars (v light bike), onto the bonnet of the car and onto the road - he drove off! Bike in road, me in road - sorry but wouldn't you notice? Fortunately lots of witnesses so did eventually get insurance payout. Most people just don't look - I personally think that everyone should be made to ride a bike before they drive a car (I did), it just makes you so much more aware.

skank
31-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I kicked enough wing mirrors while commuting across zone 1 london and having to deal with morons in cars I eventually gave up commuting. that fool in regents park would have had no mirrors.

kneedown
31-08-2009, 08:22 PM
:scratch:that is very true ;but i like many got caught out a few years ago now '
hit the car bit hard 6 months off work 'the guy did phone up next day to say sorry mind:scratch:

Ginger
31-08-2009, 08:26 PM
There's a name for people like him (the car driver). It's four letters and starts with a C ;)

Liz
31-08-2009, 08:55 PM
There's a name for people like him (the car driver). It's four letters and starts with a C ;)

Or T (also 4 letters)!

gremlin
31-08-2009, 10:10 PM
We had an old duffer do a U turn in front of us yesterday, just didn't look, don't know how Clive didn't hit him Fuzzy was sqirming all over the road and I got out of the pillion seat quite a way! He was totally oblivious just turned in a junction and pulled straight out without looking and then crawled along at 25mph he so nearly got a boot in the door on the way past.

PDL
31-08-2009, 10:17 PM

Is that Carl?

Liz
31-08-2009, 10:17 PM
We had an old duffer do a U turn in front of us yesterday, just didn't look, don't know how Clive didn't hit him Fuzzy was sqirming all over the road and I got out of the pillion seat quite a way! He was totally oblivious just turned in a junction and pulled straight out without looking and then crawled along at 25mph he so nearly got a boot in the door on the way past.

Was he wearing a cap/hat cos they're the worst ones!!

Arbeia
31-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I would of overtook him and kicked a nice dent in his door!

He11cat
01-09-2009, 12:55 AM
I was adopted by some London dispatch riders in my early teens .. got a lift home across London many weekend.. was trained to semi hide number plate and boot the side of the car as we went past!... a few mirrors went as well... i used to love whizzing through London.

I had some moron white van man reverse into my GSX and drag us over and along.. somebody thumped the van so he reversed a bit so somehow we unhooked and he drove off.. !! I was to busy trying to not mangle my leg to take reg notes.. nice bit of damage done to my bike that day and a swollen ankle and grazed leg..

unsympathetic boss at the time and i got lumped with a nice repair bill for my bike..:mad:

MON
01-09-2009, 06:18 AM
I was coming back from Ma Larkins on Sunday and was just leaving Banbury when a red Saxo with a young lad in his 20's driving (alone) came past on the dual carriageway sounding his horn.

I never really thought anything of it until I got to the junction near the M40 (3 lanes) when I get near him, when he decides to start honking his horn again and weaving all over his lane as I look to filter past him. He got so enthusiatic at one point, even the cars near him were starting to move out of his way as he was in danger of colliding with them. It took a LOT of restraint not to retaliate, but what's the point?

He never looked at me once, nor did he make any obscene gestures towards me, but what a tw:cens:t :fou:

Obviously not a fan...

Liz
01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I was coming back from Ma Larkins on Sunday and was just leaving Banbury when a red Saxo with a young lad in his 20's driving (alone) came past on the dual carriageway sounding his horn.

I never really thought anything of it until I got to the junction near the M40 (3 lanes) when I get near him, when he decides to start honking his horn again and weaving all over his lane as I look to filter past him. He got so enthusiatic at one point, even the cars near him were starting to move out of his way as he was in danger of colliding with them. It took a LOT of restraint not to retaliate, but what's the point?

He never looked at me once, nor did he make any obscene gestures towards me, but what a tw:cens:t :fou:

Obviously not a fan...

If I ever found out my boys (both drive - 18 & 21) did anything like that to a bike rider I'd bloody whack them so hard and they're both over 6ft tall and I'm not!