PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Slave Cylinder advice

wetsump
26-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I went to start my '97 M900 this morning and pulled on the clutch as I usually do before engaging the starter, and was a bit alarmed to find my clutch had suddenly gone 'all light' on me. Before doing anything silly and before starting the engine, I engaged a gear, pulled in the clutch and tried to push the bike forward. I clearly have no clutch, since the bike would not move. Starting from the top, I opened the master cylinder reservior - and discovered that it was empty - well, no hydraulic fluid in there to speak of. No obvious signs of any leaks anywhere, so I removed the slave cylinder from the side of the bike - but did not remove the hydraulic pipe. The inside was moist but not flooded in fluid, so I cleaned it off with rags and pulled on the clutch lever - and hydraulic fluid seeped out around the piston - which still moves freely within the cylinder bore. Closer examination of the oil on the side stand (I have a Scottoiler fitted) revealed that this was a mix of oil and hydraulic fluid - so the slave must have been seeping for a few weeks. There were no drops of anything on the floor under the bike - so nothing had been dripping - which would have been a tell-tale sign. I guess the seal has been breaking down over the past few weeks and I had finally exhaused all my hydraulic fluid. Thank goodness I discovered this at home and not 100miles from anywhere...

So - obvious questions:

are replacement seals available and are they worth fitting?
is a replacement slave cylinder a better investment?
does anyone have a good one knocking around that they would exchange for beer-tokens?
is a new slave cylinder an altogether better investment?
should I go for the Ducati item, or one of the alternatives?
suggested supplier and price? MotoRapido are probably my local..

Thanks..
Graham

Gilps
26-07-2009, 05:08 PM
slave seals are available. Rich at Louigi Moto managed to source some. Give him a ring on 01761 453366.

LVC
26-07-2009, 09:18 PM
or get a new MPL bigger (and easier to pull) slave cylinder IMHO :mand:

wetsump
30-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Looking around at second hand clutch slave cylinders there appear to be two types, one that uses a longer release pin, and one a shorter release pin. So I have a '97 M900. Which slave cylinder should I be looking out for - and please don't tell me "one for a '97 M900".

I need to get the bike back on the road quite quickly and can ill afford a brand new unit right now..

Thanks,
Graham

Pomp1
30-07-2009, 10:58 PM
one for a 97 M900..:D, actually you're looking for the shorter shaft type one. easily spotted: one has got a plain circle in it, the other a teethed circle.the one on this thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=34069
is the one you DON"T want. but if I was you I'll upgrade to a new shiny billet one

BluprintZ
30-07-2009, 11:09 PM
It's been a week for M900 clutch slaves...d`ya think it's something in the water?

G : )

cairojay
31-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Master and slave both just been replaced under warranty on my S4R

Duc600mon
10-08-2009, 07:07 PM
This happened on my M600 whilst at work. I then rode 20 miles home, Through rush hour traffic!!