PDA

View Full Version : Paintless dent removal

Lucky
28-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Hello all, I am new to this forum and have just bought my first ever Ducati. It's a Monster of course - M900. :thumbsup:

Anyway my question is; has anyone had any experience or removing small dents from the tank that has not crack the paint. I have a couple of thumb sized small dents on the tank, one just by the 'D'. Don't want to damage the decals and was wondering if anyone has manage to get these sorts of dents removed successfully without any painting required.

Albie
28-07-2009, 06:03 PM
personally no ideas but welcome anyway and a great choice of bike.

Nickj
28-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Depends on the paint and if you can get at the inside of the dent.
If the paints nice and thick it will probably hold together ok if it's nice and warm, a good hair dryer will do the biz. Then a tap on the dent may pop it back out, depends if the steel stretched much when it was dented.

Lucky
28-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info. The dents are really small in size, about the side of a thumb/finger print.

Although the tank looks like its double skined, so not sure you can get to the inside. Has anyone use dent masters or the likes to get this sort of work done successfully?

Pomp1
28-07-2009, 10:39 PM
if they're that small you can use a dent puller (suction thinghy)you can get them cheap somewhere like Machine Mart. Due to the shape of the tank on the engine side to get a tool inside it is almost impossible. Oh, and welcome. Your bike look very nice!

moony
29-07-2009, 06:25 PM

Lucky
30-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Hum, that looks quite good. Any noticeable damage on the decals. Also how does the glue come off is it's stuck hard enough to pull the dent out.? What does it cost and where can I get it from?

cheers

moony
30-07-2009, 06:47 PM

Steve'o'M900
30-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah had a look on ebay and other sites, you're looking at around £15 which is worth a punt!!

nambduke
12-08-2009, 02:38 PM
....but on car bodywork and the results were brilliant. Don't know whether they work on bike tanks as the metal is slightly thicker (unless you have a plastic tank!!). Worth a phone call. Usually charge about £50 a panel on a car....they may have tools to get inside your tank. Only proviso is the paintwork must be intact otherwise they won't touch it.

Regards,
Mark

Marcustheanimal
12-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Not so useful info, but in Germany they have disposable dent pullers for small dents, you glue it on and the adhesion of the glue comes off when the dent is pulled out- no damage to paint. I will try and look it up for you later to see if it can be UK found. Im home in 2 weeks and may be able to find some. PM me to reind me if you have no joy.

Marcustheanimal
13-08-2009, 01:05 AM
http://www.microfiber-products-online.com/deoutcosetde.html

This is the thing- its just a smaller version of the dent king thing.:thumbsup:

Lucky
13-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks, Just looked it up. Price is in US dollars. Is it for US market.

Might try someone like dent masters or ding masters and see what they can do. Trouble is they are only as good as the guy doing the job, so you get good ones and not so good ones.:dizzy:

big pete
23-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Have the usual switchgear dent on my tank, got the "ding king" of e-bay for £10 and have been working away at my dent for the last couple of days. Think the thing is not to be to greedy and not try and pull it all out in a oner. Put a bit of tension on it and leave a while , go back later and put another 1/4 turn on and leave. Mine is slowly but surely coming out , quite impressed for a tenner (Scotsman after all!)