PDA

View Full Version : Differences 696 - 1100 ?

MrsJel
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
OK, so for all of those who've gone from 696 to 1100, I'm interested in finding out a bit more about the differences (I will get a ride on one sometime, but I'm trying not to be tempted too soon!)

Is the 1100's clutch lever heavier than the 696 ?

and what would be sweet would be if the termis from the 696 would fit on the 1100 and ECU same too - don't expect they would - or would they?

Still might stick with the 696 for a while if answer to first one is yes and second one is no!

Carole

Snips
09-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I had a 620, then a 696, and now a 1100s.

(I had the 620 while I lived in the States for a while, hence that 'sideways' switch)

I changed from the 696 to the 1100s as the 696 was beginning to feel a little small (though I'm only 5' 6" on a good day), I wanted a bigger feeling bike, and just a tad more power.

I test rode the 1100s, and it felt like it ticked all the boxes I wanted. Dreamy creamy torque, and really planted handling. I was concerned about the bike being slight taller and maybe heavier, but that hasn't been a problem at all.

What I didn't realise was how much I'd fall in love with the bling-tarty looks and that dry clutch rattle. The single-sided swing arm, and exposed-wheel look *gorgeous*, imo.

Not wishing to upset anyone (I loved my 696 while I had it), but I now feel the 696 looks very dull in comparison :)

One downside is that it tempts me to spend more on carbon trinkets to finish the job that Ducati started.

The clutch-lever is totally fine for me, and I have small hands that are used to computer keyboards and not physical labour ;)

What I didn't count on was how much extra power the bike would have. Going from something like 80 BHP to something like 90 - 95 BHP didn't sound like much, but the bike is now too quick at the high end for me to utilise (I like to ride within the speed limits, yeah, I know...).

As such I barely use 6th gear (and riding through 30 limits is frustrating and jerky).

I've been talking to my dealer about switch to a 14 tooth front cog, which gets great reports for fixing that issue.

So, don't test ride it, unless you want to buy one - it will seduce you with looks and charisma. Though, to be fair, the 696 was a more relaxed ride where the 1100s can more often than not feel frustrated by speed limits.

The 1100 just adds to much more Ducati goodness... oh that rattle... :)

Someone else will need to answer regarding the Termis (I don't have them), but I don't think they are compatible, sorry.

Albie
09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
the termis and ecu alas wont fit. well they may fit but ecu wont run 1100. most other parts will fit cosmetic pieces that is

MON
09-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Definitely go down one tooth on the front sprocket.

I can't believe how much better it is, both around town and at speed. You also get to use 6th gear!

Arbeia
09-08-2009, 10:37 PM
the termis and ecu alas wont fit. well they may fit but ecu wont run 1100. most other parts will fit cosmetic pieces that is

The termis from the 696 wont fit on the wider 1100 pipes so you`l have to buy new ones.:grump:

walpole68
09-08-2009, 11:47 PM
The clutch is heavier and can get a little tireing in heavy traffic but biting point not so far out which i prefer,biggest difference apart from the power is the seat height as i found the 696 too small.

MrsJel
10-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks all - that's pretty much as I thought it might be, the M1000 was heavy clutched compared to first the S2R and then the 696 and it was really stupid to think that the termis would transfer!

696 is going in for 15k service next week, so still might see if I can get a ride

Albie
11-08-2009, 10:36 AM
The clutch can be easily modded but I find it ok. You can either put a better slave on or like the race bikes take 2 springs out the clutch. Run fine on 4.