PDA

View Full Version : Garmin customer service +++

yellowfever
19-08-2009, 07:50 AM
I've posted before about my Garmin Zumo 550 GPS which I've previously described as 'great when it works'. I am on my third unit the previous two having been replaced under warranty after dying on me. Annoyingly this third one also died recently during rainy tour of France, meaning the 550 zumo had never actually got me all the way through a bike tour. Pretty annoying for something supposedly waterproof and vibration proof and specially made for motorbikes with £500 price tag to match....

Even more annoying as I'd just signed up at £100 cost to map updates for the life of the unit - which promptly died and is of course now out of warranty.

Sent a snotty letter (again) to Garmins complaint department with copies of my previous letters of woe and the zumo 550 and cradle for them to repair in all honesty not expecting much as most places these days seem not to give two ****s about their customers.

Posted it to them on Saturday and on Monday got an e-mail saying they'd received it and in view of the problems I'd had how did I feel about them sending me the new model zumo 660 for free by courier asap? After I'd got over the shock (and I'd also confirmed they'd transfer the map updates subscription to the 660!) I was happy to say yes to this and it arrived two days later!

New unit is even better than old one with extra features and quicker routing and they have also redesigned the cradle which should hopefully make it more reliable (2 of the failures I'd had were due to water ingress into the cradle which stupidly had a few sensitive bits of electrics in it and seals which did not work well enough). Only downside is the new cradle design has an integral power cable so I had to remove old cabling and plumb new one in rather than simply plug it in, but not so hard to do.

Anyway sorry for long tale, but nice to see a company that for once believes in customer service. Just goes to show it can be worth a try writing to companies when you have problems. Well done Garmin for restoring my faith in them, fingers crossed the 660 proves reliable, very happy with it so far.

SlowLearner
19-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I too had problems with a Garmin unit, not on motorbike but on a Yacht.

Here too Garmin replaced the faulty kit without quibble.

Thunbsup to Garmin !

desmo
19-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I have a Garmin Zumo 400 & have to say I am sort of happy with it.
It doesn't had blue tooth like the 550 or 660 & initially this was a bit of a pain, but after a while the constant noise in my ear from the directions & camera warnings got on my nerves, so now I use it a visual prompt only & find it much better that way.
The function in Google maps is really cool though & enables me to create my own customised routes on roads I want to ride.

All that said though, when it does go wrong, I won't bother with another bike specific sat nav, I will just buy a Garmin car one to use in the car & on the bike.
I have thought about getting some see through plastic sheets from B&Q & making up a waterproof case for a car sat nav to use on the bike.

uksurfer
19-08-2009, 04:44 PM
maybe one of those waterproof camera cases would do the job? :scratch:

Bodybag
19-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I have a Garmin Zumo 400 & have to say I am sort of happy with it.
It doesn't had blue tooth like the 550 or 660 & initially this was a bit of a pain, but after a while the constant noise in my ear from the directions & camera warnings got on my nerves, so now I use it a visual prompt only & find it much better that way.
The function in Google maps is really cool though & enables me to create my own customised routes on roads I want to ride.

All that said though, when it does go wrong, I won't bother with another bike specific sat nav, I will just buy a Garmin car one to use in the car & on the bike.
I have thought about getting some see through plastic sheets from B&Q & making up a waterproof case for a car sat nav to use on the bike.

If you buy the right Oxford Tank bag, it has a zip off flat panel on the bottom (for maps) but it can be used on its own strapped to the tank. It is a large clear plastic cover and you can zip a tank bag straight on top of it. This too has a large clear panel on the top. They're both ideal for carrying a satnav in.

Hope this helps.

He11cat
25-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I brought a GIVI universal GPS holder for bikes....
A water proof satnag bag that velcros to your bars. Also comes with a waterproof rainhood..
In theory shove any nav car or bike in it.....
Top idea I thought...

Its rubbish... I have a Tom Tom rider (but I have one cradle for 3 bikes lol) .. it does not fit in the bag .. you have two elasticated straps that go over the nav to hold it in place .. cept they encroach on the screen so you cant see.
Its so bulky you can't see your speedo...
In the end I had to bungee net it to my rear seat and listen to Kevin the Australian tell me which way to go and hoping it didn't fall off the back..
yep it would be waterproof but at nearly £40 rubbish.... I am going to have to rethink ..give that a miss if it is suggested to you... huge thumbs down!