PDA

View Full Version : Intercom 2 way

Albie
23-07-2009, 09:49 PM
been thinking about 2 way intercom. silly prices on ebay from £5 to £150 bluetooth. anyone use them. i know j.p. does.

dont want to spend a fortune and maybe caroline dont really want to talk to me but hey :biggrin:

uksurfer
24-07-2009, 06:40 AM
i'm sure chris has got a bluetooth helmet thingy, might be worth having a word with him, i think its built into his helmet and you can chat to people on other bikes with the same thing.

But your right, do you really want to talk to your pillion? I have visions of 'slow down' being shouted at me :mand: my missus does that in the car and i'm sure she'd do it on the back of a bike :running:
________
Mary Jane (http://maryjanes.info/)

barbican
24-07-2009, 07:03 AM
I suggested it to Julie - and it was her who said she enjoyed the silence. If we ever do a longer trip then I think we would try one. Instead of shouting slow down as she does in the car, I interpret the punch in the ribs to be pilion speak for the same thing:mand:

Albie
24-07-2009, 08:30 AM
what caroline said too. she says she enjoys the relative quiet, (with termi's:eek:)

its why i dont want to spend much. maybe not bother then.

Ginger
24-07-2009, 08:49 AM
What I always have read about such items in RiDE is that you have to get a good quality one. They always offer good adivce and I think if I remember correctly say that Autocom make some good ones. If you buy a cheap one, like anything cheap, it doesn't work properly. It would be okay when not moving but fire up the Monster (especially if you have termis) and you would be better off trying to communicate by Morse Code than using the intercom.
Hope this helps bud!

hydromonkey
24-07-2009, 08:58 AM
When the wife and I went to Europe a couple of years ago we used installed the autocom system to both bikes which worked well, though a bit expensive. the bike to bike as a bit tricky to get used to the voice activation as it would take a small amount of time to cut in so you would lose the first word, but once used to this it was good for giving directions and planning stops. We used the rider to pillion once on the trip and it worked very well.

I would only recommend it for long trips though as the hassle of connecting the cable and the radios does not make it worth while for a Sunday blast.

Pomp1
24-07-2009, 09:54 AM
I've got a really cheap intercom and use it almast always. Is OK to use as when I'm out with the missus is also nice to have a little chat, and my riding is a bit more relaxed in return. I like to use it. Is only 2 cables (mic/earpiece to box for both of us) so not so much of a prob. OK, the mags may say that is a piece of cr*p but they put them against 200+ quid worth of bluetooth stuff with built in this-and-that and coffee making facilities..one word of advice would be to avoid those that have the "around the ear" loop as they're very uncomfortable.

J.P
24-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Auto Com do a number of versions as do Starcomm, which is the system I use and it can do everything but make the tea.
Top end is pricey, but there are lots of simpler bluetooth versions around aswell to bring the cost down. I do have a bluetooth unit I first purchased a couple of years back but the main problem was battery life, especially if you're out all day.
And you don't have to talk to each other all the time, but makes it a hell of a lot easier when you do.

FONT
24-07-2009, 02:59 PM
I use autocom, not the cheapest but it works well.

chris yeatman
24-07-2009, 06:22 PM
i'm sure chris has got a bluetooth helmet thingy, might be worth having a word with him, i think its built into his helmet and you can chat to people on other bikes with the same thing.

But your right, do you really want to talk to your pillion? I have visions of 'slow down' being shouted at me :mand: my missus does that in the car and i'm sure she'd do it on the back of a bike :running:

yeah my helmets got intercom, and bluetooth, £150, or google, viper helmets

www.jesterstrickbits.co.uk