PDA

View Full Version : click click click click....

skank
11-08-2009, 07:35 AM
aaargh. damn bike!

just moved house, get on bike to move it 2 miles up the road, starts and while warming up cuts out. try to start it again and all i get is click click click click, one click each time i turn the key.

anyone have any ideas? starter motor/solenoid? no turn over.

tried phoning 4 differing bike shops, not a single answer from RC, Dave Robinson or Maitland racing. there a strike on or what? :Furious::Furious:

slob
11-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Click when you turn the key or press the starter?

skank
11-08-2009, 08:26 AM
press the starter..

Pomp1
11-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Do you get lights coming on? if not is the relay.To find out if is the solenoid is easy enough: bypass it. Be prepared because if the bike starts it'll scare the cr*p of you.(so check neutral and all that)

skank
11-08-2009, 09:04 AM
i think starter solenoid, lights come on. please god not the starter motor. taking it to RC now, let someone with actual skill fix it :D

Paivi
11-08-2009, 09:23 AM
tried phoning 4 differing bike shops, not a single answer from RC, Dave Robinson or Maitland racing. there a strike on or what? :Furious::Furious:
Dave's on holidays.

My bike went to Proteam today with a solenoid issue. Must be the season for it...

Scootaboy
11-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Rosso corse closed on mondays

slob
12-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Bad earth from engine/starter motor back to chassis/battery?

skank
12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
agh, nah. it was the starter solenoid. Ray just stuck a fork (!!) type thing into the bike under the battery and boom! sparks flew and she lives again.
dude knows his **** :D

slob
12-08-2009, 02:51 PM
dude knows his ****

Of course (Corse) he does, he's been doing it since Ducatis only came in black and white.

david brent
27-12-2009, 04:49 PM
This sounds like the problem i'm having... !! can anyone tell me, is this easily fixable by someone who has little mechanical knowledge (i.e me).

at the moment my bike is stuck at work, and being this time of year its a bit of a pain arranging to get it to a garage.
its a 2005 620ie..

all help gratfully recieved...
thanks,
Daniel..

Yorkie
27-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Easy fix, one plug in connector and two nuts!!! (And a new soleniod)

Yorkie.

slob
27-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Daniel, if this has just happened to you, are you sure it's not just a dead battery because the bike's been standing in the snow for a week?

Nickj
27-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Mine did something like that the other morning.
Everything was looking happy but pressing the button didn't do anything, just clicked. With lights on nothing dimmed noticably.
So quick burst of battery charging.... click, click
Relay out and checked..... click, click, click
Relay swapped out..... click, click, click, click (starting to get bored now)
Give button a hard push (well you never know) and switch block twisted on the bars, twisted it back to more or less where it started off.
Push button once more before giving up for coffee and the motor starts first press
Rides off into the rising sun muttering

david brent
27-12-2009, 05:55 PM
thanks for the quick replies guys...
slob, at first i thought it might be the battery. it was fine in the morning, i use it every day, and ive never had any trouble before. but it was blooming cold that evening.
then i thought it might be the immobiliser, cos there was no bulb dimming..
but from reading some threads on here, thats where i got the idea for the solenoid...

so u guys think this sounds about right ??
i'll dig out the haynes manual i think...

johnsy
27-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Ray just stuck a fork (!!) type thing into the bike

Don't you just love good old fashion mechanics, no laptop needed...

Nickj
27-12-2009, 11:52 PM
I'll try that next time mine gets iffy in me, think a carving fork will do the job?

Do you need to shout magic words at the bike at the same time your poking it like 'START YOU B*****D'

He11cat
28-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Shouting is another good method Nick... with words like good thrashing .. scrap heap challenge ..oh have a jap bike as well... they hate that... you say look.. press the button and the jap bike starts and then the monny gets worried and says ok ok..il start!!..

Mine did the clicky thing but he did wait until I got home 240miles then did it..... good Hector!!