PDA

View Full Version : New American Motorcycle

Bodybag
27-07-2009, 07:12 AM
The world's largest motorcycle producing countries, ranked in order, are China, then India, followed by Japan. However, a new American motorcycle might just lead to a new world order. At a press conference late Monday,
the CEO of Johnson Marine, makers of Johnson outboard marine engines and other recreational equipment, unveiled a new line of heavyweight cruiser-style motorcycles designed to compete head-to-head with industry leader Harley-Davidson.

Peter Long, Johnson's brands marketing manager said, "We have studied
the market and determined that H-D, while highly successful, has
narrowly missed the mark when targeting motorcycle buyers." Long added, "We at Johnson are convinced that our product hits the target dead center and promises to draw sales away from Harley-Davidson in a way no other motorcycle has been able to accomplish".

The new line of bikes, marketed under the name Big Johnson Motorcycles, will, according to Long, deliver what Harley has only promised. "Our research show that this, a Big Johnson, is what Harley buyers are really after."

At the unveiling of the new line, several current Harley owners agreed. "When I bought my Harley, what I really needed was a Big Johnson," said one." But I see now that riding a Harley is no replacement for having a Big Johnson."

Manager Long also said that his company would follow the lead of Harley-Davidson and cash in on a huge market for non-motorcycle related products. "We realize that not every guy can have a Big Johnson," said Long, "But image is very important to people. If they don't have a Big Johnson, they at least want to project the image of having one."

Asked if he anticipated Big Johnsons showing up in the hands of Harley owners, Long said it was unlikely. "I just don't see the need to have a Harley if you have a Big Johnson," he said. "And I can't imagine someone who spends all their resources to acquire a Harley having a Big Johnson. I think it boils down to this - You either have a Harley, or you have a Big
Johnson, but you are not likely to have both. Given the choice," said Long, "I think most guys will opt for the Big Johnson."

Another force driving sales for the company will come from women. A survey of the wives and girlfriends of nearly 1,000 potential motorcycle buyers indicates fewer than 5% would approve of their partner spending $15,000 on a Harley Davidson. But, when asked if they would be willing to pay the same amount of money to get their partner a Big Johnson, nearly 4 out 5 thought that would be money well spent.

One female present at the product unveiling was quoted as saying, "There is no way I will let Lonnie drop 15 grand on another one of those Harleys, but 15 grand to get him a Big Johnson? Well, that's something we could both ride and enjoy, and it's something he really needs."

Carla Roundheel, manager of the dealership network now being established, said her motto is simple. "I service what we sell." Big Johnson Motorcycles will be traded on the New York stock exchange under the abbreviation PNSNV.

Ginger
27-07-2009, 09:05 AM
HAHAHA!!!
I already have a Big Johnson. I inherited it from my Father. It's quite good with the occasional leak but it does need servicing from time to time (I prefer to have someone else do it for me as I don't tend to be a "Hands on" kinda guy).
The ride is nice but I don't get to use it that often as I don't have a lot of time and when I do it's usually only a quick one.
With that said it's a brilliant piece of kit although it does start to hurt after you have sat on it for a while.
:D

Catspoon
27-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I've had a big Johnson for years. Sadly it's rather worn out after years of far too much hard riding in my youth when I was known simply as 'The Bike'. It was quite amazing how many ladies would whisper if they could jump on for a while. Posh ones were the worst though, they just wriggled around all the time and never settled down. Could get quite frantic sometimes.

The other half says it just needs a good long ride but it only seems to last for a short while before conking out, which only ends up with her getting annoyed while I frantically try to make it come back to life. So now it sleeps quietly with just the occasional unveiling from beneath its covers. We both know it's there but we don't tend to disturb it much now.

;)

Ginger
27-07-2009, 09:37 PM
My big Johnson is very quick. In fact it is so quick that sometimes it's too quick for me and the Mrs. I have had the ocassional accident with my Big Johnson but when it happens I have to pick myself up, clean up my Big Johnson and put on a new helmet before going for another ride.
I always like to wear good protection when the girlfriend is riding on my Big Johnson becuase if a problem were to occur it may result in big finacial damages which would take me years to pay off!

Ducmon
28-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I inherited a Bantam rather than a big Johnson, but my wife loves the way that I can throw it through the curves and being so light it can rev up quickly.

We just donīt understand this perversion with for four strokes when two is more than enough.

Nickj
28-07-2009, 07:25 PM
When I was but a lad I trained for enduros most evenings.... hard and long, the training was

A bit more laid back now and relaxed .. still have flash backs to my youth tho :chuckle:

Enough innuendo ... Now this is a real american bike .. lacks that v twin rumble but OMG FMD waaaannntttttttt one of them!!

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/05/09/mtt-y2k-turbine-motorcycle-for-sale/

Liz
06-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm not quite sure if I should have read this thread?!! ;)

Nickj
06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Feel free to add derogatory comments Liz

He11cat
28-08-2009, 09:17 PM
I went to my local dealership and asked to test ride a Big Johnson and they told me to get out!!!....:twak:

So that's what happens when you buy a Honda!!! ......:D

I would be happy with a Monkey bike at the moment .....

DavidEJM
28-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Enough innuendo ... Now this is a real american bike .. lacks that v twin rumble but OMG FMD waaaannntttttttt one of them!!

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/05/09/mtt-y2k-turbine-motorcycle-for-sale/

That sounds fantastic!!!!

gremlin
28-08-2009, 10:34 PM
they're good in a straight line, but would you want to go around a corner without some control over the gearig ?

He11cat
29-08-2009, 01:15 AM
the Drysdale V8

750 & 1000 cc Drysdale V8 engine (19,000 RPM)
Six speed manual transmission built down under ... like it! dunno why ??? lol :rolleyes:

Kiwi
29-08-2009, 05:16 AM
I thought this was a serious thread

given the historical link between johnston/evinrude (same company marketed under different brands in us and canada) and harley

apparently Ole Evinrude assisted harley with carb development at one point in time

yellowfever
29-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I can understand that some unfortunate people might be envious of those with a big johnson and want one themselves, but as I have a monster I really wouldn't want to trade down....

:)