PDA

View Full Version : Carbon bellypan

Duke Konan
07-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Just picked up Rjbex's carbon belly pan for my S2R and when installed it touches the mid pipe near the rear wheel...probably something to do with the cat eliminator I have.

Is it likely to sustain any damage from continued direct exposure to high heat or is carbon designed to withstand that sort of heat?

Hoping someone more knowledgeable that I am will shed some light on this!

If it's likely to get damaged I'll trim it back a little...if I can figure out how!

Yorkie
07-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Can you not bend move the mount! Carbon will burn with heat contact so check it is clear all the way round before starting the bike.

Cutting carbon can/will make the cut edge look a little tatty unless you are a pro!

Yorkie

Duke Konan
07-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Oops..already rode the bike with it touching the exhaust! Fortunately it didn't burn and hopefully will hold up over the 9 mile ride home this evening as well!

What mount would I need to bend? The belly pan screws directly on to the engine and doesn't involve the use of any brackets...

Re cutting I'm not overly concerned about it looking slightly tatty as I'll only need to take off very little (scoop out an inch maybe)...or am I opening up a world of trouble?

Yorkie
07-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Can you not space it out with a washer/washers then?

Yorkie

Duke Konan
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't think washers would give me the clearance I need, it will probably have to be a bracket of some description but that will mean sacrificing some ground clearance. I'll have to think about this one...

Do I risk ruining it by doing the 9 mile ride home with it touching the pipe?

nambduke
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Dremel some clearance.......touch edge in with clear laquer.....sorted!

Duke Konan
07-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Hmm...might go down the bracket route to start with as I don't have access to a dremmel!

Space Cadet
07-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I cut down my rear-hugger with my Dremmel no problem, made a really nice clean cut and then just used a bit of fine sand paper to smooth the edge. Didn’t bother with lacquer or anything, am really pleased with the result so why not give it a go on your belly-pan. Just mask out the line with some masking-tape and a permanent pen.

bex
07-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I reckon you could file it down quite tidily? I reckon it only needed about 5mm off to clear it sufficiently

Duke Konan
07-08-2009, 01:02 PM
You're probably right there...start with the simplest solution and then move on to the more complicated!

bex
07-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one working hard today I see! ;)

Duke Konan
07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about! :look:

I popped down to the parking lot to gaze at the bike over lunch. It takes so little to make me happy!

bex
07-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Lucky wife! :chuckle:

Duke Konan
07-08-2009, 02:22 PM
The bike and I were legally joined in September 2008. Niki and I were legally joined in April 2009.

'nuff said!

(don't tell her I said that!)