PDA

View Full Version : OMG how good was that

Funkatronic
04-08-2009, 05:40 PM
My first track day and i can hadly begin to tell you how much i enjoyed it.
Thanks so much to J.P. for putting it together and Yan and Paolo, Slob and Jon for putting up with my whittering (again) :) and the whether man for the sunshine.

Nice to see those faces i recognized slob, jon, yan, paolo, scraps, ladybird and those i have met for the first time, JP, gadget, ducmon, johnsy, AndyP louscanon and the others i forget sorry

Im still buzzing (and acheing)from the whole experience
the high speed coppice left hander after the paddock straight and and the intimidating park corner that comes up on you very fast after that belt up the Park straight, i was told its 1 120mph+ corner by one of the instructors but my bollox not that big. Then full bore 120+mph hanging my sizable behind off the seat to wing me round chris curve, . Through the gooseneck, down and round Mansfield , through the little cicane and up the mountain trying to keep the front down while accelerating as hard as you dare. awesome stuff
at one point thought i had over cooked it into the 2nd bend of the hall bends cos my entry point into the first bend was way too far to the right, managed to swing my body weight around, ease off a little the bike pulled me round. wow what a rush!!!

Oh God, I love my bike !!!! It performed brilliantly
never thought i could corner at those speeds. so glad i got some road legal track race scrubs recently as they were sticky as glue and as the bike was very forgiving of my less that perfect technique meant i got away with a few things.
Im sure my times were very tame by most standards but it all felt great :woot:

http://www.bdsolutions.co.uk/monster/DSC_0985l.jpg
took a couple of trips onto the grass :fou:
once on the 2nd lap of the 2nd session where i missed my entry point into the hairpin and bottled it. then in the last session i was obviously a bit tired and over confident so went
off again on the hairpin, due to sloppy entry point, and once on park corner as i just felt i was going too quick, broke too late so missed the entry point, so decided to take an amble through the weeds rather than risk hitting the run off kerbs at full lean.

I was quite lucky really i didnt come off, slobs mate Jon was not so lucky, he over cooked it into Mansfield after lunch and ran onto the grass. unfortunatey there is a steep slope there so he lost the front of the bike as he ran wide. He is fine fortunately, bikes is a bit dinged. it was a shame cos he was riding really really well, i spent many a lap trying to catch him. hope you fix her up and get back in the saddle asap mate.

My Bike is ok, i have ragged her a bit, certainly bounced of the limiter a few times and was a bit heavy on the odd gear change apart from idling at 2.1krpm! a little tlc and she will be back to normal (else another trip to see ray at roŁŁo corsŁ :chuckle: , god he must love idiots like me)

got home about midnight and up again sparrows fart to return the van!! still all so worth it.

really felt gutted for Paolo Pegboy who was refused to ride on the track due to liocences restriction, but think he made the best of it as he decided to take a very long roundabout route home on amazing roads around cadwell, lincoln etc, rather than just coming back in the van with yan and I

lessons for learn next time
bring less tat http://www.bdsolutions.co.uk/monster/IMG_0181.JPG
bring bigger balls
concentrate on better gear selection and changes and smooth throttle control
concentrate harder on nailing the the entry and apex points
bring a better ramp and try not to almost drop the bike off after bottling the ride in to the van half way up (think i win the silliest move award for that one JP even if you had gone home):dizzy::fou:

all in all, think i'm a bit sold on all this track day lark, think i might have to book another one soon :idea: any circuit recommends a bit nearer to london (apart from brands)

Bodybag
04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Awesome work fella. And a good write-up. If you want other good tracks, you could try Snetterton which is straight up the M11/A11 from London or Thruxton, just the other side of Andover on the A303. If you travel north, you could try Silverstone although thats a bit of a trek.

If you're going to spend time travelling, you may as well make it a bigger trip, a lot of track dayers will travel the night before and either stay in a hotel or in the back of their vans, ready for the next days shenanigans.

slob
04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
John's bikes already sorted, eBay will prvide the dits to do a beter job, and we're both doing Rockingham on Saturday.

Funkatronic
04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
thats great news about Jons bike Rob, hope you both have a great day please send him my best regards and tell him i hope to get a rematch sometime ;-)
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nice one Body bag, , i have u and your old crew to thank for my tyres so ta muchly. I saw a lot of serious trackdayers and you are probaby right but i'd like to be able to go on my own at short notice if necessary

yan, pegboy and i did the B&B & van thing so with other bodies in tow its all affordable (just about !!!) and alot of fun

I Think i'd like to go further afield and check out some of the circuits on the iberian peninsula ie Cartagena & portimao and maybe estoril too:-) at least we dont have to pray to the rain gods so much there :-)

thanks again for everyone involved for making it happen at cadwell

Scootaboy
04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
really cool write up!

pegboy
04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi Ali, likewise great write up, your talents are wasted you should be writting for MCN or similar. How about 10th September Mallory Park, we could do similar, plenty of time to get ready??

Going to start a new threat for this tomorrow after i have called for availability.

thats great news about Jons bike Rob, hope you both have a great day please send him my best regards and tell him i hope to get a rematch sometime ;-)
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

nice one Body bag, , i have u and your old crew to thank for my tyres so ta muchly. I saw a lot of serious trackdayers and you are probaby right but i'd like to be able to go on my own at short notice if necessary

yan, pegboy and i did the B&B & van thing so with other bodies in tow its all affordable (just about !!!) and alot of fun

I Think i'd like to go further afield and check out some of the circuits on the iberian peninsula ie Cartagena & portimao and maybe estoril too:-) at least we dont have to pray to the rain gods so much there :-)

thanks again for everyone involved for making it happen at cadwell

Bodybag
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM

Thats no problem mate. Try Focussed Events or No Limits for foreign Track packages.

http://www.focusedevents.com/index.asp
http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com

Hope this helps.

johnsy
05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Ali, likewise great write up, your talents are wasted you should be writting for MCN or similar. How about 10th September Mallory Park, we could do similar, plenty of time to get ready??

Going to start a new threat for this tomorrow after i have called for availability.

Sounds good to me :thumbsup: where do i sell my soul. I'm sure my monnie is dieing to be thrashed again.

Cartagena track is awesome, ridden it 5 or 6 times (20 minutes from where i lived)
Snetterton i found it had 2 long straights (too long for my air cooled) and not enough bends

yantheman
07-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah, brilliant day. Thanks to JP of organizing the track day in the first place. Wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for him. Thank you for Ali and Paolo in helping me loading the bike into the van and in everything in general.

Thanks for Rob and Thulli of lending me the leathers and Johnsy for offering me his spare set just in case.. I felt I was as well equipped as some of the track day regulars! :)

A wicked day!