PDA

View Full Version : Do I get a 2nd bike?

Liz
27-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Well, here's a dilemma. My M600 is a '95 bike, it goes well, has about 18000 on the clock and I absolutely love it. But, do I get another bike in case this one breaks (which it will because I don't know how to look after it), or do I just keep the one bike and make sure it's serviced properly?

So, if my little monster was out of action I would be devastated. I have sort of considered getting something with a bit more power but this would be disloyal to my current bike. (Yes, all a bit 'girly' - sorry!).

BluprintZ
27-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Well, you could buy a 900 Liz, then after a few miles you would probably want to sell the "baby", without any underlying concerns of betrayal, just look upon it as a logical step forward.
Seriously though, the options are, sell the baby and get a larger capacity Monster, or keep the baby and buy a larger Monster (funds allowing)!
Either way, enrol in an evening class on motorcycle mechanics, then you'll be able to fix your own bike(s), problem solved!
Knowledge is power!

G : ) :thumbsup:

Liz
27-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Either way, enrol in an evening class on motorcycle mechanics, then you'll be able to fix your own bike(s), problem solved!
Knowledge is power!

G : ) :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Motorcycle mechanics evening classes? I'll have to check this out. Surely though, Dukes are a bit more specific? Even I can check the brake/clutch fluids and oil, put petrol in and check the tyre pressures (no offence like!).

uksurfer
27-07-2009, 09:26 PM
why would you have a spare bike???
if the one you got breaks down then get it fixed, surely it would be better to spend money on one bike then try to run two, and what happens if your spare broke, have a third one in reserve just in case?
IMHO the 600 is a fantastic bike - keep it :thumbsup:
________
Free gamestop gift card (http://bestfreegiftcard.com/gamestop-gift-card/)

Nickj
27-07-2009, 09:35 PM
what happens if your spare broke, have a third one in reserve just in case?

Superb idea there :D

Get down here with a trailer Liz and go home with an FZR600 and GT550 fits the suggestion above beautifully LOL
Oh also toss in a manual for the 600 (yours if you want one anyways)

uksurfer
27-07-2009, 09:40 PM
so you've got 2 spare bikes nick???:D
________
Caroline oguma (http://www.****tube.com/video/34846/caroline-oguma-sex-video)

chris yeatman
27-07-2009, 09:53 PM
as i am a vehicle mechanic, i would do a collage course, then u could do all ur servicing yourself

Liz
27-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Superb idea there :D

Get down here with a trailer Liz and go home with an FZR600 and GT550 fits the suggestion above beautifully LOL
Oh also toss in a manual for the 600 (yours if you want one anyways)

Thanks Nick, but my car doesn't have a tow bar and I don't have a trailer!

uksurfer
27-07-2009, 09:57 PM
you sound as qualified as me Liz, just the necessary basics, i can do oil and fluids, anything else goes to the garage, i always find it quicker if someone does it for me! :spin:
________
Rincon (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Rincon)

Liz
27-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Oh also toss in a manual for the 600 (yours if you want one anyways)[/QUOTE]

I've got a manual - it's pristine!!! ;)

Pedro
27-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Keep it well serviced and it'll be fine

Nickj
27-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks Nick, but my car doesn't have a tow bar and I don't have a trailer!

HA!!! That'll be OK the GT has got a top box, get a ball of bailer twine and tie the FZR on top.... Noooo problemo

ummm well UKsurfer more one spare bike with engine, two with just pedals, track MR2 but lost interest after killing the supercharged engine again and oversize 4WD Delica van

ColchesterM600
27-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Well my M600 has a nail in the rear tire i found it on friday and as i have to use it to get to work (around 4 miles from my house) and i have no car and you can sod off thinking i'm going to walk home at 10pm after a 7 hour shift iv had to keep filling it with air and can't get out to town till i get if fixed,
So atm i would love a second bike, so if you have enough cash get one, and me one too :)

Oooo my monster is looked after, still doesnt stop it from its 10 year old parts breaking though.

BluprintZ
28-07-2009, 12:37 AM
....Surely though, Dukes are a bit more specific? Even I can check the brake/clutch fluids and oil, put petrol in and check the tyre pressures (no offence like!).

It's probably a "how long is a piece of string" delema really Liz.
The bottom line is that the Ducati engine is basically an internal combustion engine, so as a result it can be stripped to the last nut`n bolt, rebuilt and it will run...depending on such things as competence, somewhere clean to work on the engine and the tools necessary to do the job.
It all depends how much you you want to know your bike i suppose.
The evening classes are definitely worth considering though, like anything else it all takes time but to come home from classes one evening, knowing exactly how to change the belts or how to strip and clean the clutch, would certainly be a step towards building your confidence at tackling those kind of jobs, although as i said, it doesn't happen overnight so a medium of commitment would be essential.

G : ) :)

LouSCannon
28-07-2009, 06:37 AM
it doesn't happen overnight so a medium of commitment would be essential.

Or just do what I do and throw money at people who can and see if you can stick around and watch what they do!

I'm fine with electrics and computers, but pretty rubbish with mechanical stuff, doesn't stop me having a go, I'm just aware I'll often have to make the walk of shame to the dealer now and again! :)

Plenty of web resources out there too: http://www.ducatisuite.com/basicmaintenance.html

On the subject of a second bike, I'm set to get a second bike but that's mainly due to the to me wanting to tour more and also ride during the winter (The salt in the first year on my Monster got everywhere)!

Stafford
28-07-2009, 07:22 AM
If anyone is interested there is a piece on changing belts on a Ducati 2V in Classic Bikes this month. It is such an easy job to do, go on give it a go.

Pomp1
28-07-2009, 11:28 AM
There's no reason why a well serviced and looked after monster should stop working out of the blue, 2V engines are quite strong and there's not much that can't be fixed quickly with a Haynes and some basic tools. I've got a second bike (Husky SMR 450) just because I hate to take the monster out when it rains, as the motard is a bit easier to ride on difficult conditions.

ladybird
28-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I'd like a spare bike, it drives me mental when I have to use alternative transport even just for one day.

scrapps
28-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I bought a second bike two years ago(750 ss) it was ment to be a trackday bike but has now just become a second bike. i still use it for trackday but have left it road legal as a spare incase my monster brakes down or i fall off.
also if i drop the ss on a trackday i still have the monnie to go play etc. perfecto :thumbsup:

animaluk
28-07-2009, 02:56 PM
yup i have 2 bikes my s4 for day to day and my 996 for playtime or vica versa who cares id like to add an sports classic 1000s to that as well

gremlin
28-07-2009, 03:01 PM
I always did the mechanics on my cars and would on the bike if I didn't have a man who can! Each vehical has a Haynes manual and they're pretty easy to follow so just read up on what you're doing and go for it. Monnies don't need a huge number of tools I think there's only two sizes of allen key needed to do most of the bolts and a basic set of spanners will take care of the rest.
It is daunting to start with but if you start with little things like oil changes etc and work up you'll be fine. Most nuts and bolts will need soaking in WD40 or something similar before you start because they'll be tight and watch your nails cos it hurts when you bend them back if the spanner slips!
Blokes laugh at women not being able to change tyres on cars when actually we are quite capable of doing it but they always do everything up so tight you can't undo the nuts. I don't know how many times I've jumped up and down on a spider socket thing trying to undo wheel nuts and failed miserably because they won't budge usually taking chunks out of my shins in the process.
There are courses available for ladies to do car work but I'm not sure about bikes although the basic principles are the same. Halfords do the manuals for about £20.

crust
28-07-2009, 04:08 PM
What a lot of people have said

do most of the simple servicing yourself, there's plenty of help on the net and on here

for the more technical stuff then you're quite lucky as you're close to this place

http://www.louigimoto.co.uk/

Very helpfull and used by various ruffians on here

Tip: Bring a packet of biscuits with you ;)

Worth keeping an eye out though as the older genuine Monsters are now getting seriously cheap so you might be able to get a spare for good money.

:) crust

retskcid
28-07-2009, 06:05 PM
What others have said. I found that I was spending a fortune on main dealer servicing (i do about 12k miles a year commuting), so a few years back i decided to get a cheap 2nd bike (1999 Blade on ebay replaced by my S4 also on ebay) and do my own work. Now i can have a bike off the road for weeks (fork rebuilds!) and still get to work!

Liz
28-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice - don't think I can really afford a second bike at the moment (I can always dream!). Too busy spending money trying to furnish my house, which is why I'm so worried about my bike breaking as it will be more money to spend! I hate the thought of being without it - I've got the Haynes manual and I guess I'll have to start somewhere!