PDA

View Full Version : Tyres for M600

He11cat
24-08-2009, 07:36 AM
I currently have just legal Metzeler Sportecs on mine.
They need replacing.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have always had bikes with Avon's or Bridgestones on.

Also I tend to square tyres off quickly as I do a lot of M way riding and town work, not many twisty corners.

With winter coming I need something with grip but not so soft it squares off stupidly fast.

For a tyre thats in pretty lame shape the Metzeler actually felt ok..
If it had been an Avon in that shape my back end would be like an icerink.

Ducmon
24-08-2009, 08:53 AM
I am using Avon storms on my m600 which I have found do not square of with town and autobahn riding to quickly. They also grip very well in the wet.

Yorkie
24-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Some reviews here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-accessories/2007/bridgestone-tires.htm

Dual compound tyres may be for you.

Yorkie.

Scootaboy
24-08-2009, 09:32 AM
michelin pilot power 2cts - dual compound tyre that a lot of people use on here for commuting that should be perfect for you.

I went from bridgestones recently to these and I really love the grip. The fact that they are dual compound means they shouldn't square off like other tires

He11cat
24-08-2009, 10:03 AM
I tend to run duel compounds on my other bike.

but the place I use seem to be very lone brand orientated....to a brand I don't like.

il try elsewhere this time....

I need something with a lot of grip as the roads are not great .. but If im doing a 400mile ride i don't want to ruin one tyre in one trip.
My last Avons squared off at a stupid rate and the ride felt terrible...
And I want a nice fat tyre.

Sorry to sound stupid asking.. but first Monster and I want to get it set up well .. not my first bike mind. Thanks il take a gander at that link :)

Nickj
24-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Before my last 750 had a nasty incident with a bit of tie lorry tie down getting hooked in rear wheel and chain (Like Jerry a chain letting loose at 100ish is messy) I had put on some Maxxis touring 6029F's. Maxxis used to be a bit iffy but they've upped their bike tyres massively.

Reviews rate the sport version as feeling like Pirellis's, the track times on the same bike come in a bit slower, all of about .3 sec per lap. Overall they came out really well.
Linky to Maxxis UK (http://www.maxxis.co.uk/Catalog/CategoryInfo.aspx?cid=62&sort=Name&itemsperpage=12&view=List&currentpage=0)
I only got to use them in wet & frosty weather but they were working well and had a fair bit of chicken strip left, I was just waiting for it to dry up a bit before exploring the edges more. They felt nice and predictable, progressive roll into corners and straight line stability, good warm up time. Also minimal twitches over white lines, they seem to be big thick suckers on my usual commute, Contis used to twitch all over them in the dry and skitter a bit in the wet. The Maxxis's let you know they were there but no twitches. The local roads often resemble stream beds in the rain, so wet weather grip I can vouch for.
The advantage is that you can get a whole pair for about £120 + delivery (http://www.dkmotorcycles.com/?section=shop&product=supermaxx_touring_sets), which is less than I'd pay probably to replace my knackered Sportech M1 rear.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and ordering a pair later today.

CK & AK
24-08-2009, 01:42 PM
You'll not go wrong with Pirelli Diablo's - they are used by the DD lads & lasses on their race 600's & 620's - or try the Diablo Rosso's - both good all round tyres in whatever the weather & pretty durable too :)

CK

animaluk
24-08-2009, 03:26 PM
2cts there the best

Nickj
24-08-2009, 08:35 PM
LOL See He11cat, ask a dozen people about tyres and you'll get at least thirteen or more choices. Not really suprising as they'll all ride differently and want or like different characteristics in a tyre.

Whats actually best is what you get on with and fits the bike you have, the way your bikes set up, how you ride and the roads you ride on.
The only way you can really tell whats good for you is by trying them on your bike.

You pay your money and take your chances.

He11cat
24-08-2009, 11:22 PM
I used to swear by Avon for a few years...til 2 years ago... (Roadrunners)
My other bike ran shockingly on Avons and I changed them before they even wore out.

I have to run a battleaxe on my homemarket Jap bike as it won't run anything else... odd thing. It feels pretty good I have to say.

But when I tried Bt's on other bikes eeeeeeuch.. I didnt like one bit ... so just shows you slap the same tyre on different bikes and its a whole new ride from bike to bike.

Monster would be my 11th naked bike...
Thanks for advise I will toddle off to tyre chap and have a look... its nice to have a big fat tyre I have to say :chuckle:

chris.p
25-08-2009, 09:18 AM
You'll not go wrong with Pirelli Diablo's - they are used by the DD lads & lasses on their race 600's & 620's - or try the Diablo Rosso's - both good all round tyres in whatever the weather & pretty durable too :)

CK

Spot on Charlotte, was what I was going to say, I also use standard Diablo's on my 748r, I am no slouch and have no problems with them, good tyre life, good grip WET and dry.
Also there are plenty of scrubs that the top DD lads are selling off at cheap prices for you to try, there will be no problems using scrubs on your road bike as the DD boys that run at the sharp end only use them for a couple of races so very little wear and road grip is not compramised.

Chris.

He11cat
25-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks I never even thought of that...
I hope I have some lolly left over from repairs to sort out other annoying things like dent in its tank due to some twit not taking care of its stand problem
I hate having a bike with a dent in it... especially a Monster as looks like I do not care for it.
basics first ... then il start on the rest.
Thanks!! :D

Nickj
25-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Out of interest most of the Japanese OEM tyres are now made in China by Chen Shin, clever buggers have nicked the knowledge of design, construction and compounds to make their own brand tyres. They also make some of the manufacturers race tyres. This has meant they've gone from appaling to very good very quickly but the attitudes to the old names hung on.
Thats why they are using the Maxxis, and a new one CST, brand names both use pretty much the same modern carcass techology and high silica compounds as the jap OEMs and most other tyres these days, they are just are massively cheaper.
My Maxxis tyres will be available for kicking, poking and prodding at Ma Larkins this coming Sunday, well assuming I wake up in time LOL

Tyres I wouldn't want on a monster ...
Contis .. they always felt way too skittish, changed the suspsnsion settings, tyre pressures but never felt happy on them. They used to just slide off of white lines with a deeply unsettling lurch and were quite slow into corners.

Albie
25-08-2009, 12:12 PM
My Monster 1100s runs Battleaxe and so far have been fine in 250 in wet trip. Always ran Pirelli corsa II or III's on s4 and they were great.

Liz
25-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I've just ordered a pair of Pirelli Diablos - £153.09 for the pair including delivery.

Nickj
26-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I've just ordered a pair of Pirelli Diablos - £153.09 for the pair including delivery.

Mine fetched up today ... plus the span adjustable clutch lever, some new front & rear stands and for those grubby chain moments one of those gizmos that lets you spin the wheel round.
Shame it's raining or I'd get out for a blast around the forest.. Still might anyway :)

Nickj
26-08-2009, 01:18 PM
http://www.friendsofcourselab.info/downloads/tyres.jpg

mmmmmmm just love soft warm rubber ;)

He11cat
26-08-2009, 01:59 PM
OHH i just waved goodbye to my 90's Continentals... .. on a bike I just sold lol.

I am still wobbly as I had a few years break due to a silly off... not serious but could have been nasty.
Mainly due to lethal conti's which didn't do wet or road markings..
Person I lived with at time put foot down... I had no choice in matter... circumstances..had no argument to fight back with. keys handed over.

as soon as we split I got a bike again but even after 2 years now Im wobbly and lack confidence.
Il buy a good set of tyres.. the beefy ones feel so much better.
So silly I used to ride every day for 7 years . Now im like a learner again.

I will get a good new set. they look nice..

Nickj
26-08-2009, 02:57 PM
You picked a pretty god bike for it then He11i, overall the monsters are pretty lazy beasts as standard and very stable. You've probably noticed already they sort of get to a corner and say uhhh well OK rather than leap into them. But you can just keep pushing them and any they don't loose any composure at all.
Monsters do love a smooth riding style, much more than jap bikes. Once you get your head round that then it will improve your riding as you'll be more deliberate and precise into corners. You won't be 'fast' but you'll be quicker overall without putting much effort into it.
Learn the bike, it's worth the effort and really rewarding.
Ask anyone here and they'll pretty much all say they get on and off their bike with a smile everytime.

Liz
26-08-2009, 11:30 PM
http://www.friendsofcourselab.info/downloads/tyres.jpg

mmmmmmm just love soft warm rubber ;)

Oooooh, they look nice!! Have ordered Pirelli Diablos - love the name! Wicked!! ;)

Liz
27-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Took delivery of a couple of Diablos today - mmmmmmm!

He11cat
28-08-2009, 12:40 AM
get bike tomorrow..
was told oh don't worry monsters have bad back brakes!! ..lol noticed mine was dire!! but think it was worn. Theres bad and there's worn.
Also funny riding so upright.. My katana.. I lay on him and literally steer him with my whole body.
For the first time in my life I felt tall on the monster... but now he has been hacked!!!!
Been lowered... on the swing arm shock mount's.... as long as I can get one foot down !!!
hope not too altered.