PDA

View Full Version : Shreded belt ???????

hotch743
01-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I became the proud owner of a Ducati Monster S4r an 05 model in blue with 4,000 miles on the clock.
It was a JH Powersport ex demo then was bought by a Kidderminster owner
It has a USB Power commander, K & N air filter, and JHP twin can carbon exhaust, all tuned and set up by JHP. The previous owner looked after it very well and serviced it regularly and personally.
He changed the Belts in 08 with 2,695 miles done, the original belts where near to perfect, using genuine Kevlar belts and tensioned using the frequency method tool.
I bought and picked it up on 6th July 09, did 300 miles approx then returning from Donington after GP it drew to a halt in 100 yards like I put diesel fuel in, but didn’t. AA checked it found nothing but did get it going for 3 seconds, then starter wouldn’t turn. Had to be transported home.
Checked it thoroughly with no result. Decided to take cam covers off inquisitively.
Shock… The horizontal belt was still on the pulleys but was a rag mess split and shredded the total length of the belt. As per photo.
Couldn’t believe what I saw, for the mileage, as the top end could also be damaged.
Owned the bike for 21 days and this happens, shocked, totally peed off summers wrecked ,and skint.
Advice and related comments would be appreciated.
Sorry it’s a long read, but first post on here. Would have preferred to comment on quality.

Albie
01-08-2009, 09:57 AM
oh mate that sucks especially as belts being changed. I just wonder whether either a dodgy belt or maybe not enough usage causing the kinks in belt. Whatever it is though it has obviously done some damage. It can be fixed but whether it has put you off is the problem. Was it dealer changed btw.

Pomp1
01-08-2009, 10:00 AM
mhhhhhh.. possible overtightening? has the tensioner came loose at all? hope no damage has been done to the top end but this is one of the reason why I bit the bullet and got the belt changed by a dealer on my 4V.

desmo
01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
It's something that you don't here of very often, even on dukes that have not had the belts changed at the recomended intervals.
A number of things could have caused it from a faulty belt / tensioner seized / debris / I even saw a photo the other day of a 748 where both the camshafts had snapped!!!
There will have been piston to valve contact for sure, I would whip of the valve covers & see if there is any visible damage to the valve stems / rockers / camshaft, unless you are very lucky, the worst damage will be inside the cyl itself.

BluprintZ
01-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Welcome to the club mate.
Shame your first post had to be for advice.
Obviously something went badly wrong when matey fitted the belts?
I'm sure the rest of the crew will be along to advise soon mate.

G : )

gary tompkins
01-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Bad news and I suspect serious top end damage

A mates 748 snapped a belt and it set him back £1500 for the repair

BluprintZ
02-08-2009, 09:34 AM
!!! Would have been cheaper to have bought Albies 748!
Y`all right Gary, still in the land of ice? brr!

G : )

gary tompkins
03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
No not yet - fly out on Thursday