PDA

View Full Version : 600 monster rear brake

Kiwi
05-08-2009, 07:29 PM
the mastercylinder on my wifes 98 600 monster is not fucnctioning too well, the piston seems to be sticking and not retruning when the brake is released

are rebuilt kits available for these? not worried if it is genuine ducati or after market as long as it gets the job done

also specs to get a new rear brake line made up, what overall length and which degree fittings are needed at each end, cutrrent brake line is too long and manky looking and not suitable for a pattern for a new one

katana
05-08-2009, 08:55 PM
the mastercylinder on my wifes 98 600 monster is not fucnctioning too well, the piston seems to be sticking and not retruning when the brake is released

are rebuilt kits available for these? not worried if it is genuine ducati or after market as long as it gets the job done

also specs to get a new rear brake line made up, what overall length and which degree fittings are needed at each end, cutrrent brake line is too long and manky looking and not suitable for a pattern for a new one

From gp direct the complete cylinder are (were) less than £20

Albie
05-08-2009, 09:04 PM
some things ducati dealers sell are very cheap servicable prices. No need to trawl the ebay and mates garages.

Kiwi
06-08-2009, 06:06 PM
From gp direct the complete cylinder are (were) less than £20

who is gp direct?

Kiwi
06-08-2009, 06:58 PM
some things ducati dealers sell are very cheap servicable prices.

have been caught out with this ploy before, when you actually pick the parts up the £40 part is closer to £80

and the nearest ducati dealer is over an hour away and probably hasn't got the parts in stock anyway

Mark Taylor
06-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Have you tried Neil at cornerspeed? 01623758877 - only just down the road at Kirkby in ashfield.

Kiwi
06-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Have you tried Neil at cornerspeed? 01623758877 - only just down the road at Kirkby in ashfield.

I have once, but I have to go past SPR to go there

Got stung with the rear brake caliper replacing it when afterwards I found out guzzi sold rebuild kits

was hoping to find out this sort of info on this website, not to worry I'll strip the mastercylinder down and find out what needs replacing and try a brake shop, this forum seems to be lacking the required information

Gilps
07-08-2009, 05:23 AM
I'm not sure if a rebuild kit is available, but Rich at Louigi Moto rebuilt mine on my 900. He has found a suplier for the seals. We blew the piston out with an airlne and cleaned up the insides. They were pretty rusty as water in the fluid had caused corrosion. With new seals everything worked fine. Maybe give Rich a call.

Trent
07-08-2009, 05:56 AM
If yours has 40mm mounting hole centres, then a complete new one is £36 from these geezers:

http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/001338/Brembo_Rear_Master_Cylinders?pt=0192&rg=12&sg=OR&st=pt&sf=latest&sd=DESC

Not sure which one your bike has, but they appear to have both types - 1 with the pipe exiting the side and 1 with it exiting the top of the cylinder.

Look at the photos next to the part numbers to confirm which one you need.

We had a couple of BMW F650s that had the same sticking problem - I think the master cylinder body starts to corrode inside and it slightly crushes the nylon bush that the plunger runs in.
On the BMWs, I pulled the plunger out and ran a very sharp drill up through the bush (by hand, not with a drill) to relieve some of the pressure - seemed to work OK.

Kiwi
07-08-2009, 06:44 AM
If yours has 40mm mounting hole centres, then a complete new one is £36 from these geezers:

http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/001338/Brembo_Rear_Master_Cylinders?pt=0192&rg=12&sg=OR&st=pt&sf=latest&sd=DESC

Not sure which one your bike has, but they appear to have both types - 1 with the pipe exiting the side and 1 with it exiting the top of the cylinder.

Look at the photos next to the part numbers to confirm which one you need.

We had a couple of BMW F650s that had the same sticking problem - I think the master cylinder body starts to corrode inside and it slightly crushes the nylon bush that the plunger runs in.
On the BMWs, I pulled the plunger out and ran a very sharp drill up through the bush (by hand, not with a drill) to relieve some of the pressure - seemed to work OK.

cheers that was the info I was looking for

gary tompkins
14-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I bought a genuine ducati one from Woods a few years ago

Cost around £35 - not worth re-building for that IMO

Pomp1
14-08-2009, 01:07 PM
I think Brembo stopped making repair kits years back due to a lawsuit brought against them in the States. Replaced mine last year, cost me under 40 quid (good value IMO) and I think it was from motorapido with a next day delivery