PDA

View Full Version : 1100 - rear hugger - is it a wheel off job?

Snips
09-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Can someone confirm whether or not it's necessary to remove the wheel to replace a rear hugger on an 1100?

I thought I saw someone say that once, but can't find it again.

Albie
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Someone told me today it was but personally I dont know. I guess for security wise it would be a good idea. Good luck. Saw a mate of mine today turned up on his white m1100s who's getting carbon hugger

MON
09-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes it is a wheel out jobbie, as there's a screw into the swingarm that's obscured by the tyre if you try to do it in-situ.

Snips
09-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The website (carbonworld.de) says it's 'top fitting without problems'. The carbon chain guard, however, references the need to remove wheel to get at sidearm screw. Could be wrong regarding hugger, of course.

Have you had the hugger off yourself, Mon?

walpole68
09-08-2009, 11:40 PM
You can just do with the wheel in but a pain in the a*se,really fiddly.Much easier with the wheel out.See you have the carbon bug too.

Snips
10-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks walpole68. Seems all these bits are more fiddly then I'd hope. Yeah, I have the carbon addiction. The bike just looks so tarty (in a good way ;) ), I just need to be finish off the job Ducati started ;)

Albie
10-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Im still looking for the oil cooler centre piece. There was one on ebay.de but not lately.

I actually like the plastic rear hugger but was going to infill the centre with a carbon strip.

walpole68
10-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Im still looking for the oil cooler centre piece. There was one on ebay.de but not lately.

I actually like the plastic rear hugger but was going to infill the centre with a carbon strip.

Albie if your doing carbon strips have you seen the seat cowl with the carbon strip through it to match the tank strips.

Albie
10-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Albie if your doing carbon strips have you seen the seat cowl with the carbon strip through it to match the tank strips.

no i havent. is it dp.

walpole68
10-08-2009, 08:18 AM
no i havent. is it dp.

Yes, not a good picture though.looks like standard one but has same with carbon strip running through middle from front to back to match the tanks,looks very nice in the flesh.

MON
10-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the replies.

The website (carbonworld.de) says it's 'top fitting without problems'. The carbon chain guard, however, references the need to remove wheel to get at sidearm screw. Could be wrong regarding hugger, of course.

Have you had the hugger off yourself, Mon?

I've got carbonitis I'm afraid; in addition to the c/f parts already on the 1100S:

Hugger
Chain guard ( bit flimsy, but appears to be designed to sit on top of OEM plastic one)
Complete oil cooler setup
Exhaust cover
Valve cover

I would recommend taking the wheel out and doing hugger and chain guard at the same time. They do look good together IMHO.

Albie, with regards to an oil cooler centre, try item # 120454769650. I got good service from them and it's pretty well made, although I had to use a Dremel to slightly open up the slots where the side sections fit in.

Albie
10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Ok cheers for that.

Snips
15-08-2009, 08:09 PM
OK, I fitted my carbon hugger without removing the wheel, but it was very fiddly.

You need to access a bolt with an allen key on the inside of the swing arm, accessing from swing arm side. The allen key I used would just fit between the bolt and the tyre. However, the alignment of the allen key hexagon was such that it was barely possible to get the key in and turn the key.

The first breakthrough was to remove the other two bolts holding the original plastic hugger, to allow the hugger some play such that the key could be turned more - still very fiddly however.

Once I had the original hugger removed, I had to reverse the procedure. However, while trying to start the bolt into the hole, it slipped from my fingers and onto a ledge inside the swingarm (that dark void above the chain in the first photo). I could just see the bolt with a torch, but attempting to retrieve it with pliers knocked it into a small hole to the left, down further into the swing-arm - very inaccessible.

It took a series of panic, failed recovery attempts and lots of head-scratching before my wife recovered the bolt (on first attempt!) using a bar magnet inside some cellophane attached to a string, and dangled into the void.

After that it was a frustrating, but relatively simple, task of putting the awkward bolt back in one micro-turn at a time.

The last picture shows the final result!

Albie
15-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Oh more carbon tempting going on. I want one now after all I said. Very nice

walpole68
15-08-2009, 08:24 PM
oh yes i remember that void,i just left the screw in there !

Albie
21-09-2009, 05:53 PM
My opinion is YES
I had to remove my wheel which was strangely very easy .I had to take it off to do the rear chain guard which had to be stuck and bolted. I have the carbon world one and had to put rubber tap washers between carbon and swingarm as a spacer as tehy use shoulder bolts . All looks much better and the flapper valve cover actually covers all of the piece it should do unlike ducati's effort.

Job done and VERY NICE !!!:thumbsup::thumbsup: