PDA

View Full Version : Where's me oil gone?

BluprintZ
19-08-2009, 05:34 PM
A mate pointed out to me the other day, just as we were ready to go for a jaunt around the mountains of North Wales, that the oil level on me bike was looking worryingly low.
New oil and filter was done the day before the weekender, after the re-build, so how has the oil level got so low in roughly three months?
The plugs are fine, a dark brown colour, so it's deffo not burning oil and there are no leaks anywhere on the engine or ancillaries, such as the oil cooler etc.
So, any suggestions as to where the oil has gone please.

G : )

slob
19-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Crankcase>Breather>Airbox?

Pomp1
19-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Is in the air now, you insensible polluter;)! I'm calling Greenpeace!

BluprintZ
19-08-2009, 06:15 PM
The crankcase breather is fastened to the side of the frame and ends just before the numberplate, the Dyno man put it there.
There's no oil in there or any mist coming from it, v strange!

Sorry for polluting. :rolleyes:

LouSCannon
19-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Keep it up George, could do with a nicer summer next year!

Big Daft Lad
19-08-2009, 07:06 PM
If I top my 600 up near the max on the sight glass it spits it out all over the place. Once it's found it's own level (not much above min) it never uses any oil! Maybe your's it like that?

BluprintZ
19-08-2009, 07:28 PM
If I top my 600 up near the max on the sight glass it spits it out all over the place. Once it's found it's own level (not much above min) it never uses any oil! Maybe your's it like that?

I deffo remember only filling to between the min/max lines, although if it was spitting it out, there are no signs to show that it was!
Dunno, maybe i'm being over cautious but last week when i went up to the Ducati day jobbie at Rivvy Barn, i remember doing a quick take-off from a junction and noticed that the oil light flashed on for a split second.
The oil i use is semi-synthetic - 10/50, so it shouldn't really be that thin, that it's sloshing around enough to light the oil warning light, i would have thought.
To me, the oil light coming on, equates to no oil pressure at the crank, so i'm obviously concerned.

Bodybag
19-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Have you checked your rear wheel for signs? May be the crank cases and its running straight out onto the tyre!! :eyepopping:

BluprintZ
19-08-2009, 10:46 PM
No, the rear tyre etc, are fine Phil.
I've been in the workshop a couple of hours ago, just to check again (paranoia) and the engine is as clean as a whistle, under, over, sideways....!!!
My mates `04 750 Sport, has a pool of oil behind the vertical cylinder you wouldn't believe, he seems to have accepted that the castings were probably crap from new, it's been a problem for ages.
If that was the case (sic) with my bike, then ok, you can visibly see where it's going but to have it go down in such a short time is very worrying, especially as this time next week, i'll be on my way to Grimsby for the Belgian GP, then San Marino, then up to Monza...eeek!!!

G : ) :scratch:

gary tompkins
19-08-2009, 11:39 PM
How many miles has it done since last filled?

Some monsters do burn a surprising amount of oil - and Ducati consider this normal

My solo uses almost none between changes, where as trike needs topping off regularly. It's down to build tolerances and how they are run in, and club bikes do vary a lot. Up to 1000 miles per liter is within limits according to factory IIRC?

slob
20-08-2009, 05:00 AM
My mates `04 750 Sport, has a pool of oil behind the vertical cylinder you wouldn't believe, he seems to have accepted that the castings were probably crap from new, it's been a problem for ages.

That's not the castings, the little old lady who puts gobba(tm) on the rear base gasket at the factory doesn't put enough on. Once you've done a rear cylinder rebuild and corrected it it won't happen again.

BluprintZ
20-08-2009, 09:54 AM
GT: Filled it up with new oil and filter the day before the weekender, so possibly around 1,000 miles since then, so maybe i'm being a bit overly concerned eh?

Slob: Maybe my mate is just being a lazy sod then? LOL.

Cheers all.

G : ) :thumbsup:

giler
20-08-2009, 10:55 AM
That's not the castings, the little old lady who puts gobba(tm) on the rear base gasket at the factory doesn't put enough on. Once you've done a rear cylinder rebuild and corrected it it won't happen again.

Why does a little old lady spit on the rear base gasket - for luck:confused:

uksurfer
20-08-2009, 04:34 PM
did you remember to put the filler cap back on?? :chuckle:

Starter Sprag
20-08-2009, 07:08 PM
After the oil and filter change, did you run the engine for a short while, then let it settle, THEN check the oil level again ?

The oil filter can drop the level, until it is full

BluprintZ
20-08-2009, 09:29 PM
After the oil and filter change, did you run the engine for a short while, then let it settle, THEN check the oil level again ?

The oil filter can drop the level, until it is full

Yeah, did all that Sprag, believe it or not, i'm a time served motor engineer, although i've never seen oil do such a good disappearing act. LOL.

Martin: You need a kick up the arse you cheeky sod, waddya think i am...an amateur?
How you doin' mate?

G : ) :p

Nickj
20-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Have you considered the possibility that someone is sneaking in and sucking your oil out at night?
It might be a jap bike rider desperately trying to inject some character into his bike by adding Ducati essence infused oil.

Don't laugh it might be happening!!

BluprintZ
20-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Right that does it...i shall now sulk, probably for quite a while...or until i get bored of sulking!

G : ) :p

uksurfer
20-08-2009, 10:27 PM
while your sulking, pop in the garage and have a look for your filler plug.....:mand::mand:

have you checked your right boot, any oil on there???:mand:

Nickj
20-08-2009, 10:36 PM
While your there look out for anyone with a tube and jam jar

BluprintZ
20-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Pedro...they are picking on me because i'm simple!!!

Oil be off then....:running: