PDA

View Full Version : Caberg Flip up helmet(with Bluetooth)

logyk
14-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Anyone a Caberg user?

Looking for comment on quality , noise , fit ........and if you have bluetooth fittrd how well it works.

Any information gratefully received as I am thinking of going down this route for a long distance touring helmet.

ryanhorton1973
14-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi. I have recently purchased a Caberg Trip Tova (no bluetooth i'm afraid !). I find the helmet very comfortable and the wind noise is comparable to my Ducati Suomy helmet.
Overall I am very happy with it and would recommend them to anyone.

Dookbob
15-08-2009, 10:53 AM
I have the caberg Justissmo GT, nice helmet, scratchproof visor, up and down at the flick of a finger on the internal sun visor, comfortable, washable lining. Dont have the bluetooth kit , but can recommend the helmet.

Mark Taylor
15-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I've had a Justissimo for 3 years(again no bluetooth kit) and I'm chuffed to bits with it, it is a bit heavy due to the flip mechanism, but a great lid - nice in hot weather (if we get any) to ride with flip up & sun visor down.

logyk
15-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Tried the helmets on today.....a bit heavier than my Shoei but I guess that is the price to be paid for the flip up and the ability to have a custom fitting bluetooth kit.

Strangely I liked the cheaper Justissimo than the newer and £50 more expensive Sintesi !

Think I will be diving in before the trip to Belgium.

gremlin
15-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I found the flip one uncomfortable so settled for a V2 instead and it's been brill. The flip down sun visor is a god send, no more fiddling with glasses and then riding in the dark when the sun goes in. It's not that heavy either which is important for me having so much neck damage, the wind noise is fine but if I'm pillion it does squeal like nails on a blackboard, but I don't know if it is the way the wind is deflected off Clive or whether it's just that we're going way faster than I would and it would do it if I was doing silly speeds on my bike. If you can try one out on the bike it would help.

logyk
23-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Thought I would give an update on the Caberg helmet/bluetooth purchase.

I now have a shiny metallic black helmet (oooooooooer missus!) fitted with a bluetooth kit which fits very discretely. The only outward sign is a small console containing two buttons on the LHS. No aerials or bits stuck on as in other kits. All the parts have a slot inside the helmet (the lining is completely removeable.

The helmet has been paired with my Zumo which in turn has been paired with my phone. All tested at home wearing moulded earplugs and the volume level is just fine.Now need on onbike test.

I can play music from the Zumo, whose directional instructions will interrupt the music and make and receive calls from my mobile.

Looking very good value at this point. Will obviously give it a thorough test during the Belgium/Germany trip.

Anyone else using this set up ?

J.P
24-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I used something very similar when I first bought a bluetooth device, an aftermarket one, that had a similar set up and I also connected to the pillion.
I found it all fine, if a little quiet at speed because it's only battery powered. And that was my main gripe actually, battery life. The brochure spoke about 7 hours battery life, but I was always lucky to get to 4 or 5 hours before it started cutting out and running dead. If you are careful to conserve battery power, always turning it off when you stop etc, it should work fine for a day's riding.
Though in the end I changed to a hard-wired set up for better quality and longevity.

Rogerg
25-08-2009, 06:51 AM
I've used the Scala Rider in my AGV TiTech which works very well, however I always struggled to get the speaker pads in the right place which could cause some discomfort. Having said that it was an excellent solution & I could make & receive calls on with the Zumo/ iPhone combination just fine on the Hyper up until about 80MPH but below that the person at the other end could seldom tell you were on bike. The FM radio is guff though & needs constantly retuning.

Sarah never got on with the scala rider though.

Now we're going down the BMW tourer route, we've invested in a couple of BMW System 6 helmets (flip up jobbies & pop down dark visor) - these are superb, light and so comfortable. They do a specific "Bluetooth Communication System" specifically for this lid & takes 1.5 hrs to fit at the dealer!! We've got a couple of these on order.

This solution isn't cheap but we thought bollocks, if we're gonna be spending days upon days in the saddle & putting some serious mileage on the bike every year why compromise?

I'l report back when we've had it fitted.

logyk
25-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I've used the Scala Rider in my AGV TiTech which works very well, however I always struggled to get the speaker pads in the right place which could cause some discomfort. Having said that it was an excellent solution & I could make & receive calls on with the Zumo/ iPhone combination just fine on the Hyper up until about 80MPH but below that the person at the other end could seldom tell you were on bike. The FM radio is guff though & needs constantly retuning.

Sarah never got on with the scala rider though.

Now we're going down the BMW tourer route, we've invested in a couple of BMW System 6 helmets (flip up jobbies & pop down dark visor) - these are superb, light and so comfortable. They do a specific "Bluetooth Communication System" specifically for this lid & takes 1.5 hrs to fit at the dealer!! We've got a couple of these on order.

This solution isn't cheap but we thought bollocks, if we're gonna be spending days upon days in the saddle & putting some serious mileage on the bike every year why compromise?

I'l report back when we've had it fitted.

Rog,

I considered the BMW route but when I discovered the Caberg set up for £240 fitted I could not justify the £500 + for the BMW, particularly as this will be my second helmet to be used only on trips on the Monster. I would be interested to hear how you get on however.

JP .....I will be relying on you to remind me to switch off when we stop during our September jaunt !

J.P
25-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Don't worry I'll keep you in line. As long as you remind me to unplug my earphones from the Zumo everytime I get off the bike to stop any cartooon catastrophies.

J.P
25-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I'll be digging out my set of Interphone bluetooth units for when I do my tour in New Zealand later in the year so I'll be trying to remember to turn them off too.