PDA

View Full Version : S2R 1000 - initial review

steeevvvooo
17-08-2009, 10:48 AM
After a few days with my 2006 S2R 1000, I’ve had a bit of a blast, a long motorway run, and a commute through central London. Initial thoughts are below:

- The clutch is much noisier than I remembered on the M600. (The noise goes away once the clutch lever is pulled in so I don’t think it’s a problem, more the monster character, but on steroids!) I’m sure the neighbours hate it already as it must wake them up while I warm the bike in the morning! :chuckle:

- It doesn’t like to be ridden slow! The heavy (ish) clutch, doesn’t help, but it seems to “pulse” when trying to do a steady 30mph, as though it’s saying “don’t be soft, give me some throttle!”. Seems to want to lurch forward, like I’m holding back a big, angry dog! :nash:

- Motorway work was fine, up to about 80, then the wind blast is too much for me (although I did manage a North-West to Kent run in 4 hours with no problems). I have small mirrors (not sure if they are Rizomo, but they are petite and nicely styled), and they are almost useless! It’s like looking through a magnifying glass.

- It seems like the bike was made for demolishing more free-flowing roads! The grunt is like nothing I’ve ever ridden (in my limited experience), and it just goes like stink, no matter which gear I’m in :cool:

- The whole package feels tight and nicely set up… nice clunk from the gear box, loads of feel from the brakes, decent quality suspension... :thumbsup:

All in all, very happy with it so far. The around town manners will take a little getting used to, but I’ll adapt to that, and the out of town weekend runs will more than make up for it!

slob
17-08-2009, 11:02 AM
The reason the clutch is loud is it's dry.
The 600 has a much heavier cover and the clutch itself sits in a bath of oil, which kills most of the noise.
sticking a 14Tooth front sprocket on will make it friendlier at low speeds, you'll lose a little top speed in exchange for more acceleration too but as you say how long can you hang on to an unfaired bike at 135mph (on an autobahn obviously) anyway

Captain Caveman
17-08-2009, 11:04 AM
looks like it's time to change your forum bike details and signature :D

glad you're enjoying it! :)

Stafford
17-08-2009, 11:08 AM
The M600 would have been a wet clutch, so mucho quieter.

If you're going to be doing more town work change the rear up 2 or down 1 on the front sprocket to make things a little smoother (if that's possible)

I have similar mirrors, practically useless. :chuckle:

Probably the best Monster in the world.

J.P
17-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Sounds to me like every bike rewiew I've read from a Monster Newbie, I know you're not one, we'll all found the same problems and benefits, but still just love those bikes.

(A Honda Hornet for round town may have been a better option though... :) )

steeevvvooo
17-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about the sprocket change. I’ve read loads of posts about people changing them, but I was going to wait until I needed a new chain and do it all in one go. I might bring that forward now.

J.P. - know what you mean about the newbie thing. I FEEL like a monster newbie, even though I’ve had one before! It puts a smile on my face which the Thundercat never did. :mand:

Would lover Termis, but have been told they're North of a grand, with the ECU etc! :eek: Have seen a few 2 into 1 systems that bolt on after the cat converter, but it's not quite the same as Carbon Termis... mmmm

Albie
17-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Dont wait for chain and sprockets to wear. How many miles have they done. If chain in good condition change now for around a tenner.

Glad you like your need bike.

You need to come to Kent meet sometime

steeevvvooo
17-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I might do that myself then. I’ll have a look when I get home (still have the Haynes manual for the old 600, so will see how hard it looks). :look: :scratch:

I’ll be trying to make an appearance at the Kent / London meets now. I went down to Oakdene one time, but had exams for work which ate up my free time, so I didn’t get out again before I sold the last monster :hissy:

Capo
17-08-2009, 07:20 PM
You may be suffering from the surging that afflicted some SR2 1000 models. Something to do with the fuelling I belive.

steeevvvooo
17-08-2009, 09:51 PM
You may be suffering from the surging that afflicted some SR2 1000 models. Something to do with the fuelling I belive.

I guess it would be down to fueling if anything. Didnt realise it was a known problem.

I guess it can be cured with a remap and set up session?

Dave G
17-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I dont think its the surging problem thats been talked about on the US forums, thats a fuelling issue I think, yours sounds like a typical twin being ridden too low down in the rev range causing it to be lumpy and seem to lug and lurch at lower speeds.
A 14 tooth front sprocket will cure that, in the meantime if you use a lower gear and a higher rpm than would feel normal then it probably be as smooth as you'd expect.

My SC has the same motor and its also sensitive to really quite small throttle inputs meaning if your weight is on the bar(like on my SC ) or your arms are stiff any small bumps are transmitted through the throttle and may appear as little jumps forward on the road. It can be disconcerting until you realise what it is, all you do to cure this is to relax you arms, still catches me out when I'm tired though.

steeevvvooo
17-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Having now read a few posts, I'll give it a little while before I decide if I need the ECU/Termis etc (although I have been wanting Termis and might be able to justify it if they solve a "problem" :D)

It hasn't stalled yet, like others have said, and the exhaust system is completely standard

I do get the "pulsing" when in lower gears, and it seems to be between 3 and 5k on constant throttle (noticed it doing 30mph through speed cameras today) :thumbsdown:

I haven't found a flat spot, or any problems on acceleration, so if it is fuelling, it doesn't seem as severe as others have mentioned :scratch:. A sprocket change would help the snatchiness, I'm sure, but not the pulsing on constant throttle...

yellowfever
19-08-2009, 11:02 AM
I've also got an S2R 1000 2006 model (also coming from an M600 - though I kept the 600 for town commuting as it is a 1995 and value in £'s not much these days, whereas value in sentiment is massive to me - commutes as well as a hornet and has soul :) ...). When i got the S2R I also found it 'hunted' slightly on a steady throttle around 4000rpm if I remember. But this seemed to sort itself over the first year of ownership, so whether this was something I simply got used to and don't notice, or was caused by rider input and went away as I got more relaxed/used to the bike or perhaps was sorted incidentally via updated mapping/tweaking at servicing or just got better with age/use i can't say. May even have been me getting used to different 'feel' of first FI bike after only riding carb fed bikes.

However, this year I did finally have the money for termis/chip/filter and marving de-cat pipe which is all just awesome and fuelling remains as good as ever and noise is just wonderful (baffles out naturally) being just the right side of offensive. Keep meaning to do a detailed post once sorted some piccies not least to thank those who offered helpful advice on options. Hopefully I'll get around to it soon.

So I'd say for the moment just ride/enjoy and get used to the bike as is. Then when you have the cash get termis/chip/filter.... :)

steeevvvooo
19-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Sounds about the same as mine. Feel it pulsing around 4000 revs on steady throttle (which is only ever going past speed cameras! :p). It doesn't worry me really, but will see if it can be fixed next time I take it in. It had a belt service in April by the previous owner, so not due one for a while.

If I was due to take it in, I'd have it looked at, but as long as I keep accellerating, i don't notice it!! :chuckle:

steeevvvooo
07-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Seems like it runs better on super unleaded, with hardly any pulsing/throbbing on steady throttle. :mand:

Would that suggest it’s running lean and the extra Octane is compensating? :dizzy:

Funkatronic
15-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Steevoo
did your pulsing issues diminsh over time? or did you get the DP ECU and forget about the lambda?

i noticed this pulse/surge today on my 1000 while going slow through the rotherhithe tunnel

will try the super unleaded as you suggest but interested to know your and others experience

steeevvvooo
15-10-2010, 08:57 AM
mine has got better, but maybe I've just got used to it? Seems better if I have te baffles in, but have had all possible combinations of DP airbox, normal airbox, baffles, no baffles etc so I honestly find it hard to tell if it's cured, or I just don't notice it anymore!?

I didn't get the DP ECU. I had the de-cat pipe fitted by Rosso Corse, who managed to get it set up without it. I had the guys he used for MOTs say he initially though it was a 4 valve when he took it to his shop for the test as it was smoother than the S2R usually are, and I do have the smaller sprocket which I think helps.

I would like a power commander and a propert dyno set up, but no supplies seems to know which fitment to sell me, so I gave up eventually!

Let me know how you get on…

Gamsa
15-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Pulsing at 30mph in first gear would drive me nuts. Particularly around roundabouts, feeding the clutch in. Are you sure this isn't a fuelling issue? With my carbed monster, I had a similar, although lesser problem at low revs when the carbs were out of sync. But I guess that can't happen with FI? Mine's still lumpy below 2000revs (despite balanced carbs), but that's about 10-15mph in first.

Funkatronic
15-10-2010, 05:27 PM
yeah its a curious one, as you say probably is fuelling & lambda related
done quite a bit of reading of the US forums and it seesm to be a common issue (wish id read up more b4 i bought it ho hum) but no one seesm to have a definitve answer as to the fix but problme is likely the ECU adjusting the fuelling dynamicly

has anyone tried the remove battery drain the capacitors trick to reset the sensor?

it certainly makes the bike harder to ride at city speeds

anyone have any suggestions as to the possible fix or further diagnosis?

thanks
ali

steeevvvooo
15-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Ali, do you have a 14t sprocket on? I honestly can say I don't notice mine (will have to get out on the weekend and check).

I've now got a decat pipe, open airbox with K+N filter, no baffles (sometimes) and have had a service/setup/tweak so maybe it was cured by that?

Funkatronic
15-10-2010, 07:11 PM
thanks steve, yep have a 14t sprocket on there already

gonna take it to Rosso corse and see what Ray and Marcus reckon, lots of the US sites suggest getting setting throttle bodies resynced and air bleed mixture at 3-4K rpm should resolve the issue

Any Powercommander III from an injected 2v Ducati (620, 750, 800, 1000) should phiscially fit as there are dead simple devices really, just sit between the injectors and tap into the TPS. the injector connectors are all the same
(the one on my s2r 800 came off fatbloke's multistrada)

Unfortunately on the S2R1000, without the DP ECU there will be no control of the fueling at under 33% of open throttle due to the lamda sensor, so ultimately thats why Dynojet never released an official version of the PCIII for this bike

Im thinking of trying a DP ECU from an Monster 1000 (which had no lambda) to see if this is a cheap way to get rid of the CAT and get open cans on the bike. Then maybe try dyno tuning with a PCIII to getting running right

Funkatronic
22-10-2010, 05:54 PM
thought you might be interested to know that the higher octaane petrol seemed to fix the surging for me too

steeevvvooo
22-10-2010, 07:58 PM
thought you might be interested to know that the higher octaane petrol seemed to fix the surging for me too

Cool! I don't know of the science behind, but glad it works for us both! :thumbsup:

I've still got some FST pro from when I had the carbbie 600 so might even give that a try as well...